Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 67296 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 30, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »

...Ignoring that as i stated libreal policies have already had a devastating effect on hetero marriages in the last 50 years.

You haven't offered one shred of evidence to that in your argument.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #476 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »

Yeah I'm using it right to describe 90% of the forum.  

Paper Tiger - meaning something that seems as threatening as a tiger, but is really harmless -wiki

The term is often used in sports to describe those with great stats, but don't deliver when it counts.

Yeah, but if you just said that you hope the world ends before those "harmless" people take power--sigh, nevermind.

This topic of gay marriage is a prime example of you not grasping reality and only using imtinamdating "intellectual" essays and lofty words to make the case for homosexual marriages.  Ignoring that as i stated libreal policies have already had a devastating effect on hetero marriages in the last 50 years

Evidence.

You're complaining that we're elitist, and then demanding that we accept your claims without questioning or analyzing them?  That's super-elitist.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #477 on: May 30, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »

Yeah I'm using it right to describe 90% of the forum.  

Paper Tiger - meaning something that seems as threatening as a tiger, but is really harmless -wiki

The term is often used in sports to describe those with great stats, but don't deliver when it counts.

Yeah, but if you just said that you hope the world ends before those "harmless" people take power--sigh, nevermind.

This topic of gay marriage is a prime example of you not grasping reality and only using imtinamdating "intellectual" essays and lofty words to make the case for homosexual marriages.  Ignoring that as i stated libreal policies have already had a devastating effect on hetero marriages in the last 50 years

Evidence.

You're complaining that we're elitist, and then demanding that we accept your claims without questioning or analyzing them?  That's super-elitist.

1. LOL Harmless is another way of saying "soft"     When you call someone a "paper tiger" its not a complement.

2.  Ive already answered this with fezzy and gave my reason for not posting.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

Ive already answered this with fezzy and gave my reason for not posting.

I checked back several pages and see no response to Fezzy.  Could you repost your evidence, even if it's just by quoting it?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »

So, to all the gay people and left wing people in America, the UK is the place to live!

Unless you believe in freedom of speech of course.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:08 AM »

So, to all the gay people and left wing people in America, the UK is the place to live!

Or handgun ownership.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2009, 04:09:49 AM »

So, where's your evidence that there's no Freedom of Speech in the UK then?  Hmm?  I can assure that there's plenty.  Tongue  Wink

Furthermore, what's that even got to do with Gay Marriage/Civil Unions?   Tongue

---

If there's one thing I've never understood is the mentality of various social conservatives and their hostility to the extension of rights to other demographics.  Also, I still fail to see how being raised by two men/women is any worse than being raised by a heterosexual couple- just so long as it's a loving relationship and the parents in question are responsible, I see no problem.  Being raised by a loving homosexual couple is a damned sight better than being raised by an abusive heterosexual couple, that's for sure.  I also fail to see how allowing gay marriages and adoptions will cause the downfall of civilised society.  Anyone care to give any sensible and plausible suggestions?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2009, 04:30:21 AM by Senator PiT »

So, where's your evidence that there's no Freedom of Speech in the UK then?  Hmm?  I can assure that there's plenty.  Tongue  Wink

He's referring to the strict slander & libel laws in the UK.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2009, 04:41:24 AM »

They can be, as you say, somewhat strict (in a sense- the onus of proof is always on the defendant here), but I doubt that's grounds for a complete absence of Free Speech though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #484 on: June 01, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »

They can be, as you say, somewhat strict (in a sense- the onus of proof is always on the defendant here), but I doubt that's grounds for a complete absence of Free Speech though.

Of course not...but you must realize who made that claim Smiley
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #485 on: June 01, 2009, 05:19:56 AM »

Of course not...but you must realize who made that claim Smiley

1. I'm new here.  Wink
2. I live in vain hope.  Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »

I guess no one was paying attention, but Nevada enacted "domestic partnerships" today. Wikipedia interprets them as civil unions granting similar rights to marriage (rather than limited rights as in Colorado and Maryland), although I'm not up on whether that's actually the case. The legislature overrode Jim Gibbons's veto.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »

Looking through the bios for the Nevada state legislators is entertaining, especially now that I know state Senators' hobbies include "Dutch oven cooking" and "Santa Claus collecting".
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #488 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »

Phew... geeez, I was on edge the whole time. Smiley I hope Lynch signs it soon!

Also lol, Santa Claus collecting... as in, figurines?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #489 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »

Isn't the support for civil unions OR gay marriage something like two thirds of the electorate (with one third saying neither)?  Seems like all civilized purple and blue states should have had civil unions by now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

Hawaii and Illinois should have them by now but sh**t happened. Like, it "died" in the Senate committee in Hawaii by a 3-3 vote, but they revived it near the end of the session and passed it by a 19-5 vote, but the House had to re-vote and couldn't cause the session was over. It sucks they had to have a really conservative Democrat in the Judiciary committee.

Same in Illinois, it could've passed easily, but the conservative members were blocking it from coming to a vote, and their session ended 2 days ago.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #491 on: June 03, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »

Eh, Hawaii might as well just do it once Lingle is out anyhoo. 

Will we need to wait for Chafee to get in Hawaii in order to kick some butts or will the legislature be able to get their heads screwed on straight.

What about New Mexico?  They're another gray splot on the map.

I think civil unions should be the priority of the equality movement.  Get the substantive rights - hospital visits, tax unity, inheritance, adoption, etc. first I say.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: June 03, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »

Does Abercrombie support it? I don't know him too much, I should just wiki him.

New Mexico will probably be getting domestic partnerships a la Nevada later this year, Richardson is calling for a special session just for it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #493 on: June 03, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »

That makes Richardson suck slightly less!  Neat.

Seems like MN and DE should be on the chopping block for civil unions...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #494 on: June 03, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »

DFL taking the Governorship will almost certainly mean we get civil unions.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »

I think it depends on what Democrat wins... I know some front runners right now support marriage, if one of them wins, I could just see them passing a marriage bill instead, really. They had a similar bill this session but didn't even bother voting cuz that darn TPaw. Tongue

And Delaware's not passing anything until their Senate President, Thurman Adams, dies. He decides what bills actually come to a vote and he's an 80 year old rural Dem. Hm.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #496 on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

I like what Bill O said about this in that its going to happen the liberals states will pass it, and the conservative states wont. End result you turn more people against gay rights then before.

Great a Country divided.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #497 on: June 03, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

and purple states pass civil unions

and then people who oppose gay marriage steadily die off

and then the gays win

I hope I didn't ruin the ending Sad
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #498 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »

I guess New Hampshire isn't a conservative state anymore, and Republicans can stop fantasizing about it? Tongue
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »

I like what Bill O said about this in that its going to happen the liberals states will pass it, and the conservative states wont. End result you turn more people against gay rights then before.

Great a Country divided.

How does that formulation work?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies