Death Penalty Repeal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Death Penalty Repeal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Death Penalty Repeal  (Read 2157 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »

An interesting development is occurring across the nation,  Liberals in several state legislatures are pushing to, and in some instances have succeeded in passing repeals of the death penalty.

After Dukakis got walloped in 1988, most politicians supporting repeal stopped talking about it.

Now, they are suprising their constituents by supporting a repeal.

I wonder what will happen if a prisoner previously sentenced to execution, subsequently spared by repeal, ends up killing a guard or escaping from incarceration and kills others?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »

An interesting development is occurring across the nation,  Liberals in several state legislatures are pushing to, and in some instances have succeeded in passing repeals of the death penalty.

After Dukakis got walloped in 1988, most politicians supporting repeal stopped talking about it.

I wonder what will happen if a prisoner previously sentenced to execution, subsequently spared by repeal, ends up killing a guard or escaping from incarceration and kills others?

Oh well I guess we should just kill everyone, then.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »

Better an innocent man pay the ultimate price than the full wrath of one crime's retaliation be denied, eh?
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »

I wonder what happens if that occurs on death row now.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »

And what will happen when someone executed is later revealed to have been innoncent?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »

And what will happen when someone executed is later revealed to have been innoncent?

You don't understand, there is no such thing as an innocent person on death row? How ever could you get that idea? Wink
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »

It's just not liberals, though. Like I said in the other thread, the Republican-controlled New Hampshire legislature voted to repeal it in 2002, but Jeane Shaheen vetoed it. And John Lynch is also gonna veto it when it reaches his desk later this year too.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »

Murderers, paedophiles, rapists and drug traffickers need to be shot as a deterrent to others.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »

Murderers, paedophiles, rapists and drug traffickers need to be shot as a deterrent to others.

Why must an act of evil be reprised by another?

(And WTF drug traffickers?)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »

Killing someone who killed another person is not evil.  It is justice.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Matahma Gandhi

Is that justice? If so, at what cost? Where does this the lust for some semblance of vengeance leave us in the end? Why must the penance for inhumanity be for us to lower ourselves to the level of those who have already claimed for themselves of that title?

By killing those who have killed others we are solving nothing. No amount of wrath can undo their trepasses. No amount of violence can bring back those who have been lost. Where are we left once our retaliation has been completed? Have not we ourselves become no better than those we once sought to rid?

The value of one life is no different than the value of another. In our zealous bloodlust we have forgotten this and cast upon ourselves the role of God. This is the true moral decay that has plagued this country and this world.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »

Killing someone who killed another person is not evil.  It is justice.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Matahma Gandhi

Is that justice? If so, at what cost? Where does this the lust for some semblance of vengeance leave us in the end? Why must the penance for inhumanity be for us to lower ourselves to the level of those who have already claimed for themselves of that title?

By killing those who have killed others we are solving nothing. No amount of wrath can undo their trepasses. No amount of violence can bring back those who have been lost. Where are we left once our retaliation has been completed? Have not we ourselves become no better than those we once sought to rid?

The value of one life is no different than the value of another. In our zealous bloodlust we have forgotten this and cast upon ourselves the role of God. This is the true moral decay that has plagued this country and this world.

It is hardly 'moral decay'.  The death penalty has been around for ages.  It is probably the oldest of penalties.  I disagree with your assertion that every life has equal value.  This is not to say that I believe we are not created equal - we are.  But when people sin, they lose a little bit of their soul.  There is a difference between killing and murder - and those who oppose the death penalty fail to take this into account.

You say that killing a person 'never solves anything'.  Does locking them in jail for years solve anything?  By that logic we should let them go free because incarcerating them solves nothing.  Also, the death penalty serves as a deterrent.  And if it can prevent more murders, then it may be the most just institution in the world.

Just because something has been around a long time doesn't mean that it is better or right.

If a person's worth is only as evident as the wholeness of their soul (whatever that means), who is to judge this? How can such a subjective measure ever be of any use? Is there some crime to soul decay chart that can help explain this? When does their life's value go below that of animal's we wouldn't want killed? Additionally, if your claim is true, would not someone who commits numerous minor crimes ultimately lose more of their soul than someone who commits one murder (or in Winston's case, sell some drugs)? Under your guidelines, would not they be eligible for the death penalty too?

Yes, there is a difference between killing and murder. Self-defense, for example, is not murder, but only because doing so is less evil than the aggravated, calculated (sometimes) act that would have taken its stead. The state-sanctioned killing of those convicted of crimes does not do this. There is no direct evil that is being adverted by killing them. The death penalty only serves as a self-righteous exercise of blind hatred in a feeble attempt to convince ourselves that we have some kind of control in this world.

You are right that locking up prisoners for life does not bring back or 'solve' the crime. What I am arguing is that the death penalty is morally abhorrent and doesn't solve anything, whereas life imprisonment is not morally abhorrent, and though it doesn't 'solve' anything, it is the best that we can do.

I don't believe the death penalty acts as much of a deterrent. It sure hasn't worked well in this country.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »

I think everybody who supports the death penalty should be lined up and shot. There's no place in the world for barbarism.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »

I think everybody who supports the death penalty should be lined up and shot. There's no place in the world for barbarism.

*facepalm*
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2009, 07:29:17 AM by The Man Machine »

I wonder what will happen if I think up of a random scenario out of the blue which subsequently happens to prove whatever political point I wish to make, despite having only a thing resemblence with reality?

Oh to answer your question, about a million times more media outrage than when people convincted on dubious grounds are executed...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »

Do you realise how retarded what you just said is? Get banned.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »

Do you realise how retarded what you just said is? Get banned.

I believe that was joke. And a good one.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

Thickos.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »

The responses to this thread illustrate that at this time the forum is infested with extreme ly arrogant far left-wing posters.

First, despite the will of the voters, opponents of the death penalty are eager to impose their beliefs on the people.

Second, no matter how many murders an individual may commit, many of the posters on this forum appear to believe that the taxpayers should be punished for those murders by being compelled to provide for the needs of the convicted murderers.

Third, the lefties have absolutely no sympathy for real people, and do not care if convicted murders kill again, and again, and again.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2009, 11:22:01 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

The responses to this thread illustrate that at this time the forum is infested with extreme ly arrogant far left-wing posters.

First, despite the will of the voters, opponents of the death penalty are eager to impose their beliefs on the people.

Second, no matter how many murders an individual may commit, many of the posters on this forum appear to believe that the taxpayers should be punished for those murders by being compelled to provide for the needs of the convicted murderers.

Third, the lefties have absolutely no sympathy for real people, and do not care if convicted murders kill again, and again, and again.

Roll Eyes

Tell me, is a pro-life Catholic who opposes abortion and the death penalty far left-wing?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »

it costs more to execute somebody than to jail them for life
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »

And what happens when they murder a guard, a fellow inmate or escape and murder someone else?

Is that free?

Oh, and lets reduce the cost of execution by making attorneys who file frivilous motions pay the full costs of legal proceedings emenating from such motions, and suspend them from practice of law until they make payments in full.

What is the love affair among leftists for murderers and hatred of taxpayers?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 01:57:23 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2009, 02:00:26 AM by Mint »

Admittedly true, however as I've pointed out before:

Appeals are ridiculous but if you factor in plea bargains and other measures taken to avoid a death sentence the cost really isn't that much. In fact it might even save money.

And that's to say nothing of the multiple studies done which do in fact suggest a deterrence effect.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 02:02:24 AM »

Reading what Donald Trump said about the death penalty and crime made me say, "He da man." Tongue

Capital punishment isn’t uncivilized; murderers living is
Civilized people don’t put up with barbaric behavior. Would it have been civilized to put Hitler in prison? No-it would have been an affront to civilization. The same is true of criminals who prey on innocent people. They have declared war on civilization. I don’t care if the victim is a CEO or a floor sweeper. A life is a life, and if you criminally take an innocent life you’d better be prepared to forfeit your own. My only complaint is that lethal injection is too comfortable a way to go
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102-3 Jul 2, 2000

Death penalty deters like violent TV leads kids astray
I can’t believe that executing criminals doesn’t have a deterrent effect. To point out the extreme, 100% of the people who are executed never commit another crime. And it seems self-evident (we can’t put numbers to this) that a lot of people who might otherwise commit a capital crime are convinced not to because they know there’s a chance they could die for it.

Young male murderers, we are constantly told, are led astray by violent music and violent movies. Fair enough. I believe that people are affected by what they read, see, hear, and experience. Only a fool believes otherwise. So you can’t say on one hand that a kid is affected by music and movies and then turn around and say he is absolutely not affected when he turns on the evening news and sees that a criminal has gone to the chair for killing a child. Obviously capital punishment isn’t going to deter everyone. But how can it not put the fear of death into many would-be killers?
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102-4 Jul 2, 2000

Hold judges accountable; don’t reduce sentences
Criminals are often returned to society because of forgiving judges. This has to stop. We need to hold judges more accountable, and the best way to make that happen is to elect them. Whey they hurt us, we need to make sure we can vote them out of the job. The rest of us need to rethink prisons and punishment. The next time you hear someone saying there are too many people in prison, ask them how many thugs they’re willing to relocate to their neighborhood. The answer: None.
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.106-7 Jul 2, 2000

For tough anti-crime policies; not criminals’ rights
We can have safe streets. But unless we stand up for tough anticrime policies, they will be replaced by policies that emphasize criminals’ rights over those of ordinary citizens.

Soft criminal sentences are based on the proposition that criminals are the victims of society. A lot of people in high places really do believe that criminals are victims. The only victim of a violent crime is the person getting shot, stabbed, or raped. The perpetrator is never a victim. He’s nothing more than a predator.
Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p. 93-94 Jul 2, 2000
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »

Aren't you one of those "Republic, OMG!!! Not democracy!!!!" loons?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »

Indeed the fact is that Death Penalty is a proven deterrent... shown by the fact that the American murder rate is far lower than that of any European country.

Oh, wait....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anti-DP = Far-left. What?

All that proves is that America wouldn't know 'far left' if it hit him in the face with two freezing cold fresh haddock while humming the internationale.

Morality = Democracy, Is that what you are saying?

If the majority of Americans supported fully open borders and illegal immigration, would you be okay with that, or would you be "eager to impose... beliefs on the people".

Rhetoric and no substance. If one is in prison with life without parole than I suppose it is extremely unlike that they will commit a crime again. I opposed to "without parole" sentencing btw, but that is a different point. Thinking that an opposition to DP = A love of murderers is obscene rhetoricizing with no point behind it except to show how one's morality to superior to someone else's.

And as pointed out it often costs more to execute people than to have put away.

I bet you anything that happens much less often then cases of innocent people being executed, a point you have ignored the entire time.

I also severely doubt that the Death Penalty or prison in general is really a deterrant to crime. Better upbringing and less machismo culture would probably be effective.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies