Will DC Ever go Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will DC Ever go Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Will DC Ever go Republican?  (Read 15636 times)
qwerty
ghwbush
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2004, 01:16:25 AM »

It's been 40 years since they were granted electors, and the Democrats have won it in a landslide each time, obviously beause the urban population.

Is it possible that the district's three electorial votes will ever go to a Republican canidate?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 01:18:31 AM »

Not until the Republicans can gain a majority of the Black vote.  This pretty much requires a party reversal.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 03:40:09 AM »

It's been 40 years since they were granted electors, and the Democrats have won it in a landslide each time, obviously beause the urban population.

Is it possible that the district's three electorial votes will ever go to a Republican canidate?
Congress has the authority to determine the manner by which electors are appointed (they have the same role as a legislature with respect to a State's electors).  So Congress could appoint 3 Republican electors.  This is more likely than 3 Republican electors being elected by the voters.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 05:25:19 AM »

Congress has the authority to determine the manner by which electors are appointed (they have the same role as a legislature with respect to a State's electors).  So Congress could appoint 3 Republican electors.  This is more likely than 3 Republican electors being elected by the voters.
More likely to happen this year, I grant you that. But we're talking tiny fractions of a percentage point here.
In the long run, a complete realignment is not impossible. It's happened before in America, might happen some day. Alternatively, DC might become all gentryfied and the ghetto people are all forced to move to Maryland. While, in the current alignment, the city would probably still be (comparatively marginally) Democratic then, it could go Rep in a landslide.
Give it enough time, and I think either development will become more plausible than your "legal coup" scenario.
nomorelies

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 07:39:39 AM »

Major landslide
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 03:22:14 PM »

Maybe someday, but no time soon.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 05:55:40 PM »

Didn't we used to ask the same question about the South after reconstruction.  It will take a long time Smiley.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 06:35:30 PM »

If the Republicans ever nominate a minority (Hispanic or Black) or if Bush or another Republican president grants D.C. full statehood. South Carolina used to vote 97 to 3% Democratic, until Kennedy did civil rights stuff.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 06:17:35 AM »

More likely to happen this year, I grant you that. But we're talking tiny fractions of a percentage point here.
In the long run, a complete realignment is not impossible. It's happened before in America, might happen some day. Alternatively, DC might become all gentryfied and the ghetto people are all forced to move to Maryland. While, in the current alignment, the city would probably still be (comparatively marginally) Democratic then, it could go Rep in a landslide.
Give it enough time, and I think either development will become more plausible than your "legal coup" scenario.
Where are the people who live in the gentrified areas going to work?  There is only one major business in Washington.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 08:22:54 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2004, 08:23:43 AM by Beef »

The most probable scenario in the near future is someone with a lot of money bribing the electors.

I'd happily change my vote for enough money to purchase a nice, big hacienda in Bolivia and retire.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 10:33:37 AM »

Where are the people who live in the gentrified areas going to work?  There is only one major business in Washington.

Uh...the Pentagon! (okay, not that very convincing)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 10:53:48 AM »

I don't like gentrification... it doesn't solve any problems, it just moves them a few miles downwind...
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 03:48:52 PM »

The Republicans will win DC about the same time Hell freezes over, or maybe a little later.

Siege
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »

If the Republicans ever nominate a minority (Hispanic or Black) or if Bush or another Republican president grants D.C. full statehood. South Carolina used to vote 97 to 3% Democratic, until Kennedy did civil rights stuff.

Actually, I think the Republicans got about 50% of the vote from 1952 onward.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 06:33:59 PM »

Ever is a long time, but I don;t have much confidence I'll ever see it in my life.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »

If the Republicans ever nominate a minority (Hispanic or Black)

it's been proven many times again that a minority candidate for the Republicans gains them only marginally more of the minority vote, if at all. It'll never be enough to cover a 70+ point gap.

and since it took a complete party reversal for the south to vote Republican, the same would be true of DC.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 07:05:38 AM »

Republicans started to creep back into competition in the South by 1952. In the Upper South, Eisenhower actually won a number of states. The reversal was completed (more or less) by Goldwater '64.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 09:01:13 PM »

If you think that DC will turn Republican, you have no sense of reality.
Republicans started to creep back into competition in the South by 1952. In the Upper South, Eisenhower actually won a number of states. The reversal was completed (more or less) by Goldwater '64.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 05:42:58 PM »

Not unless the Democrats do something that really ticks off African-American vote. With their vote being an essential foundation of the party, I wouldn't foresee that ever happenning. The reason why the Democrats lost the south in the 50s and 60s is because they put their belief in freedom for all americans before petty politics. The Demorat's press for civil rights alienated the south, but the Democrats didn't care if they lost a large bloc of support as long as they were doing what they believed was right. That kind of thing would never happen today, either party. That is why I believe that DC will always go Democratic
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »

If they nominate a spotless black candidate, then it could be a far-off possibiliy. Maybe the Dems would score under 70%.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »

If Lincoln comes back from the dead and becomes the GOP nominee, then maybe. Otherwise no.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

It wouldn't vote GOP if Jesus himself were the nominee.
DS0816
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »

Have the Republican and Democratic parties trade names … and, in that case, the Republican Party will be able to carry District of Columbia.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »

Have the Republican and Democratic parties trade names … and, in that case, the Republican Party will be able to carry District of Columbia.

That's true because the DC voters aren't smart enough to look at the names.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:44 PM »

It wouldn't vote GOP if Jesus himself were the nominee.

I beg to differ.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies