Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-S.C.) is in. Another GOP Congressman flees DC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-S.C.) is in. Another GOP Congressman flees DC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-S.C.) is in. Another GOP Congressman flees DC  (Read 1241 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2009, 11:04:10 PM by Lunar »

SORRY FOR THE BIASED TITLE THAT'S JUST WHAT IT FEELS LIKE.  It's all like whaaaa? I mean, how many are we at now? 

Florida's 12th congressional district: Adam Putnam: To run for Florida Commissioner of Agriculture.
Michigan's 2nd congressional district: Pete Hoekstra: Possibly to run for Michigan Governor.
Oklahoma's 5th congressional district: Mary Fallin: To run for Oklahoma Governor.
South Carolina's 3rd congressional district: Gresham Barrett: To run for South Carolina Governor.
Tennessee's 3rd congressional district: Zach Wamp: To run for Tennessee Governor.

And then we have KBH in Texas and Brownback in Kansas, and then Gregg, Voinovich, Martinez, and Bond

via Scorecard:

Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-S.C.) will be announcing today that he is running for governor of South Carolina.

The four-term congressman will be announcing his campaign through an e-mail to South Carolina Republicans which will include a videotaped statement of his candidacy, according to the Associated Press.

"Tomorrow morning, bright and early, we're going to send out an e-mail to our supporters announcing my intentions," Barrett told the AP. "I'm going to work my fingers off: working, getting to know people in South Carolina, sharing my vision, seeing people.”

Attorney General Henry McMaster and Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer, both Republicans, are also exploring gubernatorial campaigns of their own. Barrett would begin a primary campaign with less statewide name recognition than McMaster and Bauer, but will boast a strong conservative resume from his tenure in Congress.

Gov. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) is term-limited and cannot run for a third term.

Barrett has $713,000 in his Congressional campaign account, which he can transfer for a gubernatorial bid.

Barrett becomes the eighth House Republican to announce he’s not running for re-election; all of them are looking to run for statewide office.  And all represent solidly Republican seats in Congress.

Barrett’s district is heavily Republican and is expected to remain in GOP hands. It gave President Bush 66 percent of the vote in 2004. President Obama only won 35 percent of the district-wide vote, according to estimates compiled by the Swing State Project blog.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »

Strom Thurmond Jr. is thinking about running for his seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »

Strom Thurmond Jr. is thinking about running for his seat.

He has no wikipedia, have a link.  Google news search gives me a link a couple years ago where he was announcing God's plan for his life that didn't include Congress.

http://www.aikenstandard.com/Local/0217StromGOP

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »

Eh, I was kind of wrong. I skimmed this article and thought it was deeper than Roll Call just wishing it would happen: http://www.rollcall.com/issues/54_19/politics/27360-1.html?type=printer_friendly
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies