Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 67598 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »

Oh man. Marion Barry and Chaffetz are the only ones fighting to stop DC. And they think they'll win, especially cause Obama "supports them" or something. Delicious.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

Oh man. Marion Barry and Chaffetz are the only ones fighting to stop DC. And they think they'll win, especially cause Obama "supports them" or something. Delicious.

you might be interested in this thread:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=91362.0

Obama's position is so hilariously wishy-washy.  "I oppose gay marriage, but I oppose efforts to  oppose it"  -- I have to wonder if 50% of the public's acceptance of his position isn't based off of race -- he has to oppose gay marriage because he's a religious black guy!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2009, 08:34:13 AM by Holmes »

Mmyeah, he was either lying 13 years ago when he (probably) had no ambitions and was just a local politician, or lied a year ago when he had national ambitions. I'll go with the latter. Smiley

Not that it matters right now. I doubt he'll budge on the issue, he can only do small things at the moment like a justice pick. But justifying themselves with Obama is adorable.

ALSO I'm really excited for NH's vote on the protections. It should all be done in a week. I wanna see how Republicans will vote, cause the state Democratic party leader said "Do Republican leaders really want to be on record opposing protections for churches and clergy?" They probably will.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

I think this should be the logo every time another state legalizes it btw.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

Is RI next? That would pretty much wrap up liberal New England.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »

Is RI next? That would pretty much wrap up liberal New England.

Rhode Island is like the rusty belt buckle of New England. Even though it's really establishment Democratic, it's heavily Catholic and working-class. It would probably go through, the problem is getting it introduced and the process started.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »

And we'd need to get Donald Carcieri replaced by Chafee or Generic Democrat in 2011 first too, right?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »

you might be interested in this thread:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=91362.0

Obama's position is so hilariously wishy-washy.  "I oppose gay marriage, but I oppose efforts to  oppose it"  -- I have to wonder if 50% of the public's acceptance of his position isn't based off of race -- he has to oppose gay marriage because he's a religious black guy!

Basically. He opposed Prop 8 in California (so did McCain though, and Arnold despite vetoing gay marriage). Admittedly the position really makes no sense, even if it was something like "I personally oppose gay marriage but could accept it if the public votes for it", that's still not a reason to oppose Prop 8 itself.

But I know he doesn't actually oppose gay marriage so I don't care.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »

And we'd need to get Donald Carcieri replaced by Chafee or Generic Democrat in 2011 first too, right?
Not even. The votes are there. It's the Senate and House leadership that won't bring it up to a vote. They'd fit in more in a place like Arkansas or Kentucky than Rhode Island, really.

The House Majority Leader(Gordon Fox) is really the only leadership in the legislature that supports it, and he's too afraid to act. But apparently the current Speaker of the House is gonna retire or something in 2010, and Fox seems to be in line for the next Speaker. That plus new governor is why people are saying 2010 will determine a lot of things for Rhode Island.

Personally, I know they could do it right now, just bring it to a vote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

http://www.politickerny.com/3577/african-american-senators-thorny-dilemma-same-sex-marriage

*shakes fist at minorities*
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »

Any black person who opposes marriage rights for gays should have their rights taken away for awhile.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »

Is that link about the rally where they bussed a lot of out-of-state haters into NYC and Dan Choi made out with his boyfriend?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »

Any black person who opposes marriage rights for gays should have their rights taken away for awhile.

I think many would respond that they put up with discrimination on a regular basis, even with all the progress that has been made in laws in the last forty-plus years. And there's the whole religious angle which I don't know how to address.

We both know many people don't see same-sex marriage as a civil right. Most Democratic state senators are willing to engage with same-sex marriage advocates and listen to us, which is more than Republican legislators representing conservative, predominantly white districts do. It would be nice if the Democratic coalition were singing with one voice on this issue but until we get there we have to find ways to engage. I feel like the reaction to the exit poll from California last year (which was later revised down) did a lot of damage without helping.

In Massachusetts, our sole African-American state senator was a fantastic advocate for marriage equality. Again, against the interests and views of many in her district. She had plenty of ethical problems and is no longer in office, but at the time... damn. Wow. Ditto for other representatives, Benjamin Swan and Byron Rushing, the first of which didn't really have many gay constituents.

New York has a very large West Indian community, and some parts of the Caribbean are as intolerant as you can get in the world on homosexuality. I wouldn't go to Jamaica any more than I would go to Saudi Arabia. So, expecting representatives of recent immigrant communities to be at the forefront of marriage equality is a lot. 
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »

I think that's the problem. People see opposition and they freak. I mean I'm not happy with it either but that's not the point. But I remember when the exit polls had black support at 70%(which is pretty hillarious) and people jumped on that. African-Americans are still seen as enemies and it's ridiculous, there are a lot of black allies. Then there was Miss California and people jumped on that, and she became a conservative darling and a victim. People just need to chill and stuff will happen. I mean California passed prop 8 and it was supposed to devastate the movement but here was are half a year later with like 5 more states that allow it and at least one more will by the end of the year, plus DC very likely soon as well.

Key Maryland senator to co-sponsor legislation legalizing same sex marriage next year Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »

On D.C.

http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/05/gay_marriage_and_dc.php
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #390 on: May 19, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2009, 10:15:01 PM by Verily »

If a referendum does go forward in Maine (and it probably will), this is the wording the opponents of gay marriage are stuck with:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/The_question_in_Maine.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »

That's a kind of confusingly phrased question...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »

Welcome to the world of ballot initiatives Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »

Ah hell, we're shafted into being on the "no" side again. It's so hard being the positive side when everyone will be shouting "NO NO NO"
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #394 on: May 20, 2009, 08:32:01 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2009, 08:33:34 AM by Holmes »

Ahh damn... well ok, I'm ready.

And they're setting up baricades. Sounds encouraging.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »

Referendum 71 back home is even more confusingly worded.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yay for approving laws the legislature passed and the governor signed. Roll Eyes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »

Ah hell, we're shafted into being on the "no" side again. It's so hard being the positive side when everyone will be shouting "NO NO NO"

Indeed, that alone could be worth a couple percentage points against equality.  The No On 8 campaign struggled with that, especially because they started off as a "Vote FOR Marriage Equality" slogan with their slogan/facebook/printed materials etc.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: May 20, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »

Oh man, 188-186 for HB73 in the House. Apparently it's going to a Committee of Conference.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #398 on: May 20, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »

What would have happened if it was a tie?

One New Hampshire gay Republican switched his vote from yea to nay since he opposed the compromise version of the bill!  Eek
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »

The amended bill failed 186-188.

http://www.bluehampshire.com/diary/7364/house-does-not-concur-on-hb73

Sad
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length