Why is Teton County, Wyoming so democrat since John Kerry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why is Teton County, Wyoming so democrat since John Kerry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Teton County, Wyoming so democrat since John Kerry?  (Read 8366 times)
politicaladdict
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »

I was wondering why Teton County, Wyoming is so democrat? Has it become liberal or just old fashion democrat? And can anyone give me a map of Teton County and precincts that voted?

Thanks!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:29:50 PM »

Jackson hole is a ski resort that has become progressively more democrat over the years, a pattern you find all across the west. And it is a liberal place, not blue dog or DLC.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »

a true "latté liberal" area
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2009, 08:24:50 PM by Verily »

No. That term is only correctly applied to certain counties in the Bay Area (Marin and San Mateo mostly) and to the Eastside near Seattle.

It's a skiing/resort/environmental tourism town, Jackson Hole. Very Democratic demographics: young, highly educated, not native to the area, concerned about the environment. Generally speaking, counties containing National Parks vote Democratic if the bulk of the population of the county lives in the park or otherwise works in jobs related to the park.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2009, 08:19:09 PM by Alcon »

I agree with Verily.  It's a small distinction (they both love Starbucks Tongue), but it's an important one.  Areas like Jackson Hole are a mix between latte liberal areas (they do have retirees and telecommuters) and the Bohemian neighborhoods of urban cities, where education levels outpace income substantially.  Except both tend to be higher in these areas than most urban "hipster" neighborhoods.

Think the Mission District meets Marin County, with ski bums.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:17:32 AM »

This part bothers me, but don't forget affluence. Teton County, Wyoming is also one of the richest counties in the country. Teton County has the second highest personal per capita income in the U.S. at $96,570, second only to Manhattan, N.Y. http://www.bea.gov/regional/reis/drill.cfm?table=CA1-3&catable=CA1-3&lc=30&years=2005&rformat=display&areatype=LOCAL&sort=1 So I guess the phrase "Teton County elitist" applies here if you don't seem to prefer the latte liberal label.

In addition to the Jackson Hole ski resort, the county also contains all of Grand Teton National Park and 40.4 percent of Yellowstone National Park's total area, so I guess one could say that tourism helps boost the Democratic tilt of this county? Although I know some of Yellowstone is in Idaho and no county ever goes blue in the Gem State Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »

This part bothers me, but don't forget affluence. Teton County, Wyoming is also one of the richest counties in the country. Teton County has the second highest personal per capita income in the U.S. at $96,570, second only to Manhattan, N.Y. http://www.bea.gov/regional/reis/drill.cfm?table=CA1-3&catable=CA1-3&lc=30&years=2005&rformat=display&areatype=LOCAL&sort=1 So I guess the phrase "Teton County elitist" applies here if you don't seem to prefer the latte liberal label.

In addition to the Jackson Hole ski resort, the county also contains all of Grand Teton National Park and 40.4 percent of Yellowstone National Park's total area, so I guess one could say that tourism helps boost the Democratic tilt of this county? Although I know some of Yellowstone is in Idaho and no county ever goes blue in the Gem State Tongue
*cough* Teton County, Idaho.

Anyways I didn't think any part of Yellowstone was in Idaho. Montana, yes.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »

This is a nitpick of epic proportions, but yes, there is a bit in Idaho.  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.453389,-110.56366&spn=0.917545,2.581787&z=9
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2009, 01:17:36 PM by Verily »

This is a nitpick of epic proportions, but yes, there is a bit in Idaho.  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.453389,-110.56366&spn=0.917545,2.581787&z=9

Significantly, though, all of the towns in the park (places where very Democratic park rangers, hotel workers, etc. live) are in Wyoming (Old Faithful, Mammoth Hot Springs, West Thumb, Tower Junction). Tower Junction and West Thumb might be completely closed by November 4, but I know the hotel at Old Faithful is open year-round, and I would expect the same of the one at Mammoth Hot Springs.

There's also Gardiner and West Yellowstone right outside of the park in Montana, though (Gardiner to the north, West Yellowstone, appropriately, to the west).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies