Bachmann: "Michael Steele, you be da man! You be da man!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:54:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bachmann: "Michael Steele, you be da man! You be da man!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bachmann: "Michael Steele, you be da man! You be da man!"  (Read 3136 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »

quote author=Keystone Phil link=topic=93242.msg1933199#msg1933199 date=1235867890]
Forgive me but can someone tell me why this is a big deal? Is it just because Bachmann came across ultra white? If so, it's funny.

Ask her what she thinks of non-standard English or "Ebonics" in another context, and I'm sure she'd condemn it... so for her to slip into it when trying to praise Steele is patronizing and insulting, that she thinks he's ignorant like that. It's like if someone tried to praise Scalia with a parody of 1950s tv-pizzeria Italian "thats-a one smart-a man, badda bing, capiche?"

Haha, yeah except Steele loves this type of stuff.

I'm pretty sure that Michael Steele is white at this point. Only a white guy would go out of his way to act so "black".
[/quote]

Remember the "Oreo incident(s)?" God, I love this guy!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »

I just looked up Michael Steele Gangster. Nothing.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

Forgive me but can someone tell me why this is a big deal? Is it just because Bachmann came across ultra white? If so, it's funny.

My problem with it isn't that it's condescending or racist or anything like that.  I'm assuming it was in relation to Steele's "hip hop" comment.  Rappers don't speak proper English, and Bachmann was making fun of them for it.  If anyone should be offended, it's mush-mouth rappers, not African-Americans. 

My problem with it is the fact that she sounded really stupid (again).  You're at a CPAC conference four months after the GOP got its ass kicked.  Be serious about things.  Don't act silly when you're within earshot of America.  People will vote for Republicans again when they're perceived to be smart, not cool or funny.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

People will vote for Republicans again when they're perceived to be smart, not cool or funny.

Especially considering Michele Bachmann is the basically the antithesis of both.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »

People will vote for Republicans again when they're perceived to be smart, not cool or funny.

Especially considering Michele Bachmann is the basically the antithesis of both.

I'd say the antithesis of all three.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies