Income Tax Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:12:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Income Tax Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Income Tax Bill  (Read 4126 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 10:58:44 PM »

My count is 4-0 against, so I presume you are counting StatesRights Nay that was issued before the vote was opened as either way it looks like this bill is toast.

With StatesRights its 6...without him its 5...

Nay
Texasgurl
King
Nation
Hughento
StevenNick
*StatesRights*

Aye
Harry
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 11:04:53 PM »

Aye.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2004, 01:30:36 AM »

Nay just to be sure..
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 05:56:27 AM »

Aye.

StevenNick, even in countries where a very progressive tax system is used, I highly doubt the rich are SLAVES of the poor. Calling this bill an act to enforce slavery demonstrates a misunderstanding of what slavery actually is.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »

This bill is hereby DEFEATED 6 votes to 3.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 10:14:48 PM »

Aye.

StevenNick, even in countries where a very progressive tax system is used, I highly doubt the rich are SLAVES of the poor. Calling this bill an act to enforce slavery demonstrates a misunderstanding of what slavery actually is.

So I guess the rich are only slaves to the poor until tax free day.  That doesn't make the system any less immoral.  And look at what has happened as a result of the progressive tax system.  People on the bottom realize that they can pretty much vote themselves higher entitlements by voting for democratic candidates who soak the "rich", the small business, and the corporations of America.  What right does the poor have to the wealth of the rich?  And on what moral authority does the government act to take it from them?

And what exactly is so wrong with the fact that some people are rich?  What is wrong with the fact that big corporations make big profit?  What is so wrong with the fact that small business owners often make good money?  It's the Fortune 500 companies that provide the poor with cheap goods.  It's Walmart, not government entitlement programs, that provides poor people with the option of buying cheap food, clothes, and electronics.  It's the drug companies, not medicare, that gives consumers access to lifesaving drugs.  It's the small business owners of America, not the federal government, which provides the bulk of new jobs in America.  It is the investments of the rich, not the entitlement programs of the poor, that drives Walstreet, rewards inovation and invention, and pushes the American economy forward.

Why in God's name do we have a tax code in America that punishes the inventors, the employers, and the investors?  And at what point do we realize that by killing the goose that's laying the golden egg we're screwing ourselves over.  We're screwing our kids over.  And yes, we're screwing the poor over.

I said slavery and I meant it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 04:25:55 PM »

Aye.

So I guess the rich are only slaves to the poor until tax free day.  That doesn't make the system any less immoral.  And look at what has happened as a result of the progressive tax system.  People on the bottom realize that they can pretty much vote themselves higher entitlements by voting for democratic candidates who soak the "rich", the small business, and the corporations of America.  What right does the poor have to the wealth of the rich?  And on what moral authority does the government act to take it from them?

And what exactly is so wrong with the fact that some people are rich?  What is wrong with the fact that big corporations make big profit?  What is so wrong with the fact that small business owners often make good money?  It's the Fortune 500 companies that provide the poor with cheap goods.  It's Walmart, not government entitlement programs, that provides poor people with the option of buying cheap food, clothes, and electronics.  It's the drug companies, not medicare, that gives consumers access to lifesaving drugs.  It's the small business owners of America, not the federal government, which provides the bulk of new jobs in America.  It is the investments of the rich, not the entitlement programs of the poor, that drives Walstreet, rewards inovation and invention, and pushes the American economy forward.

Why in God's name do we have a tax code in America that punishes the inventors, the employers, and the investors?  And at what point do we realize that by killing the goose that's laying the golden egg we're screwing ourselves over.  We're screwing our kids over.  And yes, we're screwing the poor over.

I said slavery and I meant it.

Who is better off, a person making $250,000 and being taxed 40%, or a person making $25,000 and being taxed 20%?

The poor do not drag the rich around, beat them with whips, bring them thousands of miles from their home to work for them, and give them nothing for it. Whether a rich person is taxed 30% or 40%, tehy are still well-off. Your gross misunderstanding of slavery sickens me, we really need to spend more on schools, so our children know what slavery was and is. 
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 08:02:52 PM »

Spend more money on schools??  We spend more money on education than any other country in the world and we don't rank anywhere near the top as far as student achievement is concerned.  SPENDING MORE MONEY WILL NOT SOLVE ANYTHING SO LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO EMBRACE LOW STANDARDS FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS.  Your idea that we can solve the problems of the world if only we steal more money from the rich and spend it on social programs is simplistic and naive.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2004, 05:47:04 AM »

Spend more money on schools??  We spend more money on education than any other country in the world and we don't rank anywhere near the top as far as student achievement is concerned.  SPENDING MORE MONEY WILL NOT SOLVE ANYTHING SO LONG AS WE CONTINUE TO EMBRACE LOW STANDARDS FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS.  Your idea that we can solve the problems of the world if only we steal more money from the rich and spend it on social programs is simplistic and naive.

We can only raise standards if we increase funding. I have nothing against raising standards, but telling someone they have to do better but not giving them the resources to do better is wrong. Because of bills that raise standards and are then underfunded, such as No Child Left Behind, states such as Texas and Michigan have been forced to lower the amount of questions neccessary to "pass" their state tests, because they need the funding that would come from passing a test. Do you support penalizing schools that do poorly by giving them less government money?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2004, 07:28:32 PM »

I don't support federal funding of public schools so the issue is moot.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies