The problem with many Ron Paul supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:38:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The problem with many Ron Paul supporters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The problem with many Ron Paul supporters  (Read 4685 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

They refuse to admit his faults, and criticize those who bring them up: http://conservativehq.com/blog_post/show/136
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »

The problem with Ron Paul supporters is that they're Ron Paul supporters.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »

the second page of comments is more intelligent than the first
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

The problem with Ron Paul supporters is they only exist to annoy both parties. Seriously, they go around with a holier than thou attitude, threatening to disrupt conventions and conferences because no one will give their guy a chance to run. Furthermore, the majority of his supporters are lesbians and guys with tight jeans and shaved heads.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »

*puts fingers in ears*

LALALALALA I can't hear you LALALALA CAMPAIGN FOR LIBERTY LALALALA
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »

*puts fingers in ears*

LALALALALA I can't hear you LALALALA CAMPAIGN FOR LIBERTY LALALALA

That is exactly the problem with many Ron Paul supporters.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »

I was a clear Ron Paul supporter during the campaign, but this is one instance where I disagree with him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »

As someone in the comments section said, I wonder what Ron Paul would say about the Constitutional authority for him to place Houston shrimp advertising in an appropriations bill.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »

Which is different than your typical W and Obama supporters in what way?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure if the DailyKos called out Obama on a broken, liberal, campaign promise, that people wouldn't quit the site.  In fact, they routinely criticize liberal politicians for not being liberal enough whenever I pay them a visit to observe what the left-wing blogosphere is complaining about these days.

here's a case where Paul was accused of not being conservative/libertarian enough
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:28:26 AM »

Some would.  Are you trying to say Obama fan boys are rational?  You've never seen a W fundie (not many left) go ape sh**t defending W?  There are no blogs out there about Obama full of people acting the same way as these jackasses for Ron Paul?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »

That's true.  Good point.  I was amused by the "you've just lost a member" comments most of all.  But yeah, I dare say, I've even seen irrational crazy partisans on this very site.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »

Some would.  Are you trying to say Obama fan boys are rational?  You've never seen a W fundie (not many left) go ape sh**t defending W?  There are no blogs out there about Obama full of people acting the same way as these jackasses for Ron Paul?

Paul supporters are by and large the worst in this respect. The cult of personality surrounding him is, proportionally speaking, much greater than the one surrounding Obama, Reagan, or any other politician in recent memory.

This is in no way a reflection of Ron Paul, or libertarians as a whole... simply a number of Ron Paul supporters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 02:15:16 AM »

Paul supporters are by and large the worst in this respect. The cult of personality surrounding him is, proportionally speaking, much greater than the one surrounding Obama, Reagan, or any other politician in recent memory.

This is in no way a reflection of Ron Paul, or libertarians as a whole... simply a number of Ron Paul supporters.
Oh, I know.  You never saw me with a Ron Paul sig or heavily pimping the guy have you?  I like him alright, but yes, his fans are nuts.  It's why I don't associate with them, I don't want people think I'm nuts too (errrr...more nuts).  And I'll agree that the average Ron Paul fanatic is a bit nuttier about him than your average Obama fanatic is about Obama.  They have a much bigger hill to climb.  Plus they are all stoned gun owners, do we really want to anger them?

But this attitude isn't exclusive to Dr Paul's supporters, they're just better at it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:00:31 AM »

I think W supporters could admit his faults.  I've never met anybody who's defended everything W did like some of Paul's supporters I've run into.  Obama supporters have the same fault a lot of times too; however, Obama is relatively new to politics, so I think the amount of people blindly defending him will go down.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:10:37 AM »

Well sure, now they can.  He was a hero to the magnetic yellow ribbon crowd for awhile there.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Paul may not be new to politics, but he didn't make many mainstream waves until this past election cycle.  I agree with the gist of what you're saying though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:18 AM »

On the other hand, every reasonably successful third party (which Ron Paul essentially was) movement will depend on some sort of strong cult of personality.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »

Aye.  He's just not a very good poster boy.  We need Bruce Willis!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »

I was like 5-6 year olds during the first Perot.  But I suspect that Perot, while surrounding himself with whom he was rather than his ideology, was more of a product of:
1) insane amounts of personal money rather than a successful grassroots marketing strategy
and 2) the way things were before the internet. 

I suspect any successful third party/ideology candidate nowadays, especially one who relies on the internet, will have to base a movement on personality.  I doubt a Perot-like candidate (with the same personality) would have done nearly as well in 2012 as he did in 1992.  Any counter-partisan movement inherently requires a magnitude of charisma behind it, otherwise there'd be nothing to distinguish it from previous years!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »

No the problem with many Ron Paul supporters is that they support a vile and anti-human ideology and have no touch with reality (other than that pseudo-reality backed up by mysticism a certain branch of economics).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »

No the problem with many Ron Paul supporters is that they support a vile and anti-human ideology and have no touch with reality (other than that pseudo-reality backed up by mysticism a certain branch of economics).

aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »

Better than Obama and the massive stimulus bill. I'm a libertarian. Paul was the closest Republican to my views, so I supported him. He's not perfect, but he's the best we've got.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 02:43:14 AM »

Better than Obama and the massive stimulus bill. I'm a libertarian. Paul was the closest Republican to my views, so I supported him. He's not perfect, but he's the best we've got.

You see - that's what I wish ALL Ron Paul supporters were like.  That was a normal view of Ron Paul.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 12:11:46 AM »

I see, so theft and murder are humanitarian?

As for the issue at hand, while I disagree with what he is doing, there is a valid argument for it without him being a hypocrite. I also disagree with him on abortion, immigration, and the Constitution's effectiveness. However, that's still miles ahead of anyone else in politics.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 12:55:10 AM »

Ron Paul wants to return the economy to pre Fed, pre-16th amendment times when there was the gold standard. Ron Paul wants you to never read this wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Depression
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies