Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 16906 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« on: March 19, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »
« edited: April 01, 2009, 01:05:17 PM by Senator HappyWarrior »

Free Palestine Bill

Section 1: Immoral Practices
1. The Republic of Atlasia condemns the practice of some Palestinians to cause harm to innocent Israeli citizens
2. The Republic of Atlasia deplores the nation of Israel for using curfews, walls, and other freedom-restricting measures on the Palestinian people.

Section 2: Recognition of Palestine and Israel
3. The Republic of Atlasia hereby recognizes the nation of Palestine as being made up by Gaza Strip and West Bank upon the above terms being met by top Palestinian officials.
4. The Republic of Atlasia hereby calls upon the United Nations, and more specifically Israel, to recognize Palestine after the said conditions are met.

Section 3: Ceasefire
1. The two independent nations shall agree to a ceasefire lasting no fewer than two (2) years

Section 4: Failure to Comply
1. If the said conditions are met and Israel still does not recognize Palestine, the Republic of Atlasia will hereby withhold 70% of military aid to Israel and 5% more aid will be witheld for every month Israel does not recognize Palestine.
2. If the Palestinians fail to end government sanctioned violence against the Israeli people, they shall not receive any financial aide.

Section 5: Neutrality
1. Atlasia agrees to remain neutral in conflict between Israel and Iran if Palestinians meet their terms of the agreement.

Sponser: DWTL
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

Funny actually, as I suspected any bill titled "Free Palestine" to be blatantly unfair and impossible to support, but after having read it, I must say that I agree with most of it.

I'm kind of worried about mandating a ceasefire for only 2 years, as in Section 3.

I'm completely opposed to Section 5. That doesn't mean I oppose neutrality in principle, but that would depend greatly on the circumstances that lead to any conflict between Israel and Iran. There are cases in which I would support involvement...and some in which I would support neutrality.

If we address these issues, DWTL, I feel confident we can work together to pass this legislation.

I agree wholeheartedly with Franzl.  If these problems are worked out I can freely see myself supporting this measure.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »

Here's an amendment, offered as friendly:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

I would accept this amendment with MasterJedi's provision included.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »

So DWTL are there any alterations you'd like to make to this bill?  I would like to bring it up to a vote ASAP.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »

Alright I had'nt even noticed Franzl's amendment, how about a vote on it?

AYE
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

I accept SPC's amendment as friendly.  I think the action is fair and appropriate and certainly a well thought of compromise.

If this bill passes I would like to offer it up as a toast to this senate being one of compromise of getting things done.  I really appreciate the efforts to compromise on this bill rather than allowing a few senators sharp boos to overshadow what needs to be done.  I always applaud taking action over pointless statements.

I agree that action is necessary, and I believe that requiring a withdrawl of troops is a necessary demand in order to continue funding.

I do, however, believe Smid has a point that it would not be all that motivating if Israel is told that the funding will only continue if the Atlasian Senate will approve of it after they withdraw all their troops.

Therefore, I must humbly suggest that the amendment be changed to:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

he highlighted segment.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

Amendment to replace the bill with the following text:

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
b.) Israel must also recognize Palestine as independent nation
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements

This bill is acceptable to me.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

I am calling a motion for cloture on:

Amendment to replace the bill with the following text:

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
b.) Israel must also recognize Palestine as independent nation
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements

AYE
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »

I agree with the points made by Franzl, they are after all quite valid points based on the problems this bill is encountering.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »

I very much like where this bill's debate is going.  That being towards a compromise I will probably be voting for.  Sorry I am not as involved as I wish I could be.  School, work, and my new gf are consuming my life at the moment.  I am however doing my best to keep everything moving at a steady pace.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

This is called to a vote:

Section 1:
All non-humanitarian aid to Israel and Palestine is suspended.

Section 2:
1. Aid to Israel will be reinstated if both of the following conditions are fulfilled:
 a.) Israel recognizes Palestine as an independent state.
 b.) Israel refrains from maintaining any military presence in Gaza. A limited military presence to protect and
      ensure the safety of Israelis residing in the West Bank will be tolerated. The government of Atlasia
      is given permission to determine exactly what is to be tolerated.
 c.) Israel will end the blockade on Gaza in order to continue receiving aid.
      Atlasia does, however, recognize that Israel should be able to defend itself in the event of
      Palestinian aggression, therefore:

Should Atlasia determine that the Palestinan government is responsible for supporting attacks
        against Israel or its citizens as described in Section 3, Israel may reinstate a military blockade
        with Atlasian approval for a limited amount of time until it is deemed by Atlasia to no longer be
        necessary for the safety of Israel and its citizens, without loss of aid or other negative
        consequences.

2. Any unprovoked military attacks against Palestine will lead immediately to an indefinite suspension of all aid.

3. Failure to meet the following conditions within six months of the passage of this bill will result in full suspension of all aid to Israel.

Section 3:
1. Aid to Palestine will be reinstated if both of following conditions are fulfilled:
 a.) Palestine recognizes Israel's right to exist.
 b.) The government of Palestine refrains from encouraging, supporting, or tolerating any attacks
      against Israel or Israeli citizens.

2. Atlasia recognizes that the government of Palestine cannot control every potential attack and will not impose any sanctions if it is determined that it could not prevent any specific attack from happening. The government of Atlasia is given permission to interpret specific situations.

3. All aid will be suspended indefinitely if it is determined that the government of Palestine is actively supporting attacks against Israel of its citizens.

4. Failure to meet the following conditions within six months of the passage of this bill will result in full suspension of all aid to Palestine.

Section 4:
If Palestine meets said conditions, their aid will be increased 5% each year beginning January 1st following the year they met said conditions.

Section 5:
1. The Israeli government and the Palestinian National Authority will agree upon a definition of the "Palestinian government" for purposes of complying with this act. This definition will be used in determining eligibility for aid based on the requirements and restrictions outlined in previous sections. Should no mutual agreement exist 4 months after the passing of this bill, the Atlasian Senate reserves the right to define what constitutes the "Palestinian government" and borders between Israel and Palestine.

2. If at any time the Atlasian Senate is convinced that one party is intentionally impeding progress for reasons other than outstanding legitimate concerns, the Atlasian Senate may, at any during these 4 months, with a two-thirds majority in the Senate, reinstate aid for the innocent party, and block any aid for the guilty party until it is prepared to resume sensible negotiations.

AYE
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »

Middle East Peace Act of 2009

You must be logged in to read this quote.

THIS IS THE BILL

Thanks.  Sorry bout that.  Got a bit turned around lol.  Its late here.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »

At this moment the Act is passing 7-0 with 3 senators having not voted.  I think this truly shows this Senate's willingness to compromise.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

Sorry everyone I was mistaken on a certain rule and cloture is achieved:

On the final vote:

AYE
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »

We are stll awaiting one last vote, that being SPC before it passes in the legal sense.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »

We are stll awaiting one last vote, that being SPC before it passes in the legal sense.

How come we need him to vote first?

We need to wait twenty four hours after the final Senator casts their vote or a specific number of days if my memory serves.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »

How come we need him to vote first?

We need to wait twenty four hours after the final Senator casts their vote or a specific number of days if my memory serves.

For passage? I thought it was just 24 hours after enough votes ot pass or fail were attained.

You may be correct PiT.  I will check the relevant statute in the morning.  Either way I am sure it will pass.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:57 AM »

Ah, sorry PiT.  Well then this act is declared duly passed and is now awaiting a presidential signature or veto.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies