The Smid Proposal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:00:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Smid Proposal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Smid Proposal  (Read 8075 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 15, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »

I've been told about it but have yet to read it. I think, if it works as he suggests, it will be a strong system.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »

Okay I've now read it. It makes sense to my (British) ears and certainly ramps up participation. As I suggested to Smid it is something that can be built on or simplified. I think DWTL is correct in saying that it will need explaining, not just written but 'visually' (flow diagram perhaps?) This doesn't mean it's complicated - if it's adopted and starts it should run itself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »

It may be worth also considering the posibility of representing a set region/seat/constituency. It was something I had thought about it my on hiatus British sim - where the person sitting had to know about his area, what it's issues were and was to defend them. With a fully active lower house, you could have say 3 people registered in Wisconsin - so Wisconsin is split into 3 'seats' and each person represents a part of the state - urban, rural etc. If someone leaves, it's split into 2.

That can allow for a permanently active Boundary Commission, perhaps with some attempts at (and attempts to stop) gerrymandering.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies