Suggestions for Government Types (Closed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:16:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Suggestions for Government Types (Closed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Suggestions for Government Types (Closed)  (Read 10176 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: March 23, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

Abolition: the abolition of the national government in favor of the creation of multiple nations.

Unitarianism: the abolition of the regional governments, with all powers thereof shifted to the national government.

I'd also propose breaking up Smid's proposal into:

Universalism: the creation of a bicameral system in which all participants are a member of the lower house and the upper house is elected.

Parliamentarianism: a parliamentary-style system of governance.

Some people may wish to be universalists and not parliamentarians, whereas others may feel the opposite way.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »

Abolition: the abolition of the national government in favor of the creation of multiple nations.

Unitarianism: the abolition of the regional governments, with all powers thereof shifted to the national government.

Universalism: the creation of a bicameral system in which all participants are a member of the lower house and the upper house is elected.

Some people may wish to be universalists and not parliamentarians, whereas others may feel the opposite way.

Could you expand on how delineating the two differently would change the underlying meaning? Or could the broader term come to include either/or during later discussion?

The individual components wouldn't be any different, essentially, but it's breaking it apart that's the important part.  IMO, having a parliamentary system and having a universal system aren't at all mutually implicational; one could easily come up with a universalist system that's basically like what currently exists with everyone else serving in the lower house and a parliamentary system that's unicameral with elected members but no universalism.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »

Could you expand on how delineating the two differently would change the underlying meaning? Or could the broader term come to include either/or during later discussion?

The individual components wouldn't be any different, essentially, but it's breaking it apart that's the important part.  IMO, having a parliamentary system and having a universal system aren't at all mutually implicational; one could easily come up with a universalist system that's basically like what currently exists with everyone else serving in the lower house and a parliamentary system that's unicameral with elected members but no universalism.

So would both proposals that I have listed properly characterize what you mean here? If so then I believe we have a second for your proposal in Lief's proposal and I can place an asterisk next to it.

Looks about right.  I don't particularly support the Presidential Universalism idea, but I figured it should be offered up just in case anyone thinks that parliamentarianism is scary or something Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »

Wow, nobody even seconded Abolitionism?  Jeez.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies