Ohio Governor 2010/Quinnipiac: Gov. Strickland (D) comfortably ahead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:35:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Ohio Governor 2010/Quinnipiac: Gov. Strickland (D) comfortably ahead
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Governor 2010/Quinnipiac: Gov. Strickland (D) comfortably ahead  (Read 2631 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

Strickland (D): 50%
DeWine (R): 34%

Strickland (D): 51%
Kasich (R): 31%

In a GOP primary for that nomination, DeWine leads Kasich 32 - 27 percent, a closer race than in February when DeWine led 37 - 22 percent.

From March 10- 15, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,299 Ohio voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points. The survey includes 463 Republicans, with a margin of error of +/-4.6 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1284.xml?ReleaseID=1276
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »

You should also note that Stricklands approvals are down a net 12 points. Also, DeWine has gained 6 net points in his matchup and Kasich has gained 10 net points.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »

That's a lot weaker than it was last time (approvals and topline numbers).  Could be just an outlier, or not - we need to see another poll.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »

People aren't really crazy about Strickland here, and I really think polls are overestimating his favorables. Its more of a factor that the GOP is a joke here.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »

People aren't really crazy about Strickland here, and I really think polls are overestimating his favorables. Its more of a factor that the GOP is a joke here.

Strange - I never thought of the GOP in OH as being a joke (like IL, for example).  They appear to be one of the few state GOPs that knows how to clear primaries for candidates, for one.

Maybe I really don't know anything.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:21:20 AM »

Strange - I never thought of the GOP in OH as being a joke (like IL, for example).  They appear to be one of the few state GOPs that knows how to clear primaries for candidates, for one.

Maybe I really don't know anything.

The Ohio GOP isn't a joke, they're still an extremely viable party here.  They've just had a couple off years which is partially their fault for nominating idiots (Blackwell) and having too many corruption scandals (Taft and Ney) but a lot of it has been a factor of the unfavorable environment for their party.

IMO, the reason Strickland is sinking is because he hasn't had a major piece of legislation go through that addresses any of the big issues Ohioans are thinking about right now.  Plus, people are still trying to figure out what they think of his school reform proposal and thus far no one has come out to give it a ringing endorsement as far as I know.  I haven't really heard either party's reaction to it either.  All in all, Strickland has been very bland and I highly doubt he'll be re-elected by the staggering margin he had in 2006.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »

I would say that if the election were to day or things stay exactly the way they are Strickland will be reelected 55-45. However in recent elections I have seen incumbents with 20 point lead, yet only be at 51%, this far out, go on to lose. Virginia 2006 comes to mind as does NC 2008 but they both had candidates that sucked big time. Strickland seems stronger politically then those clowns and he is also a D. But the economy is bad and while that is out of Strickland's hands and he shouldn't be blamed in anyway for it, it will make people agitated and it will magnify any other issues that could pose a problem for Ted. We also need to see how good of a candidate John Kasich is in a statewide race. Plus having been out of office since 2000 means his name id is artificially low. Basically a long winded version of its "too early to tell".
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »

Being at the low 50s in terms of approvals and poll numbers is right on the edge of problems, if, of course, this poll is accurate (I have no clue actually).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:55:19 PM »

Being at the low 50s in terms of approvals and poll numbers is right on the edge of problems, if, of course, this poll is accurate (I have no clue actually).

Basically a simpler version of what I just said. We shall see with time whether Strickland becomes safe or this seat becomes competative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies