most 'enlightened' us state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:43:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  most 'enlightened' us state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .....
vermont

massachusetts

rhode island

connecticut

new york

california

oregon

washington

other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: most 'enlightened' us state?  (Read 4014 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:08 PM »

Do you realize how silly you look when you make posts like this?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

i love va.  it is my native state.  but...get real.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »

There are of course such creatures as intolerant liberals and tolerant conservatives, they are all over the place.  If we are talking about fiscal conservatives who have more or less libertarian attitudes on social issues, then sure conservatives can be exceptionally tolerant.  I'm orgininally from North Dakota and Wyoming is a neigbor state that I visited often, and conservatives there are both fiscally and socially conservative, as far as I could tell.  But, like I said, I'm not sure any state can be described as uniquely or particularly enlightened these days, no matter what its predominating political affiliation.

When I said conservatives... I meant social conservatives. How are they any less enlightened? Some of them get it way better than liberals.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »

That was meant to be less than serious.  Hard to define "enlightened" regarding states.  I'd say Massachusetts.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »

There are of course such creatures as intolerant liberals and tolerant conservatives, they are all over the place.  If we are talking about fiscal conservatives who have more or less libertarian attitudes on social issues, then sure conservatives can be exceptionally tolerant.  I'm orgininally from North Dakota and Wyoming is a neigbor state that I visited often, and conservatives there are both fiscally and socially conservative, as far as I could tell.  But, like I said, I'm not sure any state can be described as uniquely or particularly enlightened these days, no matter what its predominating political affiliation.

When I said conservatives... I meant social conservatives. How are they any less enlightened? Some of them get it way better than liberals.

How so?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »

That was meant to be less than serious.  Hard to define "enlightened" regarding states.  I'd say Massachusetts.

"Fake" Virginia is...

I would say Vermont.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 12:32:10 AM »

How so?

They understand that majority rule is mob mentality, and checks and balances are far superior in maintaining a free country.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

How so?

They understand that majority rule is mob mentality, and checks and balances are far superior in maintaining a free country.

The last 8 years, FMA......
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »

FMA?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

Federal Marriage Amendment.

After at least the last 8 years Republicans shouldn't be able to say they're the party of 'small government' or 'rule of law' with a straight face.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »

Or the approximately 1,100 federal laws President George W. Bush challenged with the signing statements he appended to congressional bills, in many of which he invoked executive authority to ingnore or construe as the executive saw fit the legislation being enacted?  Not exactly a model of checks and balances.  And I don't recall the Republican majorites in congress during the George W. Bush presidency as being exactly reserved about passing legislation with little or no negotiation or compromise involved. 

The earliest founders, if I'm not mistaken, were hostile to partisan politics because they thought it undermind statesmanship.  They did design a government with checks and balances because they knew that parties in the majority would misbehave and overreach.  They were geniuses.  Today, in my estimation, both Democrats and Republicans are far less than geniuses in the ways both handle power and in the ways we distort democratic processes.   
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

After at least the last 8 years Republicans shouldn't be able to say they're the party of 'small government' or 'rule of law' with a straight face.

Ah... but what does that have to do with social conservative voters?
Barack Hussian YO MAMA!!!!
The Rascal King
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.46, S: 4.96

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2009, 05:50:12 PM by MASSHOLE »

They certainly aren't enlightened in Mass.

They are one of the worst states out there.
that means a lot coming from somebody who lives in new jersey,
Massachusetts is clearly the most enlightened state out there, its also the most awesome state, the the state that has the most attractive women, and we have all of the best sports team's.

if any of you don't think Massachusetts is the smartest state then you should see the movie good will hunting where a janitor from the mean streets  of south boston who works at MIT does a math equation that makes a math professor realize he is a genius, the only problem is he has a dysfunctional personal life and winds up in jail, so he has to see a therapist in order to stay out of prison but no therapist can deal with him, then he meets a therapist who really reaches him. with Hilarius consequences.

its a good flick. long story short Massachusetts is wicked smahrt.   
Barack Hussian YO MAMA!!!!
The Rascal King
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.46, S: 4.96

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

If you mean 'enlightened' in the sense of the Enlightenment then I would probably go for Massachusetts.
I think you spelled entitlement wrong.

I was going to respond to that but I forgot that Nebraska was totally irrelevant.
moving on.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »

Oh good, I wasn't too late for the infomercial. What's next, Zorbeez?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »

Probably Arizona or Nevada

All the New England states are homogenous blobs of white people who hate minorities but pretend to like them simply because they don't have to deal with them.  Do you think Massachusetts residents would love an influx of illegal immigrants?  Of course not, but they don't have a problem with them being there, so what do they care?  That's what makes Vermont seem so progressive, everyone is the same so of course they have the same views and are tolerant.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

New England hates minorities?

LMAO
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

Ah... but what does that have to do with social conservative voters?

Well they were the ones who were the most supportive of writing discrimination into our Constitution.......
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »

Mississippi
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 06:24:52 AM »

Hate might not be the right word, but the white people up there certainly hold more stereotypes than the white people in say....Minnesota or Iowa.  It's a different kind of racism in New England.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »

If you mean 'enlightened' in the sense of the Enlightenment then I would probably go for Massachusetts.
I think you spelled entitlement wrong.

I was going to respond to that but I forgot that Nebraska was totally irrelevant.
moving on.
Says the guy who's main argument involves a movie most likely written by a guy from New Jersey.  Shouldn't you be freaking out over a lite bright about now while erasing every letter "R" you see?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies