Crawford, TX newspaper endorses Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:37:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Crawford, TX newspaper endorses Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crawford, TX newspaper endorses Kerry  (Read 4872 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2004, 01:13:12 PM »

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - The newspaper in President Bush (news - web sites)'s adopted hometown of Crawford threw its support on Tuesday behind Bush's Democratic rival, Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites).

The weekly Lone Star Iconoclast criticized Bush's handling of the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and for turning budget surpluses into record deficits. The editorial also criticized Bush's proposals on Social Security (news - web sites) and Medicare.

"The publishers of The Iconoclast endorsed Bush four years ago, based on the things he promised, not on this smoke-screened agenda," the newspaper said in its editorial. "Today, we are endorsing his opponent, John Kerry."

It urged "Texans not to rate the candidate by his hometown or even his political party, but instead by where he intends to take the country."

Bush spends many of his weekends and holidays at his Crawford, Texas, ranch.

The Iconoclast's publisher and editor-in-chief, W. Leon Smith, said the newspaper is sent to Bush's ranch each week. "But I don't know if he reads it," Smith said.

The Kerry campaign welcomed the endorsement in an email to reporters.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 01:18:01 PM »

This paper definitely has a purty name.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 12:26:16 AM »

Damn liberals. I'm not paying or using government social security, no matter what happens.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 12:33:31 AM »

I guess Bush better start campainging in Texas now.  Better bring Rudy, Arnold, and McCain in now.  
To be serious, the name of that newspaper is great.  Makes the St. Louis Post Dispatch and the Chicago Tribune sound boring... though I do like the name of the Chicago Sun Times quite a bit.  

Obviously the impact on the race is almost zero....but it is still interesting that the paper in Bush's own hometown would endorse Kerry, especially since it endorsed Bush 4 years ago, and thus can't merely be discounted as a liberal rag.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 01:15:52 AM »

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - The newspaper in President Bush (news - web sites)'s adopted hometown of Crawford threw its support on Tuesday behind Bush's Democratic rival, Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites).

The weekly Lone Star Iconoclast criticized Bush's handling of the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and for turning budget surpluses into record deficits. The editorial also criticized Bush's proposals on Social Security (news - web sites) and Medicare.

"The publishers of The Iconoclast endorsed Bush four years ago, based on the things he promised, not on this smoke-screened agenda," the newspaper said in its editorial. "Today, we are endorsing his opponent, John Kerry."

It urged "Texans not to rate the candidate by his hometown or even his political party, but instead by where he intends to take the country."

The Iconoclast's publisher and editor-in-chief, W. Leon Smith, said the newspaper is sent to Bush's ranch each week. "But I don't know if he reads it," Smith said.

Meaningless.

My home town paper endoursed "anybody but Bush" in January and Kerry in April, but that is only because the editor-in-chief is a known partisan hack who has been bashing Bush since Day 1.  He even had the nerve to call Bush a "coward" two days after 9/11 because Bush didn't recklessly rush back to the White House for a good photo op.

That means nothing.  My area will never go for Kerry in a million years and I expect Bush to carry it with 60%+ of the vote on election day.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 05:04:35 AM »

Damn liberals. I'm not paying or using government social security, no matter what happens.

What school do you go to?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 07:12:26 AM »

Meaningless.

My home town paper endoursed "anybody but Bush" in January and Kerry in April, but that is only because the editor-in-chief is a known partisan hack who has been bashing Bush since Day 1.  He even had the nerve to call Bush a "coward" two days after 9/11 because Bush didn't recklessly rush back to the White House for a good photo op.

That means nothing.  My area will never go for Kerry in a million years and I expect Bush to carry it with 60%+ of the vote on election day.
When Bush wasn't in NYC by the evening of 9-11, everybody outside the US thought, "What an incredible coward. That couldn't happen here."
It was only later that I noticed cowardice had nothing or very little to do with that. It was actually a stroke of genius, telling Americans that America rather than Manhattan (and we all know what lots of heartland Conservatives think of Manhattan) had been attacked.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:49:33 AM »

This makes little difference at all, Idaho's largest paper endorses the Dem's all the time, and you don't see Idaho voting Democrat.
nomorelies

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 12:04:01 PM »

Idaho lies to the wrold. so thats in line with bush dont you think.

Look at yukka, marijuna etc.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:06:32 PM »

What the hell does that have to do with social security?
nomorelies

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 12:07:37 PM »

Social Security should be abolished too. I am sick of paying for people who cant be bothered to get a job
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 12:26:18 PM »

Amusing, but as Nym said, little real importance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 12:27:18 PM »

What the hell does that have to do with social security?
If it's a state school, a lot.
weallbleed
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 12:39:47 PM »

He even had the nerve to call Bush a "coward" two days after 9/11 because Bush didn't recklessly rush back to the White House for a good photo op.

So what? should it have been illegal to criticize Bush then? At no point since Bush has taken office would I express a positive opinion of him. On 9/11/2001, my opinion of him was just as negative as it is today. He has always been a worthless idiot in my eyes.

My opinion of Kerry is hardly much more positive though.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 01:53:31 PM »

Idaho lies to the wrold. so thats in line with bush dont you think.

Look at yukka, marijuna etc.

So you want to start up the old debate huh?  What does Idaho lie about?  Please, please start this one again, I can't wait.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 10:37:04 AM »

Come on nomo, let's get it started if you want.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »

Has it not occurred to any one that the Lone Star Iconoclast might want Bush back home in Crawford?

Permanently!

Still, it's good to see an editor exercising his social conscience.

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies