What percentage of people in jail are innocent of their convicted crimes? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:42:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What percentage of people in jail are innocent of their convicted crimes? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What percentage of people in jail are innocent of their convicted crimes?  (Read 8904 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 07, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »

I'd guess less than 10% to be safe, but it is probably well under 5%.  If it's higher than 10% then we've got a huge problem.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »

I think 1% has to be acceptable.  It sucks for that one percent and we should do everything within reason to bring that number down even lower, but you can't remove all errors in a system as full and complex as this.  I'm of the mindset that I'd rather let a 100 guilty men go free than to have one innocent in jail, but I think it's unavoidable.  You will always have innocents in jail.  Kids will still die of cancer.  Old ladies will still get pushed down stairs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »

I guess when I posted that I was thinking of the death penalty.  I always get disgusted whenever someone is let off of Death Row because DNA evidence proves them innocent all along.  It makes you wonder what was going on before DNA evidence (a systemic flaw). 
It turns my stomach to think about.  It's one thing to die tragically on the side of the road or at the hands of a bad guy or disease, but to die tragically at the hands of the state when you are innocent of the accusations is abominable.  History is full of such cases and everyone of them is horrible.  Thank God for DNA.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »

You forget the last time we did the prison rape thing?  It doesn't happen anywhere near as often as we generally think it does.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:12 AM »

In approximately 75% of the cases where people are taken off death row, the innocent people put there got into that situation because of false witness testimony.
You GOT to have a cite for that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »

Yes.  Your cites don't say anything about what the overall rate of innocence would be.  Stats on over turned cases don't have any solid correlation with cases that were not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »

Yes.  Your cites don't say anything about what the overall rate of innocence would be.  Stats on over turned cases don't have any solid correlation with cases that were not.

That's what my second link is for, which clearly shows that the way police interrogate eyewitnesses now predisposes people all over to making terrible mistakes.
Clearly?  Assuming this is the site, nothing is clear there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 12:51:39 AM »

It's a page full of links to .pdf files.  You expect me to dig through that looking for your point?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 01:16:21 AM »

I don't have hours to dig into incarceration rates and what methods police use to question witnesses.  If you're point is so clear, why can't you link to one or two .pdfs and quote the appropriate part somewhere in your post.

I'm at work, I can't open YouTube links.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies