Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:51:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 67766 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »

I'm not optimistic at the odds of gay marriage overcoming a "citizen's veto". Maine only upheld an anti-discrimination statute in 2005 by a 45-55 vote.

I share your concern, but I am buoyed by the knowledge that Equality Maine should know exactly what's ahead of them and has a strategy for fighting the veto. If the pro-marriage side in California had been organized and savvy, we would have defeated Prop 8. We have experience from Massachusetts about runnning media campaigns to forestall an amendment. I have to hope that people involved have gained knowledge about what works and what doesn't and Maine is a small enough market that we'll be able to try them all.

So we may well lose, but it will be a fair fight.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »

And in my opinion one of the reasons the No on 8 campaign lost was that it was horribly mismanaged.  They didn't figure out until towards the end that they should be zeroing in on more than just old white people.  Even then, it was bad.  There was one ad narrated by Samuel Jackson, for example, but I didn't even realize it was him until like the fourth time I heard the ad -- if they had shown him actually talking it would have been fare more powerful.

Maine is a lot less demographically complex, I don't think the pro-marriage people will need mixed messaging
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #277 on: May 01, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »

As long as they keep the hollywood celebs more or less out of the campaign, po would win a referendum.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: May 01, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »

And in my opinion one of the reasons the No on 8 campaign lost was that it was horribly mismanaged.  They didn't figure out until towards the end that they should be zeroing in on more than just old white people.  Even then, it was bad.  There was one ad narrated by Samuel Jackson, for example, but I didn't even realize it was him until like the fourth time I heard the ad -- if they had shown him actually talking it would have been fare more powerful.

Maine is a lot less demographically complex, I don't think the pro-marriage people will need mixed messaging

Yeah and the Yes on 8 people ran an excellent campaign. I could never figure out why they were advertising so heavily on progressive radio but considering about a 1/3rd of democrats voted yes, they knew what they were doing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #279 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2009, 05:01:31 PM by Lunar »

I could comment further on No On 8, but I probably shouldn't.  It makes me sad thinking how basic concepts of messaging were managed.  Basically, they were overly concerned with being politically correct (basically too much emphasis on representing the entire rainbow of the community instead of the most accessible parts).

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2009/05/gay-marriage-gets-another-asse.html

Interesting url lol.... anyway, Fred Thiele is the fifth Republican in the chamber to support gay marriage!

What what
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 02:42:43 PM by Holmes »

89 - 57 Smiley

Holy crap guys, there was one Representative who said she knew that her daughter was gay for 15 years, but she was voting no on this because she disapproves of her daughter and disowned her. Or something. sh**tty parent.

It goes back to the Senate one more time for a vote tomorrow. Same time as New Hampshire. I wonder who'll pass it first!? Smiley I wanna stay home and follow this tomorrow...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

These states are going about it the right way, instead of imposing it through judicial fiat.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

These states are going about it the right way, instead of imposing it through judicial fiat.

Agreed, hopefully many more state do the same.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »

If only we did interracial marriage that way, amirite?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »

You know, as I read more about the people's veto, and the equality's sides efforts, I'm becoming less and less worried. Right now I'm only worried about a possibly lower turnout, but we can't even say for sure that'll be the case.

I mean, MaineEquality has been working on this referendum for the past 3 years, and went into overdrive at the beginning of the year. Not to mention we have MaineEquality, GLAAD, the HRC, the NAACP and others working on our side. I mean, MaineEquality got 3000 people to dress up in red and bussed them to Augusta for the hearing, and got tens of thousands of people to send letters to Governor Baldacci. Smiley

The Equality side has to always stay positive(which iy always has), it needs to get out the vote(and I'm not worried about that from what I've seen), and it has a lot of cards to play, so it needs to play them perfectly. I mean New England is a small region, they can easily bus a lot of volunteers from other states, and should fight for more important endorsements and make sure everyone knows about them. Smiley
Jacobtm

« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »

If only we did interracial marriage that way, amirite?

I am 100% for extending the legal definition of "marriage" to include any 2 consenting adults, regardless of sex/gender/orientation/etc.

However, the fact is that if a state supreme court decides that based on their state constitution gay marriage can't be denied, voters can still simply change the constitution, as they have done in so many states in this country in the last few years.

So if we're looking for the institutionalization of gay marriage, imposing it on a hostile population only makes it more likely that gay marraige will be postponed for a longer time due to heat-of-the-moment constitutional referendums.

While it seems heartless to say that gays in state X shouldn't be allowed to marry because a majority of people there don't like them, the fact is that young people are much more in favor of gay marriage, so we just have to wait for older people to die before gay marriage will be politically acceptable in much broader swathes of the country. Trying to institute it too early could actually delay the process of institutionalizing gay marriage.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »

Map of gay marriage licenses issued by county in Iowa.

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/samesexmarriage/iowa-gay-marriage-map.php

Sorry guys, no same-sex couples getting their license in Sioux County!

Thanks for finding this. I know one of the Pottawatomie County IA ones was a same-sex female couple from Lincoln that made the front page of our newspaper the next day. From today's paper talking about stories that were commented on most in the last week, this was tops.

Victoria Ayotte writes: "Gay marriage is always a hot topic here in Nebraska. The story “Lincoln couple among many receiving marriage licenses in Iowa” garnered 164 published comments. The Journal Star finally had to stop approving comments because the story page had trouble loading. The positive gay marriage comments  outnumbered the negative ones more than 2-to-1.

“I’m happy for all these couples. Hopefully Nebraskans will see that this move by our more-enlightened neighbors to the East is a good one. Equality for all,” finally wrote.

Galen said: “Another shining example of how low we, as a society, have sunk.”

And R. SCOTT commented: “I think gay couples should be allowed to (be) as miserable as everyone else. Let them get married.”

I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by how many people on the other side of the Missouri have been supportive of this. Kind of shows that a) people are definitely becoming more open minded on this issue and b) we aren't all a bunch of intolerant hicks here in the Midwest.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »

However, the fact is that if a state supreme court decides that based on their state constitution gay marriage can't be denied, voters can still simply change the constitution, as they have done in so many states in this country in the last few years.

So if we're looking for the institutionalization of gay marriage, imposing it on a hostile population only makes it more likely that gay marraige will be postponed for a longer time due to heat-of-the-moment constitutional referendums.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree on your assessment of the tactics. Without Massachusetts's SJC having forced same-sex marriage in 2004, I feel confident that no state would have passed it legislatively. The court moved the ball forward. Similarly, without Vermont's Supreme Court having found for civil unions in 1999, Massachusetts wouldn't have gone whole hog for same sex marriage, nor would Vermont have become the first state to legislatively pass marriage ten years later.

Most states that amended their constitutions did so with legislative approval and 50%+1 of voters. Admittedly, in a lot of states the yes votes were way beyond 50%, but the point is that the threshold for amending the constitution in those states was very low. On such a contentious issue, the anti- side was always going to fight back. In most places, these amendments merely set the status quo in the constitution. The important part is, the threshold required to introduce gay marriage is the same as that required to overturn these past amendments. So we haven't lost anything at all by having the present mass opposition to gay marriage codified in the constitutions. Was South Carolina, Michigan, or Ohio going to pass same-sex marriage but only for these amendments?

There are exceptions. Amendments passed in states like Ohio and Michigan have led to the cancellation of DP benefits for government employees; that is a real loss for the duration of that policy. However, that is not an effect of DOMA that has majority support, and it's something we can fight back on. People can understand how it isn't just a symbolic issue, but has real effects for people.

Court rulings moved the ball way forward. It was then moved back, but not all the way back. We lose some battles but I have no doubt we will win the war, and the rulings in Vermont and Massachusetts were the equivalent of Anzio and Normandy.

In the meantime, the courts have provided a fair and educational hearing on the issues and the rulings have provided a road map to arguments in favor of same-sex marriage. The evidence has been heard and weighed. Discussions in state legislatures are rarely as enlightening and thoughtful.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »

EqualityMaine has a statement on the passage of the law.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Task Force Action lists some of what EqualityMaine has done. (I actually never heard of this Task Force before...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, they've definitely been working on this for a long time and have their sh**t in order. Smiley Really, if they can get those 50,000 people to talk to 26 people each, they've basically covered the whole state's population. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2009, 11:26:16 AM by Verily »

The Maine Senate passed the gay marriage bill again, sending it to the governor. (Maine has a weird system where bills have to be doubly approved.) Baldacci will speak in a few minutes.

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/newsupdate.php?updates/update-baldacci-to-speak-on-gay-marriage-bill
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »

Gay marriage now legal in Maine.

http://www.wmtw.com/family/19382995/detail.html?ref=fpbrk
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

Well done, Maine Smiley
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

So Maine is the fifth state to allow gay marriages
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »

Indeed, congratulations Maine!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »

I would not have bet a dime that this was going to be passed this year on its first try.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »

So Maine is the fifth state to allow gay marriages

More importantly, it is the second state to do so legislatively, and the first non-crazyvermont one

It's a state that McCain and Obama ran ads in!  Holy crap!
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »

so does this go into effect immediately? or is there like a six month wait.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2009, 12:57:43 PM »

new england is the best england

Any updates on what John Lynch is thinking? Or why Rhode Island hasn't gotten with the program yet?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »

Or why Rhode Island hasn't gotten with the program yet?

The fact that it's the most Catholic state in the Union might have something to do with it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »

Or why Rhode Island hasn't gotten with the program yet?

The fact that it's the most Catholic state in the Union might have something to do with it.

Still, it was the most Democratic state in 2004, wasn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies