Liberal, conservative, libertarian, populist and moderate states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:36:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Liberal, conservative, libertarian, populist and moderate states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberal, conservative, libertarian, populist and moderate states  (Read 20497 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Which state do you consider as liberal, which as conservative, etc ?

I did these map to illustrate this 5-way contest :

Blue : liberal states
Yellow : conservative states
Green : libertarian states
Red : populist states
Grey : moderate states

What do you think about it ?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »

Pennsylvania's populism is vastly over-rated.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »

I think this whole dichotomy is over-rated.  Nevada is not nearly as "libertarian" as it's made out to be.  It has its prostitution laws because it is less religious, and loves money.  I don't think those two alone add up to "libertarian."  A state like Montana would never turn down federal funding on principle.  Etc. etc...

I think a lot of people think of their political views in terms of liberal/conservative, but not libertarian/populist.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »

Each state has it's own areas of a lot of the following. In South Carolina, you have the upstate, which is socially conservative outside of the Columbia area, which is home of the government and minorities. Then you have the coasts lowcountry, which contain more economic conservatives, liberals and less social conservative types. Charleston is turning into a metropolitan area with a healthy gay community. Outside of it, you still have those who want to kill them. There's no one type of ideologue here in South Carolina. We have more conservatives than liberals as a whole, but that does not describe the state as a whole.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:48:12 AM »

The states I represented in grey are those were two very different electorates with about the same importance exist. In oregon, for example, if the coast is as liberal has California an Washington, the heatland is also as conservative as neghboring rocky mountain states. About Kansas and Nebraska, I probably shoul put them in yellow rather than in green. Colorado and Nevada are not only libertarian states, both have a very conservative electorate as a very liberal one. Finallly, I should maybe put in grey some southern states Clinton won.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:24 PM »

Red: Conservative through and through
Gray: Moderately conservative overall; rural areas are quite conservative and urban areas much more moderate
Green: More populism and pockets of liberalism than gray states; mix of red and blue
Blue: Liberal is not a bad word for a large % of population
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:19:38 AM »

Red: Conservative through and through
Gray: Moderately conservative overall; rural areas are quite conservative and urban areas much more moderate
Green: More populism and pockets of liberalism than gray states; mix of red and blue
Blue: Liberal is not a bad word for a large % of population

Epic fail.

Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Arkansas not populist?

Also, Liberal is a bad word in most of what geographically constitutes the state of New York.  If New York City were 60-40 Democrat then New York would be a Republican state.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »

It's too bad Al probably won't reply to this post, because I'd love to see his commentary on the idiocy that somehow Kentucky, Arkansas and West Virginia are economically right-wing states.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »

Epic fail.

Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Arkansas not populist?

Also, Liberal is a bad word in most of what geographically constitutes the state of New York.  If New York City were 60-40 Democrat then New York would be a Republican state.
[/quote]

I debated putting those 3 states in the gray but they are way too socially conservative for that. I also think some of the economic populism in that area might be dying off, but I could be wrong. You also have a good point about NY, but I guess I would just consider most upstaters to be more moderate, particularly on social issues. In all reality though, pockets of conservatism and liberalism exist in almost every state. States with large urban populations and a decent area of rural voters (like PA and IL) are very hard to judge. Do you really call PA a "liberal" state when many parts of it vote like OK? On the other hand, the Philadelphia area seems more in line with NYC thinking. Missouri is another hard case. St. Louis is a pretty liberal city that fits in better on the East Coast than anything else in Missouri. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »

I can't even begin to imagine a scenario in which New Jersey, Maryland, Colorado, and Washington are all referred to as populist.

Oh wow. I didn't even notice that.

I debated putting those 3 states in the gray but they are way too socially conservative for that. I also think some of the economic populism in that area might be dying off, but I could be wrong.

If the economic populism is dying off, why are the Republicans getting nowhere on the state level?

Also if NYC voted only 60-40 for Obama, he would've still won New York state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »

OK here's my map:

Gray doesn't really mean "moderate" so much as "too polarized to neatly fit in any category". And some of the other states are gross oversimplifications obviously.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »

Personally, I think the only state that could truly be called "libertarian" is New Hampshire, and even that's a stretch.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 01:50:25 PM »

Why is Maine populist?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »

Wrong. Obama won upstate New York with around 56% of the vote. That's without New York City (or the inner suburbs: Long Island, Westchester and Rockland) at all.

You are right that "liberal" doesn't describe upstate New York all that well. Although that is definitely changing.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »

Wrong. Obama won upstate New York with around 56% of the vote. That's without New York City (or the inner suburbs: Long Island, Westchester and Rockland) at all.

Also keep in mind that McCain only won two upstate CDs.

You are right that "liberal" doesn't describe upstate New York all that well. Although that is definitely changing.

Yes, though it is still less conservative than most non-urban areas outside the Northeast.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »

Pennsylvania's populism is vastly over-rated.

Agreed.  PA is an overall center-left state (D+2 to +3) with solid portions of all 4 ideologies.  I mean what state elects Bob Casey, Ed Rendell, Arlen Specter, and Rick Santorum within the last 20 years?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »

This thread is extremely silly albeit kind of of fun to look at.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies