flag desecration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:33:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  flag desecration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Down with them?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: flag desecration  (Read 14537 times)
Redefeatbush04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2004, 07:03:25 PM »

Yes. The state shouldn't regulate whether a piece of cloth heats up or not. Uh, I mean the laws.

That piece of cloth means somethign in the U.S. Americans tend to be proud of thier country, where as Canadians have nothing to be proud of.

Canada has less crime, higher life expectancies, clean cities, and a far less corrupt government. Just because they do not have an over-zealous military you assume they have nothing to be proud of.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2004, 05:19:32 AM »

if freedom of speech is what you stand for, then you should give people the freedom to burn, or spit, or do whatever they want to do with your flag. if u dont like it, there are other ways of channeling your anger than bombing their country, which is probably why those people are burning your flag in the first place.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2004, 06:13:53 AM »

if freedom of speech is what you stand for, then you should give people the freedom to burn, or spit, or do whatever they want to do with your flag. if u dont like it, there are other ways of channeling your anger than bombing their country, which is probably why those people are burning your flag in the first place.

We're mainly talking about people in the U.S. burning the flag.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2004, 03:06:30 PM »

We're mainly talking about people in the U.S. burning the flag.

he/she does bring up a good point though
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2004, 10:40:53 PM »

Flag burning is free speech? well then let me exercise my 2nd amendment and and put a few rounds into you.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2004, 10:58:51 PM »

Flag burning is free speech? well then let me exercise my 2nd amendment and and put a few rounds into you.

Because I'm sure a human life is worth about the same price as a piece of fabric
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2004, 11:45:16 PM »

Flag burning is not really political speech. It should be legal, but I don't buy the free speech argument.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2004, 02:28:38 AM »

The second amendment says you have a right to bear arms.  Technically, nowhere does it say that you can use them. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2004, 02:29:29 AM »

Flag burning is not really political speech. It should be legal, but I don't buy the free speech argument.

Not political speech?  I don't think people who would burn an American flag are just doing it because it seemed like a neat idea.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2004, 01:07:51 PM »

How is burning a flag free speech?  What part of burning a flag involves speaking?

Anyways, Flag-burners are just trying to get attention and it works. Ignore them and they may go away and possibly accidentally set themselves on fire.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »

How is burning a flag free speech?  What part of burning a flag involves speaking?

A picture is worth a thousand words. I think they are painting a pretty good picture of how they view the government when they light that governments flag on fire.  I despise flag burning but they have a right to display their discontent. They are not causing our nation any harm. They are only causing a piece of fabric harm. I would be perfectly happy if the skull and crossbones was our national flag. Our nation would be the same, and would still stand for freedom no matter what design was on the flag. Our nation would be different if we took away the freedom to protest.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2004, 02:26:45 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2004, 02:28:47 AM by TJN2024 »

yeah to u brits in the forum, i think this is where we conservatives and you leftys over the atlantic agree

the image of the jack burning makes ur blood boil, over a thousand years of glorious history being destroyed, its horrible to see a symbol that instills such pride of a country planted firm on the side of justice being desecrated

perhaps we question this matter because although we are truley the most powerfull country in the world it took but less than 200 years to get there, we are the teenager with an aresol can and a zippo lighter, we dont know how to carry ourselves and therefore we often desecrate ourselves

in time we too may be somthing of what britain was once, and it will give us pride and will give us somthing to hold fast too sure weve had struggles that have united us but nothing (not even september 2001) that has made it permanent hopefully the day we change will be soon, i have a feeling it must be soon or the teenager with the flammables will set itself on fire
Chiahead

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2004, 07:15:58 PM »

The American flag is near and dear to my heart, but we can't force those who don't respect the flag to respect it.  They have the right to do so even though the action may be vile to think about.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »

Flag burning is awful.  Its almost as awful as attempts to curtail free speech.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies