The problem with many Ron Paul supporters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:25:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The problem with many Ron Paul supporters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The problem with many Ron Paul supporters  (Read 4691 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: March 10, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »

The idea that libertarianism in any way promotes life, liberty or property is frankly absurd and is why no one takes you (plural) seriously.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/libertarian
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Emphasis mine.

I don't think Verily was arguing against the theoretical defintion of libertarianism, but rather what would happen if libertarianism were ever seriously applied.

Libertarians themselves obviously believe in maximizing individual rights...but in my opinion, fail to realize that not everybody has such noble goals as they do, and that a libertarian society would offer little protection for those that are victims of discrimination, because libertarians would argue that intervening, regardless of what the case is, would be an infringement on rights.

In the economic sense, pure libertarianism can't promote economic liberty in practice because it in no way provides for equal opportunities for all. Sure, in theory, everybody gets exactly what the market allows...but certain things are necessary in order to be competitive in a market economy, such as health and education. Without providing for equal opportunity, people will always be put at an advantage or disadvantage not based on their own merit or intelligence...but soley based on the money they get from family or inherit. Here as well, theory and practice are entirely different matters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies