Where would you rather live? The Snowguy edition (aka the cool edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:08:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where would you rather live? The Snowguy edition (aka the cool edition)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Burnsville, MN (Suburb of Minneapolis)

Monticello, MN (Small town turned exurb)

Bemidji, MN (Small city in northern Minnesota)

Collegeville, MN (where I went to college)

Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Where would you rather live? The Snowguy edition (aka the cool edition)  (Read 769 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »

Burnsville- Where I was born... a middle class suburb south of the Minnesota river with about 55,000 residents.  Access to the suburb is now much better than when I lived there and 35W was the only non-one lane bridge crossing and it was only 4 lanes.  Now there are three main bridges with at least 6 lanes.

Monticello- an exurb in Wright County about 30 miles NW of Minneapolis on Interstate 94.  When we lived there it was a small town of about 3000.  It has since quadrupled in size within the city limits and the areas around the city have filled in.  The property taxes here are pretty much non-existent due to the nearby Monticello Nuclear Power plant.  The town has access to several area lakes and the Mississippi River for recreation.

Bemidji- My home town for all intents and purposes... a government, tourist, and college town in the north-central Minnesota lakes country.  There are 100 lakes within a 25 mile radius around the city.  It's a progressive college town, though it is pretty poor.  Still, the recreational opportunities are huge and the quality of life is high despite the lower income.

Salzburg-- Pretty much explains itself.  Birthplace of Mozart and setting for the Sound of Music, it is an instant hit with American and Japanese tourists alike.  The quality of life there is high with ample recreation opportunities as well as relative close proximity to Munich.  You can be skiing in first class terrain within an hour of the city or be in Munich in about 90 minutes.

Salzburg is my favorite place, but Bemidji is home.  For such a small city (about 30,000 people in the area) we have a good arts/culture scene with museums, a playhouse theater, and an art center as well as an arts school and all of the arts put on by the college and the local high school (where choir concerts regularly draw 1100 attendees).

We also have excellent public parks with access to Lake Bemidji and many festivals throughout the year that bring a lot of talent from other areas.  (Taste of Northern Minnesota, Art in the Park, the Water Carnival, Womens' Expo)... we're also close to Walker, the place where Moondance Jam is held each summer, which draws 100,000 people and features top classic rock bands.

In fact, Minnesota is known for music festivals (and so is Wisconsin) like Somerfest, We Fest, Moondance Jam.. and several other folk festivals.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »

Well if I spoke German, Salzburg. Absent that, probably the place nearest the big city, that burb.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »

God damn it I voted for the college town before I noticed the last option was outside of the Bad Place.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »

Burnsville, though it's an inferior-quality suburb Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »