Marokai AG Confirmation Hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:05:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai AG Confirmation Hearing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marokai AG Confirmation Hearing  (Read 4472 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »

Hello everyone, I would like to call to order the confirmation hearing of Attorney General nominee Marokai.

Ask any questions of the nominee that you wish.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

Marokai,

I understand that some pretty horrendous things have been perpetrated against you by a poster under the name "Julius Francis." I must admit, however, I haven't followed the case as closely as I should and am unaware as to whether this poster has been banned or if the matter is currently before the mods.

If the matter has not been satisfactorily resolved, do you intend to prosecute the poster in question and what steps will you take to ensure no conflict of interest arises?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »

Alright...first of all, congratulations once again that you were appointed by President bgwah to this important office.

I'm confident that you will make a good Attorney General, if confirmed, which I think is quite likely as of now.

Having spoken privately with you about your intentions concerning the Wiki, I would ask you to repeat and explain to the Senate your ideas and goals in that matter.

Otherwise...I don't believe I have much more to add. I'll leave any specific legal questions to my fellow senators.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »

I, for one, believe that you will make a great Attorney General, and believe that you have demonstrated a genuine grasp of Atlasia law. I eagerly await the vote.

That said, I second Franzl here. What are your goals, and what do you wish to accomplish in this post?

I am not aware of any specific legal problems.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »

The Wiki is currently in a deplorable and out of date state, to the point that it's not very useful at all. Would you work actively to update it? If possible, I'd like for the next AG to set up a timetable or benchmarks or something, so that we know that the wiki is being updated on schedule, rather than just whenever the AG gets around to it during their spare time.

Otherwise though, I think you'll make a great AG, and I intend to vote in favor of your confirmation.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »

As others have already asked I'm curious what are your goals for the position as well as for the Wiki. Speaking of the Wiki though it will be a very big task to update it fully which I wish to see happen. Besides yourself will you try and employ other Atlasian's to help update and then keep current, the Wiki?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »

Marokai,

I understand that some pretty horrendous things have been perpetrated against you by a poster under the name "Julius Francis." I must admit, however, I haven't followed the case as closely as I should and am unaware as to whether this poster has been banned or if the matter is currently before the mods.

If the matter has not been satisfactorily resolved, do you intend to prosecute the poster in question and what steps will you take to ensure no conflict of interest arises?

Yes I've known about "Julian Francis" for a little while now, but knew the matter had been reported to the mods so I didn't pursue it further than that. There is some confusion in my mind over who it actually is though. I don't like slinging around names but it could either be Xahar or Conor, I don't know for sure. I know for a fact that Xahar has used the account, but there are some coincidences that lead me to believe Conor could have been involved in the account as well.

As for prosecution, it's pretty clear that someone here committed voter fraud. My only concern is that the act took place in December 2007 (even though he expressed intent to vote much more recently) so I'm not entirely positive on whether that prosecutable or not. But rest assured that I'll be taking a (objective) look at my options and investigate the matter fully and I hope the mods are willing to help me out there.

Having spoken privately with you about your intentions concerning the Wiki, I would ask you to repeat and explain to the Senate your ideas and goals in that matter.

Otherwise...I don't believe I have much more to add. I'll leave any specific legal questions to my fellow senators.

Sure! I've explained this to a few people, yourself included, and planned to introduce some sort of big public initiative to repair the wiki. What I have in mind is a team of people (PiT, Purple State, Myself, and others, to start with) that are on call to repair the wiki whenever needed. (I've just now sent Dave a message requesting a login for the Wiki and I encourage everyone to participate and do so as well.)

Wikis are collaborative efforts, and the problem in my mind is that we let the Wiki become not a collaborative effort, but a project left in the hands of only a few people. Such a huge responsibility would understandably get too large and the Wiki would deteriorate. I want to make a thread if I am confirmed that everyone can comment on. Whoever sees inaccuracies in the wiki can post a link to the missing page/inaccurate information/or just random suggestions, and myself and others can work to correct the problem.

There's more of a problem to the wiki than just missing pages on some passed bills or inaccurate parts of legislation pages. There are little things that need to be updated. Make sure party leadership information is accurate, make sure that personal wiki pages (bios, for lack of a better word) have the correct information on things like what offices that person holds, where that person is from, etc. Alot of this little information is important and unless we can keep it updated we shouldn't have a wiki at all. Bad information is worse than no information.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »

As others have already asked I'm curious what are your goals for the position as well as for the Wiki. Speaking of the Wiki though it will be a very big task to update it fully which I wish to see happen. Besides yourself will you try and employ other Atlasian's to help update and then keep current, the Wiki?

Absolutely, I think it's crucial that every Atlasian participates in at least pointing out and flagging the inaccuracies for the rest of us to correct. We really need to make the wiki a larger project that all of Atlasia can participate in, the Wiki is too big for a handful of people to work on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

You definitely have my support. The Wiki needs updating badly. I try to do what I can, but sometimes I come across a bio page that's about 2.5 years out of date. I don't have enough background knowledge to update it in that case, but if we could set it up so that people who know about the subject can easily be contacted to handle it, that would be nice.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »

You definitely have my support. The Wiki needs updating badly. I try to do what I can, but sometimes I come across a bio page that's about 2.5 years out of date. I don't have enough background knowledge to update it in that case, but if we could set it up so that people who know about the subject can easily be contacted to handle it, that would be nice.

I certainly hope so. Opening the effort to repair the wiki to the public once I am confirmed will hopefully lead to the Wiki ending up in much better shape. Some people have told me the wiki can never be fully repaired but I believe it can. Smiley

Especially with dedicated people such as yourself on the case, Senator.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »

I just want to express my wholehearted support for Marokai and urge the Senate to conduct a thorough but concise confirmation to allow for his agenda to go into effect as soon as possible.

I look forward to aiding Marokai on his Wiki-update initiative.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »

While I intend to vote to confirm you, I just have to ask that, given what our last two attorney generals did, do you plan on running for political office during your term?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »

While I intend to vote to confirm you, I just have to ask that, given what our last two attorney generals did, do you plan on running for political office during your term?

I do not currently have any plans to run for office during my time as AG, no. Anything can happen, but as of now I will dedicate myself solely to the office of Attorney General.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »

I know than I am not a senator and this is has nothing to do here, but how can we become a member of the wiki?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »

I know than I am not a senator and this is has nothing to do here, but how can we become a member of the wiki?

PM Dave & request access.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »

Just to let all Senators know, I will be calling for a vote on this tomorrow 24 hours after the initial thread opening.  After that I will also begin opening threads on various bills.  Just figured I should put that out there so everyone would be aware.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »

Or if you don't want to do that there's a link to a way to email Dave at the bottom of the front page of the Wiki. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:51 AM »

At my confirmation hearing, I was asked whether I would serve to at least the end of my first term....I agreed that I would, and I kept that promise. Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »

I am calling for a vote on the confirmation of Marokai as the Attorney General.  If anyone objects please make it known.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »

I am calling for a vote on the confirmation of Marokai as the Attorney General.  If anyone objects please make it known.
Objects to a vote being called or objects to Marokai as attorney general?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »

To the vote being called, I'm pretty sure.

It doesn't appear that there are any objections.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »

I'll start then:

AYE
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 05:33:11 PM »

Persons who claim superior understanding of Senate rules shouldn't need to ask this question.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2009, 06:57:06 PM by Senator HappyWarrior »

Aye

To calling for the vote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies