N.C. Bill aims for tougher bullying policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:26:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  N.C. Bill aims for tougher bullying policy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: N.C. Bill aims for tougher bullying policy  (Read 2232 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »

http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/1459943.html

Should school-yard bullies be punished at school? Or through the criminal justice system?

State Rep. Nick Mackey says treat them as criminals.

"Most bullying incidents are crimes, and we need to look at it this way," he said. "I know a lot of people would ... say, 'That's kids being kids.'"

Mackey is among more than 50 co-sponsors of a House bill that would create a statewide policy on bullying. The measure doesn't call for specific sanctions. Instead it requires school districts to spell out their own "consequences and appropriate remedial action."

Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools adopted a bullying policy a year ago that sets guidelines for dealing with bullies, while generally giving school administrators some discretion. "We want our response to always be appropriate to the offense, and for the most part, I think we're doing a good job," school board chairwoman Molly Griffin said Thursday. "We want our kids not only to be safe but to feel safe."

Mackey, a freshman Democrat from Charlotte, filed a police report March 10 over one bullying incident. It says food -- Rice Krispiestreats, fruit roll-ups, pudding and cookies -- were stolen from an 11-year-old student's lunch. The boy had experienced similar thefts for two weeks.

Police Capt. Karl Bannerman said the case was referred to the district attorney's office.

Mackey sent a dozen questions by e-mail to school officials asking for a copy of the bullying policy as well as statistics on the number of incidents and complaints at the school involved.

Mackey declined to offer details about the incident or his relationship to the victim.

Bullying, which includes taking food or other possessions, can bring suspensions of a day or longer. Mackey said the punishment should be more severe.

"If a kid comes up to another kid and takes something from them, from their person, yeah, I would say that's a strong-arm robbery," said Mackey, a lawyer. "That's a felony. If I snatch your purse from you, that's a strong-arm robbery."

Not everybody agrees.

"The question is, do we really want to get into the business of criminalizing children at our schools for every rule that they break? And I would say no," said Rep. Tricia Cotham, a Charlotte Democrat who also co-sponsored the bullying bill.

"However, if a child breaks a serious rule that is also criminal -- such as using a weapon or taunting a person with a gun or with threats -- then it may be necessary to involve the legal system," she said. "But for most routine examples of bullying, they are not at that level."

-------

Generally agree, it is very disturbing that schools tend to is underpunish acts of bullying that have direct victims (under the fallacy of "kids will be kids"), while children tend to be overpunished for lesser offenses (such as cursing, dress code violations, etc.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:09 PM »

Bullying needs to be dealt with, but this goes too far.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »

This is a good idea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »

^^^^^

As someone who was bullied a lot back in the day, I feel like things may have been different if the police had let their parents know how serious it is.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »

Bullying laws are stupid.  If you can't stand up to a bully and need the school to do it for you, you are going to be a masssive failure in life
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »

Bullying laws are stupid.  If you can't stand up to a bully and need the school to do it for you, you are going to be a masssive failure in life

Uh, the idea is to make the consequences of bullying parallel to real life. If someone is trying to rob/beat/whatever you every day, sure, your first line of defence is yourself. But even if you manage to solve that problem on your own, wouldn't you agree that it's probably a good idea to inform the police (or teacher/principal in this instance)? Kids (and young adults) aren't going to be able to defend themselves sometimes and deserve to be able to appeal to a higher authority that will take them seriously.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:45 AM »

Actually, this bill doesn't go far enough.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:31:59 AM »

I think Bill Gates renders your argument null and void, if you're into that sort of thing.

I agree with the representative at the end of the article. Get cops involved if something serious occurs, not as an automatic go-to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies