Will DC Ever go Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:09:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will DC Ever go Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will DC Ever go Republican?  (Read 15681 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 30, 2004, 05:25:19 AM »

It's been 40 years since they were granted electors, and the Democrats have won it in a landslide each time, obviously beause the urban population.

Is it possible that the district's three electorial votes will ever go to a Republican canidate?
Congress has the authority to determine the manner by which electors are appointed (they have the same role as a legislature with respect to a State's electors).  So Congress could appoint 3 Republican electors.  This is more likely than 3 Republican electors being elected by the voters.
More likely to happen this year, I grant you that. But we're talking tiny fractions of a percentage point here.
In the long run, a complete realignment is not impossible. It's happened before in America, might happen some day. Alternatively, DC might become all gentryfied and the ghetto people are all forced to move to Maryland. While, in the current alignment, the city would probably still be (comparatively marginally) Democratic then, it could go Rep in a landslide.
Give it enough time, and I think either development will become more plausible than your "legal coup" scenario.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 10:33:37 AM »

More likely to happen this year, I grant you that. But we're talking tiny fractions of a percentage point here.
In the long run, a complete realignment is not impossible. It's happened before in America, might happen some day. Alternatively, DC might become all gentryfied and the ghetto people are all forced to move to Maryland. While, in the current alignment, the city would probably still be (comparatively marginally) Democratic then, it could go Rep in a landslide.
Give it enough time, and I think either development will become more plausible than your "legal coup" scenario.
Where are the people who live in the gentrified areas going to work?  There is only one major business in Washington.

Uh...the Pentagon! (okay, not that very convincing)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 07:05:38 AM »

If the Republicans ever nominate a minority (Hispanic or Black) or if Bush or another Republican president grants D.C. full statehood. South Carolina used to vote 97 to 3% Democratic, until Kennedy did civil rights stuff.

Actually, I think the Republicans got about 50% of the vote from 1952 onward.
Republicans started to creep back into competition in the South by 1952. In the Upper South, Eisenhower actually won a number of states. The reversal was completed (more or less) by Goldwater '64.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 05:57:55 AM »

Not unless the Democrats do something that really ticks off African-American vote. With their vote being an essential foundation of the party, I wouldn't foresee that ever happenning. The reason why the Democrats lost the south in the 50s and 60s is because they put their belief in freedom for all americans before petty politics. The Demorat's press for civil rights alienated the south, but the Democrats didn't care if they lost a large bloc of support as long as they were doing what they believed was right. That kind of thing would never happen today, either party. That is why I believe that DC will always go Democratic

Republicans voted 138 to 34 for the Civil Rights Act. Dems voted 152-96. If the Republicans didn't support the act, it would have failed.

I suggest you research Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen. That doesn't mean wiki him.

Actually, Republicans have a much better track record on 'racial' equality.
Lol. Not this sh!t again.

Are you a vile piece of garbage, or cluelessly repeating what a vile piece of garbage told you?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies