Presiding Officer Nominations/Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presiding Officer Nominations/Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Presiding Officer Nominations/Election Thread  (Read 5361 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Though we have no procedure for it, how do we go about handling this?  It appears Verily will accept the nomination many have given him and that no one wishes to oppose him.

Here are what I think are our options:
1.) Hold a nomination and vote period
2.) Name Verily PO and ask for any objections, and if any are raised a vote will be held
3.) Write-in: _________
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »

I think anyone who wanted to nominate would have done so by now, but we might as well keep nominations open 24 hours and voting for 24 hours after that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:01:04 AM »

Option 3: Have an official nomination period in this thread. Nominate Verily.

Which I hereby do.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2009, 12:16:55 PM by Verily »

I hate to cut this short, but I'm not going to be able to accept a nomination for the position of Presiding Officer after all. Details will be posted relatively soon.

Details: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=93865.0
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »

Congratulations Verily, that's amazing news. Smiley

Since Verily will be unable to hold and exercise the position, what are the other degates' opinion of Purple State holding the position?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

I hate to cut this short, but I'm not going to be able to accept a nomination for the position of Presiding Officer after all. Details will be posted relatively soon.

Details: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=93865.0

Very many congratulations Verily. Definitely a cause worth more than the forum.

Since Verily will be unable to hold and exercise the position, what are the other degates' opinion of Purple State holding the position?

While I thank you for the shout-out Marokai, I am not currently a delegate of this convention and it would take widespread consensus among the delegates for me to consider that (if it's even allowed).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

While I thank you for the shout-out Marokai, I am not currently a delegate of this convention and it would take widespread consensus among the delegates for me to consider that (if it's even allowed).

We don't have any established rules at this point so there shouldn't be any conflict. Rules can be entirely determined be the delegates as far as I know.

We need an active and articulate person dedicated to Atlasia and willing to have such a big workload, I can't think of many others that meet the definition.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

I'd propose Afleitch or Smid, without knowing if either one has any interest.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 12:29:57 AM by Smid »

Verily, as I said in your other thread, congratulations! I'm very excited for you and your wife!

When you posted yesterday about not being a delegate but wanting to contribute, I almost suggested that we nominate you for the position, however I'd already spoken in favour of Verily holding the position and thought it best to not be changing around. Since he's had some exciting news that will prevent him chairing the convention, I certainly would have no problem with you, as a non-delegate chairing us, assuming you're willing to make the time committment. Indeed, the fact that you don't hold a vote may actually assist in the chairmanship remaining impartial.

We need an active and articulate person dedicated to Atlasia and willing to have such a big workload.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Also as you said - there is nothing in the rules of procedure that would prevent us choosing PurpleState, but if delegates were uncomfortable with nominating a non-delegate, that would be the decision of the meeting.

While I'm in favour of PurpleState chairing us, I agree with Franzl that Afleitch would also be good. While I was thinking about Afleitch for chair, I realised that the delegates here are all active posters, most of whom understand procedure - so pretty much any delegate would be great to have in the role (I realised this when I thought that Lewis, Franzl and quiet-achiever Dead0man would be good in the role and tried to remember who else was elected as a delegate). So long as the chairman keep things flowing smoothly, I think any delegate would be a good chair and I think that PurpleState would be a good chair, Al would be a good chair... just about any active member (who wasn't elected delegate) with a knowledge of meeting procedure (to keep things flowing) would be a good chair.

So after my long and winding paragraph there, I'm very happy for the convention to invite PurpleState to chair our meeting - if that is the will of the delegates.

Pressing on (since this is a nominations/elections thread)... I'd like to second the nomination of PurpleState by Marokai.

I'd also be like to second Franzl's nomination of Afleitch if he agrees to the nomination. I'd accept a nomination if you put it, although I would still cast my vote for PurpleState.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »

I second the nomination of Afleitch.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »

I second the nomination of Smid, the PO of a convention should be a person with a personal vendetta against the largest party in Atlasia.  I look forward to getting beyond the grudges, but certainly do not wish to give Afleitch the PO position.

Note, I do not request that the PO even been someone ideologically compatiable, or even someone I get along with.  I was perfectly fine with Verily.  I only request, and I assume most other delegates from party do as well, that the PO be someone not named Lewis, Al, or Afleitch
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »

I second the nomination of Smid, the PO of a convention should be a person with a personal vendetta against the largest party in Atlasia.  I look forward to getting beyond the grudges, but certainly do not wish to give Afleitch the PO position.

Note, I do not request that the PO even been someone ideologically compatiable, or even someone I get along with.  I was perfectly fine with Verily.  I only request, and I assume most other delegates from party do as well, that the PO be someone not named Lewis, Al, or Afleitch

I do think you need to let what goes on outside of this Convention remain wholly separate from what goes on in here. As far as the Convention is concerned there are no parties or regions among participants. It is just those trying to build the best proposal for a new Atlasia. Choose someone who will be effective, calm, and efficient. Someone with good ideas.

I want to thank you and Marokai for your confidence. After that glowing commendation I will accept your nomination for presiding officer of the Convention.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »

I third the nomination of Afleitch.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:36 PM »

I'll be supporting Purple State
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »

I think afleitch would be an excellent PO.  This Convention should be non-partisan, and I think afleitch will do just fine in that role.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 05:43:17 PM by Like Night & Day, White & Black »

Afleitch isn't even around right now. PS is always active and has dedicated himself a great deal to Atlasia.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »

It'd be a mistake to not consider Afleitch just because he's not here this week. I think he'll be back this weekend....I think we can wait that long to see if he even has any interest.

Not to say that Purple State would in any way be negative...but for somebody that wants to "keep all options" open regarding this convention....it should only be fair that we wait.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

It'd be a mistake to not consider Afleitch just because he's not here this week. I think he'll be back this weekend....I think we can wait that long to see if he even has any interest.

Not to say that Purple State would in any way be negative...but for somebody that wants to "keep all options" open regarding this convention....it should only be fair that we wait.
I disagree, the convention needs to get under way and secondly Afletich's vendetta against the RPP isn't going to be over.  Franzl, it would be quite hypocritical of you to criticize me for being overly partisan for thinking that my own party would vote for me, but not criticize Afleitch for having a vendetta against my party that he has spoken about ad naseum.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »

I nominate afleitch, Purple State, and Smid.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »

I disagree, the convention needs to get under way and secondly Afletich's vendetta against the RPP isn't going to be over.  Franzl, it would be quite hypocritical of you to criticize me for being overly partisan for thinking that my own party would vote for me, but not criticize Afleitch for having a vendetta against my party that he has spoken about ad naseum.

Please, can we act all as non-partisan?

To the Convention to be successful, we need to not act like party hacks, anti-party hacks, anti-somebody hacks or something like that.

Everybody, please forget your personal conflicts for the sake of the future of Atlasia. It would be great than the political life is not around pro and against RPP forever.

I think than this should apply to everybody, from DWTL to Lewis to Afleitch and all other people.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 05:55:01 AM »

I don't mind partisanship...it's the way that it is carried out in some cases that I don't like.

But I don't regard the Constitutional Convention as a partisan place one way or the other. We should leave Atlasian politics completely out of this.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »

I would recommend the delegates start on the voting (if someone could open a booth or we could just leave it in this thread). This thread is beginning to move beyond nominations and into discussions of partisanship, etc.

Just to make it easier, I believe the nominees are:

Smid
Afeltch
Purple State

Or voting can just start in here. Rank your top two choices, keep voting open for 72 hours.

Any objections?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2009, 04:38:34 PM by afleitch »

So my vendetta therefore must extend to standing against Smid's proposal? Which of course I don't. Smiley It's you that's making a big deal of this. I've made it very clear in the past - my beef is only with you

And thank you all for the nomination. I hope to be back home by Saturday to comment on the various discussions/proposals.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »

Will you accept votes for PO, Afleitch?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »

Will you accept votes for PO, Afleitch?

Yes. But I won't be voting for myself. Smiley Smid and Purple State have a strong record (for a new member PS has been invaluable) and I think they will be able to devote time and energy to the role of P.O. I will be running for Senate, so I ask people to bear that in mind.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies