The problem with many Ron Paul supporters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The problem with many Ron Paul supporters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The problem with many Ron Paul supporters  (Read 4720 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« on: March 09, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

Some of Paul's supporters can be a bit too radical. But for the most part it has died down since the election. Now we have the radical supporters of Obama.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »

Well there is a difference between anarchy and libertarianism. I think SPC is more of an anarcho-capitalists than a libertarian though. Anarchy = no government and no respect for rights of others. Anarcho capitalism = no government, but respect for rights of others. Libertarianism = minimal amount of government to protect rights.

The funny thing about those radically opposed to libertarianism is they seem to think there is a big difference between Bush, McCain, and Obama. All 3 are Patriot Act loving, interventions, massive government spending, pro-corporate bailout statists. Obama promised more government transparency and no more Washington insiders and yet he failed to do that. Looks like the next 4 (or 8) years won't be much different from the last 8.

I guess it's a good thing there hasn't been anything libertarian about Bush or Obama since the last 8 years have been so wonderful and the next 4 are already off to a great start.

Maybe the problem with Ron Paul supporters is they are smart enough not to believe Obama's BS.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »

Well there is a difference between anarchy and libertarianism. I think SPC is more of an anarcho-capitalists than a libertarian though. Anarchy = no government and no respect for rights of others. Anarcho capitalism = no government, but respect for rights of others. Libertarianism = minimal amount of government to protect rights.

Well, anarcho-capitalism is a smaller branch of libertarianism. The dominant minarchist branch believes in minimal government to protect rights, though I'm skeptical of how that could work in practice, given that every government has a tendency to expand beyond its "limits".

Because we elect Republicrats instead of people who care about the constitution. With the right people (such as Ron Paul), government won't expand. We just need to stop putting the wrong people in, which is easier said than done.

I'm skeptical when the Republicrats give us McCain and Obama and tell us we are free because we get to pick one of them.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17:16 PM »

But given that the Republicrats have rigged an already rigged system in their favor, I wouldn't count on that happening. Since more honest people tend to go into non-political professions, that usually leaves the dishonest to be politicians. We had a Constitution once and it failed, so I don't see how returning to it would prevent big government from happening again.

I see your point. If we went back to a form government intended by our founders, would the country as a whole be smart enough to keep it that way, or would it eventually end up back in its present state? I would lean towards the latter happening.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies