NJ-Rasmussen: Christie by 15
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:58:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-Rasmussen: Christie by 15
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NJ-Rasmussen: Christie by 15  (Read 15807 times)
Zarn
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 11:33:28 PM »

Px75: United States of America (as much as I hate the name)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 02:02:32 AM »

So it's the promise of small government and fewer taxes?  As if Christie's appointer ever lived up to that promise...

Is Bush really the only person you can compare any Republican to?  Hasn't it been well enough established that NO ONE likes Bush, thus he is not the gold standard for Republicans.  Not that he ever was in the first place.  Christie will be a break from the same old garbage that we've had this entire decade.  It's painfully clear that the Democrats have absolutely no interest in actually fixing New Jersey's immense problems, so why would we not want to try a Republican?  Corzine has failed at everything he promised, which is not surprising given he neither knows our laws nor intends to follow them.  Anyone would be better than the Democrats in this state.  They have taken their one party control and completely checked out years before they even had the Governor's mansion back.  Basically the entire state government is a complete and utter failure and it's beyond time for any change to occur.  All this aside, the Bush thing doesn't really work anymore, I'd try something else.

Bush's name keeps coming up not only because he was the leader and the face of the Republican party for the last eight years, but also (and perhaps more importantly) because of the loyalty and deference which showed to him during that period all the other Republican leaders.

Bill Frist, Dennis Hastert, Mitch McConnell, Tom DeLay, John Bhoener. They all bragged about small government, but when push came to shove they stayed silent while Bush was presiding over ballooning deficits and the biggerst government expansion since LBJ. That is of course when they weren't busy doing the deed themselves (Terry Schiavo anybody?).
Hell, even so called moderates like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain in the end became Bush apologists.

And whoever didn't fit the mold, was vilified with impunity by the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter (Lincoln Chafee, Chuck Hagel).

So please, don't feign surprise and outrage when someone mentions Bush as the model Republican, even months after he left office.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »

He isn't the model republican, now. Even during his term, a lot of Republicans could not stand him. No, Rush isn't either.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

Bush's name keeps coming up not only because he was the leader and the face of the Republican party for the last eight years, but also (and perhaps more importantly) because of the loyalty and deference which showed to him during that period all the other Republican leaders.

Bill Frist, Dennis Hastert, Mitch McConnell, Tom DeLay, John Bhoener. They all bragged about small government, but when push came to shove they stayed silent while Bush was presiding over ballooning deficits and the biggerst government expansion since LBJ. That is of course when they weren't busy doing the deed themselves (Terry Schiavo anybody?).
Hell, even so called moderates like Rudy Giuliani and John McCain in the end became Bush apologists.

And whoever didn't fit the mold, was vilified with impunity by the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter (Lincoln Chafee, Chuck Hagel).

So please, don't feign surprise and outrage when someone mentions Bush as the model Republican, even months after he left office.

I think you think you're arguing with someone else.  I'm not defending Bush or any of the other Republicans that bowed down to him.  I can't stand any of them and strongly disapprove of nearly all Republicans in national politics.  And I am not surprised, I'm annoyed.  Eight years + of the same mediocre attack gets irritating.  The point is that there are a lot of different kinds of Republicans, especially when you get off the national stage.  And more importantly, no one, not even Republicans, wants more Bush and his cronies.  So you don't have to worry about us voting for one in the primaries, especially in New Jersey.

I am not saying that you like Bush or that you defend him. I'm just making an observation.
If these leaders, which you so despise, weren't so subservient to Bush, then the Democrats wouldn't wield with such ease and persuasion his name around to stigmatize your party and it's candidates.

And of course if these attacks were so mediocre, they wouldn't be so effective during the 2006 and 2008 elections.

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »

I think you think you're arguing with someone else.  I'm not defending Bush or any of the other Republicans that bowed down to him.  I can't stand any of them and strongly disapprove of nearly all Republicans in national politics.  And I am not surprised, I'm annoyed.  Eight years + of the same mediocre attack gets irritating.  The point is that there are a lot of different kinds of Republicans, especially when you get off the national stage.  And more importantly, no one, not even Republicans, wants more Bush and his cronies.  So you don't have to worry about us voting for one in the primaries, especially in New Jersey.

But how much do you know about Christie anyway?  Isn't the fact that he was appointed by the guy you despise bother you?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »

He has nothing to do with Bush at all.

Until Corzine and the Dems beat into everyone's skull that he was a Bush appointee.

They had no problem calling Doug Forrester "Bush's Choice" so they'll definitely bring up Christie's Bush ties.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

He has nothing to do with Bush at all.

Until Corzine and the Dems beat into everyone's skull that he was a Bush appointee.

They had no problem calling Doug Forrester "Bush's Choice" so they'll definitely bring up Christie's Bush ties.

No one wants to hear about Bush anymore and as little as one year later, people are going to stop caring altogether.  It worked on Forrester because people actively hated Bush then.  Now is different.  Though I'm sure they'll try it anyway.

Eh, I hope you're right.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »

Corzine raised the sales tax to pay for Homestead Rebates for taxpayers and has now canceled the Homestead Rebates.

Game over
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »

I agree. He is just a small fry, compared to the Feds, though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »

I don't think a Republican governor would propose eliminating the property tax rebate for middle class homeowners, like Corzine did.  He'd cut the Trenton bureaucracy first.

NJ property taxes aren't high because of bureaucrats in Trenton. Unless you're a Trenton homeowner, in which case your property taxes probably aren't very high.

One of the main causes of high taxes in N.J. is local government.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »

Christie has secured the Bergen line with about 500 of 600 votes.  Any more counties that haven't given him the line?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »

Christie has secured the Bergen line with about 500 of 600 votes.  Any more counties that haven't given him the line?

He's won every county that has given an endorsement so far. There are still a few more to go.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

Just out of curiosity... do Democrats in NJ feel the same way about Corzine?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »

I don't think a Republican governor would propose eliminating the property tax rebate for middle class homeowners, like Corzine did.  He'd cut the Trenton bureaucracy first.

NJ property taxes aren't high because of bureaucrats in Trenton. Unless you're a Trenton homeowner, in which case your property taxes probably aren't very high.

The property tax rebate comes from Trenton, not local government.  The whole reason the state enacted the income tax in the first place was property tax relief.  Corzine wants to get rid of that.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

Just out of curiosity... do Democrats in NJ feel the same way about Corzine?

Yes, and some even dislike other Dems currently in office. They want Dems, but they don't want these Dems. If it means a term or two with Republicans to clear out corruption in the Democratic ranks, then so be it.

Still, Corzine does have some supporters. It's not like every person in the state cannot stand him.

That said, this is my conversations with Dems, not a polling statistic, so take it with a grain of salt. I have heard of Dems elsewhere in the state feeling the same way.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »

The latest Rasmussen poll had him bleeding 23% of Dem support.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »

That's mindblowingly low. I'm sure at least 65% is everyone floor when it comes to your own party's support.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »

So I've gotten word that one of the other candidates in the race has some serious dirt on Christie and he will be making it public within the next few weeks. I don't know if I believe that the scandal is as bad as it's being made out to be (the source thinks it will end Christie's campaign) or if there is even a scandal at all but I like to report what I hear.

By the way, the dirt will come out after the filing deadline (April 6th) so the establishment wouldn't be able to replace Christie with one of their hand picked candidates.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 02:37:57 AM »

So I've gotten word that one of the other candidates in the race has some serious dirt on Christie and he will be making it public within the next few weeks. I don't know if I believe that the scandal is as bad as it's being made out to be (the source thinks it will end Christie's campaign) or if there is even a scandal at all but I like to report what I hear.

By the way, the dirt will come out after the filing deadline (April 6th) so the establishment wouldn't be able to replace Christie with one of their hand picked candidates.

IF this happens, can't he pull a Toricelli?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:38 AM »

It's Jersey.  As long as Christie wasn't caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, it probably won't matter.  Heck, these days, even being caught in bed with a live boy might not matter to Jersey voters as long as he's of age and not on the government payroll.  The "Gay American" governor desensitized the state to that.

And it's not like Corzine doesn't have his own scandals.  The only one who could benefit would be Lonegan in any Republican primary.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 08:40:35 AM by Verily »

I would assume it is Lonegan. Lonegan is in the race ideologically opposing Christie from the right. The others are just in there for giggles and because they think running in a statewide race will raise their name-rec for a future Congressional run (not if you're slaughtered, duh). Lonegan is the only other one who actually wants the nomination.

Lonegan v Corzine would be hilarious. Easy Corzine reelection, of course; Lonegan is exactly the sort of candidate who drives everyone back to the Democrats.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

The property tax rebate comes from Trenton, not local government.  The whole reason the state enacted the income tax in the first place was property tax relief.  Corzine wants to get rid of that.

Right, and there is demand for property tax relief because people are paying extraordinarily high property taxes to their local governments in the first place.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »

Is this as credible as the "whitey" tape?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »

IF this happens, can't he pull a Toricelli?

Only Dems find a way to bend the rules so blatantly in NJ so no.

It's Jersey.  As long as Christie wasn't caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, it probably won't matter.  Heck, these days, even being caught in bed with a live boy might not matter to Jersey voters as long as he's of age and not on the government payroll.  The "Gay American" governor desensitized the state to that.

What don't you get about NJ being a very partisan, Dem state? Scandals obviously hurt Republicans more than Dems.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hmmmm...yeah...exactly...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »

Not buying it, even so I think Lonegan would have a shot against Corzine

*waits for laughter from Dems*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4