Have you ever met a liberal Christian who was an extreme exclusivist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:19:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Have you ever met a liberal Christian who was an extreme exclusivist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have you ever met a liberal Christian who was an extreme exclusivist?  (Read 814 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »

And by that I mean mostly toward fundies the way fundies are toward other religions. Talking about how fundie churches are abominations of lies and false and all that. I'm surprised it isn't more common, but I've seen it. I did once meet someone who from what I gathered seemed to believe that liberal to mainline Protestants and non-serious Catholics went to heaven and everyone else including evangelical Christians and serious practicing Catholics went to hell. Please note she was rather crazy in general.

Also I heard about some teens in Texas who tried to blow up an Assembly of God church calling it an abomination toward God and wrote about how they wanted to destroy every fundie church in the country.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »

Interesting.  I've never met any liberal Christians who are exclusivist in this way, but it doesn't surprise me to hear that some are.  Probably a number of liberal Christians were former fundies who lost those particular committments but didn't lose the proclivity to find those who don't believe what they do sinful.  I think that our culture has been infected from the beginiing with a kind of intellectual and spiritual puritanism, and no matter what Americans happen to think or value, they often believe those who believe and value other things than they do are condemnable, contemptable or should be banned or marginalized from society in one way or another.  For people who pride ourselves on freedom and social pluralism, for people who recite the creed of "live and let live," we as Americans often don't live up that creed so well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies