should minors be allowed to smoke/possess tobacco?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:29:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  should minors be allowed to smoke/possess tobacco?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: should minors be allowed to smoke/possess tobacco?  [remember, not purchase tobacco, but rather, simply possess and use]
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: should minors be allowed to smoke/possess tobacco?  (Read 8429 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »

what difference does this difference in age make?
I know how it ends.  she'll kill me quick!
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »

Sure, if they like inhaling smoke.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »

They should be able to buy it too.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »

There's no conceivable way for the state to punish it, but adults who provide it should be punished.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:39:03 AM »

Of course not.  Dip is the one of the most disgusting things in the world.  In fact, in my top 10 list of the least desirable things a girl can do, dip topped out at #1.  Let's spare the gums of people not mature enough not to know not to do it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 02:00:56 AM »

Of course not.  Dip is the one of the most disgusting things in the world.  In fact, in my top 10 list of the least desirable things a girl can do, dip topped out at #1.  Let's spare the gums of people not mature enough not to know not to do it.

I think thick mascara and chocolate yogurt are disgusting and unattractive too, but I'm not going to ban them
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »

They do anyway.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »

No.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »

Agreed.

However, nothing should be done to enforce it, in my opinion. Just wastes resources.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

no
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

Absolutely.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »

can some of the 'no' people enlighten me as to how this could/should be enforced?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »

can some of the 'no' people enlighten me as to how this could/should be enforced?

In the future "seven years from now," America has lost the war on drugs. A highly addictive and debilitating illegal drug called Substance D, made from a small blue flower, has swept across the country. In response, the government develops an invasive, high-tech surveillance system and puts in place a network of informants and undercover agents.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »

Agreed.

However, nothing should be done to enforce it, in my opinion. Just wastes resources.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »

Agreed.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »

Agreed.

productive
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Agreed.

Isn't that just a de facto yes then? It doesn't make sense to say "no" but then say it is not to be enforced--that is a contradiction.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2009, 02:59:25 PM by Torie »

Agreed.

Isn't that just a de facto yes then? It doesn't make sense to say "no" but then say it is not to be enforced--that is a contradiction.

Some contradictions prove useful. Gray can be a beautiful color. Sometimes, the existence of a law makes a statement as to society's attitude (and it will affect the market place), and even if enforcement resources are directed elsewhere, the statement can stand on its own.
Should we repeal anti littering laws even if there were minimal enforcement of them?  I don't think so.

I used to think the gray way about pot. Sure, for many folks it is fine, but do we really want to legalize it, and have it sold over the counter?  Keeping it illegal, while minimizing enforcement, appealed to me, even as a stoner. Laws cannot be all about oneself. Now, based on more information, I actually do want to legalize pot, so that analogy ceases to be of so much use to me. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »

Yes but I don't really care in any case, and smoking should be banned in public places anyway.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:15:27 AM »

In the future "seven years from now," America has lost the war on drugs. A highly addictive and debilitating illegal drug called Substance D, made from a small blue flower, has swept across the country. In response, the government develops an invasive, high-tech surveillance system and puts in place a network of informants and undercover agents.
Loved that movie.

Anyway, just focus on the purchasing aspect. It's really not that hard to bust shop keepers for selling it to high school kids (or adults purchasing it for them). Treat it the same way as alcohol, basically.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:03 AM »

I think thick mascara and chocolate yogurt are disgusting and unattractive too, but I'm not going to ban them
If mascara is found to cause cancer, then yes, let's ban it for under 18's.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 02:46:04 AM »

I used to think the gray way about pot. Sure, for many folks it is fine, but do we really want to legalize it, and have it sold over the counter?  Keeping it illegal, while minimizing enforcement, appealed to me, even as a stoner.

A stoner finding the option with the least amount of effort appealing?  Unpossible.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »

If mascara is found to cause cancer, then yes, let's ban it for under 18's.

soap, deodorant, hair spray, Johnson's Baby Shampoo, talcum powder, and hot dogs all contain carcinogens.  should their consumption by under 18s be banned?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »

soap, deodorant, hair spray, Johnson's Baby Shampoo, talcum powder, and hot dogs all contain carcinogens.  should their consumption by under 18s be banned?
Roll Eyes

Even assuming that smoking was no worse in terms of cancer risks (obviously not true) there's still heart disease, emphysema, brain damage, premature skin aging, etc. associated with prolonged use. I'd rather not pay for the costs of that because some 12-18 year old kid decided to puff up outside of class.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »

Roll Eyes

Even assuming that smoking was no worse in terms of cancer risks (obviously not true) there's still heart disease, emphysema, brain damage, premature skin aging, etc. associated with prolonged use. I'd rather not pay for the costs of that because some 12-18 year old kid decided to puff up outside of class.

it was Harry who set up a carcinogen litmus test, not I.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies