Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:26:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 16838 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »

Here's an amendment, offered as friendly:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

I'd support that if combined with the elimination of Sections 3, 4 and 5 of the original bill.

I thought that was assumed. Anyway, I could add a Section 3 to suspend all aid to the Palestinian Authority so long as violence is commited against Israelis.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »

Here's an amendment, offered as friendly:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

I'd support that if combined with the elimination of Sections 3, 4 and 5 of the original bill.

I thought that was assumed. Anyway, I could add a Section 3 to suspend all aid to the Palestinian Authority so long as violence is commited against Israelis.

That would be more acceptable since why should we only punish one side in the conflict?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

I accept SPC's amendment as friendly.  I think the action is fair and appropriate and certainly a well thought of compromise.

If this bill passes I would like to offer it up as a toast to this senate being one of compromise of getting things done.  I really appreciate the efforts to compromise on this bill rather than allowing a few senators sharp boos to overshadow what needs to be done.  I always applaud taking action over pointless statements.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »

I accept SPC's amendment as friendly.  I think the action is fair and appropriate and certainly a well thought of compromise.

If this bill passes I would like to offer it up as a toast to this senate being one of compromise of getting things done.  I really appreciate the efforts to compromise on this bill rather than allowing a few senators sharp boos to overshadow what needs to be done.  I always applaud taking action over pointless statements.

I agree that action is necessary, and I believe that requiring a withdrawl of troops is a necessary demand in order to continue funding.

I do, however, believe Smid has a point that it would not be all that motivating if Israel is told that the funding will only continue if the Atlasian Senate will approve of it after they withdraw all their troops.

Therefore, I must humbly suggest that the amendment be changed to:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

There's a fairly noxious part of this that I'm surprised that no one's noticed yet.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »

I oppose the second section of SPC's amendment, though something is better than nothing in this regard.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »

Israel doesn't currently have soldiers in Gaza, as of January 21st: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7841902.stm I have no idea what the Israeli military presence in the West Bank is.

Also, a military withdrawal is pointless without the end of the naval and land blockade of Gaza by Israel.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »

So DWTL are there any alterations you'd like to make to this bill?  I would like to bring it up to a vote ASAP.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 12:29:34 AM »

Franzl has an amendment currently on the floor, I think.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »

Alright I had'nt even noticed Franzl's amendment, how about a vote on it?

AYE
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »

Nay.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 01:30:56 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

Abstain.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »

abstain
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

I'm confused, do you mean SPC's amendment because I can't find one by Franzl, though maybe I'm just not seeing it....
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

I agree that action is necessary, and I believe that requiring a withdrawl of troops is a necessary demand in order to continue funding.

I do, however, believe Smid has a point that it would not be all that motivating if Israel is told that the funding will only continue if the Atlasian Senate will approve of it after they withdraw all their troops.

he highlighted segment.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »

he highlighted segment.

Whoops, missed that. Tongue

I vote Nay. I won't vote for anything that cuts off aid to Israel anyway but until we get an amendment that cuts off aid to Israel and the Palestineans I won't support anything else. Fair is fair.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

Nay, I too support cutting off aide to both sides
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »

Aye, I suppose. I plan to vote against this, but without Franzl's amendment, Israel won't have any incentive to follow through with our blackmail and so the bill won't even do anything.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »

Nay
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »

As SoEA, I thought I'd peek my nose into your business.

The SoEA personally agrees with Senator MasterJedi that it would only be fair to cut off aid to both sides, if that's what the Senate wants.

I also recommend changing the name of this, to look, you know, a bit more objective.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 07:48:08 PM by Sen. DownWithTheLeft »

Amendment to replace the bill with the following text:

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
b.) Israel must also recognize Palestine as independent nation
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »

Israel has already withdrawn from Gaza. There are something like 300,000 or so (don't remember the number, but it's about that, give or take a 100,000) Israelis currently living in the West Bank territory. What happens to them?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »

Israel has already withdrawn from Gaza. There are something like 300,000 or so (don't remember the number, but it's about that, give or take a 100,000) Israelis currently living in the West Bank territory. What happens to them?

Well, since most of that land was stolen from their original occupants, that should be transfered back to their original owners, if possible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:21 AM »

A voice from the gallery: once again, note "nation of Israel". I mean, seriously Senators. You can't seriously be this blind (of course, the dolt can't even spell "aid" so maybe it slightly more innocent than it looks). And someone should also remind you all that there is no one, single Palestinian government these days...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies