Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:12:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Middle East Peace Act of 2009 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 16908 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:26 AM »

We should continue to support Israel as we have in the past and keep only giving medical and food supplies to the Palestineans and nothing else.

In the end I won't support this bill because it won't work. Either way it screws up the whole situation because the Palestineans will never comply as always which will lead Israel to defend itself and nothing to happen of the process which is actually what I think DWTL wants, no money to either side and to just get out of the conflict which I can't support.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »

We should continue to support Israel as we have in the past and keep only giving medical and food supplies to the Palestineans and nothing else.

In the end I won't support this bill because it won't work. Either way it screws up the whole situation because the Palestineans will never comply as always which will lead Israel to defend itself and nothing to happen of the process which is actually what I think DWTL wants, no money to either side and to just get out of the conflict which I can't support.

That might be DWTL's intention..but why should we be funding a country that doesn't want peace? I think setting these requirements provides Israel with a reason to cooperate, "or else".

I don't oppose Israel on principle, but they need to do their part, and we shouldn't support them blindly because they're Israel.

Kinda hard to support peace when the other side keeps breaking every cease fire that has been made.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »

I won't support SPC's amendment at all. But either way lets make it fair and suspend all aid to the Palestineans as well as Israel as long as there are any attacks.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »

Here's an amendment, offered as friendly:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

I'd support that if combined with the elimination of Sections 3, 4 and 5 of the original bill.

I thought that was assumed. Anyway, I could add a Section 3 to suspend all aid to the Palestinian Authority so long as violence is commited against Israelis.

That would be more acceptable since why should we only punish one side in the conflict?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

I'm confused, do you mean SPC's amendment because I can't find one by Franzl, though maybe I'm just not seeing it....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »

I accept SPC's amendment as friendly.  I think the action is fair and appropriate and certainly a well thought of compromise.

If this bill passes I would like to offer it up as a toast to this senate being one of compromise of getting things done.  I really appreciate the efforts to compromise on this bill rather than allowing a few senators sharp boos to overshadow what needs to be done.  I always applaud taking action over pointless statements.

I agree that action is necessary, and I believe that requiring a withdrawl of troops is a necessary demand in order to continue funding.

I do, however, believe Smid has a point that it would not be all that motivating if Israel is told that the funding will only continue if the Atlasian Senate will approve of it after they withdraw all their troops.

Therefore, I must humbly suggest that the amendment be changed to:

Section 1 All aid to the nation of Israel shall be suspended until the withdrawal of all Israeli military from West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Section 2 If the nation of Israel withdraws from West bank and Gaza Strip, aid to the nation shall be recontinued if a majority of the Atlasian Senate approves.

he highlighted segment.

Whoops, missed that. Tongue

I vote Nay. I won't vote for anything that cuts off aid to Israel anyway but until we get an amendment that cuts off aid to Israel and the Palestineans I won't support anything else. Fair is fair.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »

The Israeli military isn't going to pull out of the West Bank and leave those settlements to defend themselves.

Well, if they don't, they're not going to receive any money for Atlasian taxpayers.

Well there's still the chance that this will fail or that bgwah will veto if it does pass. And then there's the fact that this crap won't happen irl which is great.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:11 AM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

Well if it is for cloture my vote is changed to Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies