Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 67594 times)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »

Isn't the support for civil unions OR gay marriage something like two thirds of the electorate (with one third saying neither)?  Seems like all civilized purple and blue states should have had civil unions by now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

Hmm, we need to see more purple & indigo and less orange, red & yellow on that map if you ask me.  Hopefully the Maine electorate will see sense on this matter, the New Hampshire government actually gets a move on and the Rhode Island government actually gets started.  I'd quite like to see all states in New England legalise gay marriage, and New York for that matter.

Furthermore, one thing that does surprise me is that both West Virginia and North Carolina on that map aren't orange...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #501 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »

Isn't the support for civil unions OR gay marriage something like two thirds of the electorate (with one third saying neither)?  Seems like all civilized purple and blue states should have had civil unions by now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

Hmm, we need to see more purple & indigo and less orange, red & yellow on that map if you ask me.  Hopefully the Maine electorate will see sense on this matter, the New Hampshire government actually gets a move on and the Rhode Island government actually gets started.  I'd quite like to see all states in New England legalise gay marriage, and New York for that matter.

Furthermore, one thing that does surprise me is that both West Virginia and North Carolina on that map aren't orange...

They both have heavily Democratic legislatures that block the use of constitutional amendments (at least on this subject) as wedges.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #502 on: June 03, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »

I like what Bill O said about this in that its going to happen the liberals states will pass it, and the conservative states wont. End result you turn more people against gay rights then before.

Great a Country divided.

Are you jealous because you and Coburn in 2012 can't consumate your relationship?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #503 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »

So, ok, per map at Wikipedia... is it really true that only a statue in WA prevents gay marriage... whats the hold up here Dems?
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #504 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »

I like what Bill O said about this in that its going to happen the liberals states will pass it, and the conservative states wont. End result you turn more people against gay rights then before.

Great a Country divided.

No, a tipping point will be reached, and eventually, even if it takes 20 years, the Federal Government will intervene based on the "full faith and credit clause" and require that all states recognize Gay marriages performed in Gay marriage states. So, Jane and Jill in Montgomery might have to fly to Vegas to get hitched, but Alabama has to recognize it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #505 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »

So, ok, per map at Wikipedia... is it really true that only a statue in WA prevents gay marriage... whats the hold up here Dems?

Hey, while we are at it, perhaps you could explain how such a progressive state like Wisconsin passed an amendment banning gay marriage.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #506 on: June 03, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 05:09:22 PM by Holmes »

That was when the Republicans had control of the legislature. Funny story, they actually became a minority the same year they passed that.

Lynch said this before signing the bill today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Smiley
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #507 on: June 03, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »

Hey, while we are at it, perhaps you could explain how such a progressive state like Wisconsin passed an amendment banning gay marriage.

Long story short, dickweed Republicans controlled the state legislature for several sessions, passed the amendment, and the public voted for it in 2006 because the anti-gay forces outspent the equal rights forces 3-1. Not that that excuses the Wisconsin electorate... only one county voted No... Dane, though La Crosse was close.

It is a travesty... same in Michigan... failures of Democrats to come out and fight... too preoccupied by the idea of picking up a house seat in GB and winning the state Senate back.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #508 on: June 03, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »

Menominee county didn't vote no?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #509 on: June 03, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 05:34:22 PM by MK IN GA »

Great a Country divided.

No, a tipping point will be reached, and eventually, even if it takes 20 years, the Federal Government will intervene based on the "full faith and credit clause" and require that all states recognize Gay marriages performed in Gay marriage states. So, Jane and Jill in Montgomery might have to fly to Vegas to get hitched, but Alabama has to recognize it.

Great ideal, the federal government force the states to recognize it.    

ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #510 on: June 03, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »

They both have heavily Democratic legislatures that block the use of constitutional amendments (at least on this subject) as wedges.

Still, considering that they're rather conservative states you'd have thought that they would've had such things written into their constitutions.  Just goes to show, don't assume everything.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #511 on: June 03, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »

Dunno if it's been discussed yet but...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gUUXsl3sakXbS8W1AYb4xSxxEMIgD98JEPVG1
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #512 on: June 03, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »

Great a Country divided.

This post originally said "Hopefully I'll be dead in 20 years"

If the gays get married and are federally recognized, what's the point in living anymore! Sad
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #513 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:40 PM »

Great a Country divided.

This post originally said "Hopefully I'll be dead in 20 years"

If the gays get married and are federally recognized, what's the point in living anymore! Sad

Well thats what you want isn't it?

In 20 years I would like to be dead because honestly I'm worried about our country.   Who knows maybe my views will have changed by then, but don't count on it.   
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #514 on: June 03, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »

Great a Country divided.

Ever heard of a little document called the Constitution?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #515 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »

In 20 years I would like to be dead because honestly I'm worried about our country.   Who knows maybe my views will have changed by then, but don't count on it.   

Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #516 on: June 03, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »

In 20 years I would like to be dead because honestly I'm worried about our country.   Who knows maybe my views will have changed by then, but don't count on it.  

For the life of me, I still don't understand how gay marriage impacts you negatively. Enough with the hysterics, and the drama.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #517 on: June 03, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »

Great a Country divided.

Sure.

Gay marriages have nothing to do with the constitution though.   

Great to see we have those who think the government should just take over.  Damned the states rights or the 10Th amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: June 03, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »

Take over what? Are you saying the citizens of the US currently live in anarchy or something?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #519 on: June 03, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »

Great a Country divided.

Sure.

Gay marriages have nothing to do with the constitution though.   

Great to see we have those who think the government should just take over.  Damned the states rights or the 10Th amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Irrelevant.

Full Faith and Credit Clause:

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

Liberals using The Full Faith and Credit Clause to force homosexual marriages upon other
states.    Digusting, and will make many people angry which isn't a good thing for gay rights.

Sodom & Gomorrah = The united states in 20 years.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #521 on: June 03, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »

Liberals using The Full Faith and Credit Clause to force homosexual marriages upon other
states.    Digusting, and will make many people angry which isn't a good thing for gay rights.

Sodom & Gomorrah = The united states in 20 years.

Looking forward to it!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #522 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

This is why we have to improve our education system.  Some people are still emerging out of it intensely self-unaware
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #523 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »

This is why we have to improve our education system.  Some people are still emerging out of it intensely self-unaware

You can't really teach that though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #524 on: June 03, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »

Well, you can create an environment where people don't emerge hilariously so, right?

Maybe it's just a pipe dream
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies