Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:05:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 16890 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: March 19, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »
« edited: March 19, 2009, 11:45:57 AM by Senator Realisticidealist »

I actually approve of Section 5. I think we must maintain as much neutrality as possible. Atlasia does not need to be involved in foreign wars between arbitrary outside nations that cripple our budget and threaten our safety. I would strongly disapprove of any changes to Section 5, except for very specific terms that require Atlasia to remain militarily neutral, though such involvement through the UN could be acceptable.

I am a bit uneasy with Section 4, though, as I don't think we should be giving Israel aid in the first place on principle.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »

I'm strongly opposed to passing bills unilaterally ordering other countries to do this and that or else we'll stop financially supporting them. If we care about peace, then we should work with the Palestinians and the Israelis, not dictate terms to them.

And section 5 is horrible.

Doesn't it seem, though, that by financially supporting foriegn countries, that we're entitled to have reasonable demands as to the circumstances under which we'll continue this funding?

We shouldn't be funding them in the first place.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »

This bill is not going to build lasting peace; you don't build lasting peace through threats and blackmail. What it will build is resentment, both at Atlasia and further between the two countries.

I agree with this. The international community created this problem, and they should be the ones to deal with it. The principle is good; I believe Palestine should have its own state, but we are not the ones to do it.

Additionally, I honestly don't think it would even work if we passed it. It does not contain an actual, plausible incentive that hasn't been tried before. Passing an unenforcable sentiment is an exercise of futility.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2009, 01:30:56 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

Abstain.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »

Amendment to replace the bill with the following text:

Section 1
a.) All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip
b.) Israel must also recognize Palestine as independent nation
c.) If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued

Section 2
a.) All aide shall be suspended to the Palestinian state until all attacks are stopped against Israelis and the Palestinian government recognizes Israel's right to exist
b.) Aide shall be restored if the Palestinian government meets said requirements

This bill is acceptable to me.

While I have my doubts as to whether this would actually work, I am willing to support it. It would be better than nothing.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »

Aye. I've had enough of this bill.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »

A voice from the gallery: once again, note "nation of Israel". I mean, seriously Senators. You can't seriously be this blind (of course, the dolt can't even spell "aid" so maybe it slightly more innocent than it looks). And someone should also remind you all that there is no one, single Palestinian government these days...
Perhaps one needs to look no further than this statement to see why this bill is working.  The problem was never me, it was always you.  Now, we have a group of senators who are willing to work out a compromise.

Well done everyone

Haha.

The reason why I kept blocking this obsessive idiocy of yours is because you are an anti-semite using this fantasyland bill to get a nasty little thrill. And I don't approve of that.

Another reason, of course, was that your bill was always badly written and based on a combination of delusions and out-of-date information.

And this bill, as it stands now, remains badly written (you can't even spell "aid" correctly, you idiot). And it remains based on delusions and out-of-date information. It's pure student-hack politics.

And this is before we reach the issue of using aid as a weapon.

could you explain what the problem is with "nation of Israel"?  Haven't quite understood what you meant.

I hope it is not semantics between state and nation. Roll Eyes
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 04:31:07 PM »

I urge all Senators to vote against this Bill. 

This only makes me want to vote for it. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

Can we actually vote soon?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »

In recognition of the work put into this bill, I shall cast my vote as aye.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies