1960 Kennedy picks Freeman instead of Johnson for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:26:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1960 Kennedy picks Freeman instead of Johnson for VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1960 Kennedy picks Freeman instead of Johnson for VP  (Read 1919 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »

In 1960

Massachusetts Senator John F Kennedy picks two term Minnesota Governor Orville Freeman for Vice President instead of Texas Senator Lyndon B Johnson.

Freeman nominated Kennedy at the 1960 Democratic National Convention, and Kennedy respected and admired Freeman, and could work well with him.

Question

Would Kennedy still defeat Richard Nixon in the 1960 Presidential election with Freeman instead of with Johnson as his VP candidate?

John F Kennedy/Orville Freeman vs Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge

Please discuss using maps if you wish.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

JFK loses Texas, but wins everything else:
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »

Nixon/Lodge                              266
Kennedy/Freeman                     252
Unpledged Electors                     19

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:32 AM »

This probably results in a backroom deal throwing those unpledged electors into the Kennedy camp, in exchange for a crackdown on the Civil Rights movement and Federal support for segregation.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »

This probably results in a backroom deal throwing those unpledged electors into the Kennedy camp, in exchange for a crackdown on the Civil Rights movement and Federal support for segregation.

But what makes you think that a basically liberal President from the northeast from a family with a strong pro civil rights and anti segregation background would ever go for a deal like this?

I believe there is no way that Kennedy would or could go for this deal.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »

But what makes you think that a basically liberal President from the northeast from a family with a strong pro civil rights and anti segregation background would ever go for a deal like this?

Kennedy wasn't a huge liberal (he actually cut taxes by 20% from the Eisenhower years), and he waivered badly on civil rights - he could probably have been bought out by reactionary interests in the South if it meant the Presidency.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

Kennedy wasn't a huge liberal (he actually cut taxes by 20% from the Eisenhower years), and he waivered badly on civil rights - he could probably have been bought out by reactionary interests in the South if it meant the Presidency.

But at what cost?  Selling his soul for the Presidency?

I know that JFK was not considered to be a liberal in the sense that Teddy Kennedy is today, however, he would be turning his back on the black population, a key Democratic constituency, even in 1960.  This could mean major problems for the Democrats for a generation.

I doubt JFK would have done it, unless he uses it as a ploy to get the Presidency, then backtracks, and supports civil rights anyway.  I do not doubt that JFK, or any of the Kennedys for that matter, would have stooped to this level for power.  After all, look at how they stole Illinois in 1960, with the help of the Mafia.  After the Mafia won Illinois for JFK, he then turns around and attacks them through his brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy.
johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »

Another 1960 scenario, my favorite year.  I just finished David Pietrusza's  book, "1960".

The election of 1960 boiled down to this:  The Northeast was Kennedy's, the West was Nixon's, the election wold be decided in the Midwest and South.  Would Freeman bring additional strength in the Midwest to offset the lack of a Southerner (Johnson) on the ticket?
I think not.  Kennedy won IL and MI by small margins.  I don't see Freeman making a difference in OH, maybe WI.  As for the South, that is another matter entirely.

I believe any Democratic Vice Presidential choice EXCEPT Johnson would have caused Kennedy to lose in 1960.  Without LBJ on the ticket, Texas, and possibly North and South Carolina would have voted Republican, but the number of unpledged and rebellious Electoral College members would have increased, stealing those votes from Kennedy.

JFK's Catholicism was a BIG issue in 1960 as well as the Civil Rights Movement in the first Presidential Election since Little Rock.  Kennedy running without LBJ would have caused a southern  defection from the Democratic Party in 1960 similar to the elections of 1948 and 1968. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies