Obama to repeal stem cell funding ban on March 9th (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:53:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to repeal stem cell funding ban on March 9th (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to repeal stem cell funding ban on March 9th  (Read 4295 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »

If you had any respect for science, you wouldn't oppose this research.

It is perfectly possible to have a great deal of "respect" for science and, yet, still have ethical qualms about research that crosses (or approaches) certain lines.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »

If you had any respect for science, you wouldn't oppose this research.

It is perfectly possible to have a great deal of "respect" for science and, yet, still have ethical qualms about research that crosses (or approaches) certain lines.
Of course. Another example would be animal testing. It revolutionized medical and science research. Before that, we had to dig up bodies in the middle of the night and cut them up. We've always done the "unethical" way of research and we're probably all here because of it.

I would rather not list here even a small section of the horrors caused by unethical medical and scientific practices over the years, although I'm more than prepared to do so. If you don't think that ethics matter, you have no business ever being in any position in which you might seriously influence the life of another.

The lack of even a basic level of mealy-mouthed toleration on this issue is disturbing... although, I guess, it's a reflection on what western (and especially American) political discourse has turned into in recent decades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies