Opinion of this pastor (see details)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of this pastor (see details)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See the below link.
Great

Satisfactory

Hm...Neutral

Poor

Ugh

Who?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Opinion of this pastor (see details)?  (Read 2135 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:25 AM »

He houses a child killer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090318/ap_on_re_us/child_killer_pastor
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »

He served his term.  He has to be housed somewhere.  Would you prefer he live on his own, without religious guidance?  Given that dichotomy, I approve.  Doesn't mean that I don't think the pastor is overly sympathetic.

Also, "satisfactory" at what?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:23:48 AM »

"Satisfactory" means a positive opinion, but not as much as "Great". It means OK, somewhere in between great and neutral.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »

Where do you think the child killer should go?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 02:03:10 AM by Alcon »

"Satisfactory" means a positive opinion, but not as much as "Great". It means OK, somewhere in between great and neutral.

I understand what "satisfactory" means, haha.  It just seems like a weird way of describing the morality of an act.  It's like a marketing survey.  What do you think of the ethicality of Rev. Pickney's decision?  Somewhat satisfied, all right.  And now, how about your Verizon™ phone service...?

And if we're describing the person, we're trying to judge if he's a "satisfactory" human being based on a context-free news article that doesn't interview the guy?  Maybe this is the worst mistake of his life.  You haven't indicated why; you haven't even answered where else he'd go ("back to jail" is a non-answer and is not always just, anyway.)  But even if it were, that defines him?  People are not the grand sum of the keyhole images through which we see their lives.

I'm sorry.  I feel for these people.  I genuinely do.  But it is NIMBYism.  If I had kids, I'd be utterly terrified.  But they have no more right to not be utterly terrified than anyone else with kids.  And the guy has to be somewhere in society, if he has any hope for redemption.  Hopefully, there is a God who will make this whole unfortunate matter Just.  But, failing that, I see no superior option.  That considered, maybe we should all turn to Matthew 7:1-6.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:22:40 AM »

I voted "Ugh" and appear to be the only one who voted.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »

I voted "Ugh" and appear to be the only one who voted.

And now for the fun part:  Why do you hold this belief?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »

He brought a child killer into this town. Of cours they aren't going to like him.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2009, 02:41:48 AM by Alcon »

He brought a child killer into this town. Of cours they aren't going to like him.

You're committing a logical fallacy.  You can find as many flaws in A as you want.  But simply dismissing A does not mean you do not have to evaluate B for potentially being even worse.  You have to prove that B>A, too.

In this case, A is having this guy in a pastoral home in a small town.  What is the B that is so superior to A that A justifies an "ugh" vote for this guy's life?  What is the option that is superior at all?

The predictability of the town's emotional response is non-point (beyond whatever ethical "value" you assign the emotional turmoil on the locals -- but I don't see how that's not there with B, too.)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:51 PM »

I have to agree with Alcon - where else is this guy going to go? He's got to live somewhere.

As far as how I view the priest, well, he seems to be following that whole "forgiveness" creed that Christians are supposed to be big on, so he's probably not a hypocrite. Reading a few more articles on this suggests that:

"Pinckney stands by his position of forgiveness and says that too many people don’t understand how Christ can change a person, and offer renewal and forgiveness." (supposedly the killer found Jesus in 1993)

Here's another article:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Pastor+tells+why+he+took+in+killer&articleId=176f2193-7b7b-47b6-a741-1fbeb06c229b

Some important details:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So he's taking more precautions than the law requires just in case.

I'm going to vote "Great" since this pastor actually seems to practice what his religion preaches but is also being smart about it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »

He's not a priest.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »

Semantics. The job description is largely the same - they preach to their flock.

It speaks volumes of your own opinion on this issue that this is all you can muster against my own argument. So, Mr. Claims-to-be-Christian, why is it that you think "Ugh" of this pastor for acting in a forgiving manner? That's what Christians are supposed to do, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »

And the rest of the people in the town have to put up with it. That's not fair.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2009, 01:08:59 PM by SE Magistrate John Dibble »

And the rest of the people in the town have to put up with it. That's not fair.

Again, where else do you propose he live? You have consistently failed to answer this question. People somewhere are going to have to deal with him living close to them, what makes it worse in this town than in any other?

Heck, let me use your exact same logic in a situation where you'd be all up in arms. I want to build a strip club in their town. The people don't want me to but I'm going to do it anyways. They'll just have to put up with it. That's not fair.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »

Put in my neighborhood, I wouldn't care. Urbanites are used to having such people around. This town shouldn't.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

Put in my neighborhood, I wouldn't care. Urbanites are used to having such people around. This town shouldn't.

Yeah, let's put him in your neighborhood with less restrictions and nobody to help him stay on the right track. That's the right thing to do because nobody will be bothered by it. Roll Eyes

By the way, you're ugly and annoying. Your presence bothers your neighbors. Why should they have to put up with it. That's not fair.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »

If you put so much stock into people's reactions when determining the ethics of being somewhere, why are you still posting here?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies