Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:15:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world?  (Read 1968 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »

It almost seems like, with our current President taking cowardly steps, refusing to even reference the War on Terror, closing Gitmo, and other events including changing the idea of calling One World Trade Center "the Freedom Tower"....has the post-9/11 mentality of 2001-2004 worn off? If it has, let's hope our judgment does not become complacent.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »

We are post nothing. 9/11 was only a temporary blip in the wider scale of things, the "War on terror" was only a sales pitch and a gimmick catchphrase popular with a certain type of voter, nothing more.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »

has the post-9/11 mentality of 2001-2004 worn off?
I think you just answered your question.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

It almost seems like, with our current President taking cowardly steps, refusing to even reference the War on Terror, closing Gitmo, and other events including changing the idea of calling One World Trade Center "the Freedom Tower"....has the post-9/11 mentality of 2001-2004 worn off? If it has, let's hope our judgment does not become complacent.

idiot
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

has the post-9/11 mentality of 2001-2004 worn off?
I think you just answered your question.

sshhh.. Don't accuse of Naso of logical consistency.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »

Don't get angry at me just because you guys helped elect a coward in the White House. The guy is so whipped.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Don't get angry at me just because you guys helped elect a coward in the White House. The guy is so whipped.

I repeat: idiot
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

No, we supported John Kerry.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »

Naso, do you think in anything else other than trite Hollywood cliches, I mean, come on, there must be a soul - an essense of you - free from such bollocks.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »

You're acting kinda OOC.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »

If I weren't familiar with Naso, I'd say the original poster might be under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or a combination of both.

Sadly, I know better.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »

As always, Franzl is  right about a Republican.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »

I'm confused - whipped by what?  A pussy?  A muslim?  I thought he was one of the latter, now you're saying he's one of the former.

Anyway, the concerns you mention are utterly laughable.  I wonder if any dumbasses were still worried about what happened to Franz Ferdinand in 1929.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »

This thread is stupid.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »

How'd I know this was a Naso thread? Oh, and calling your future boss a coward, Naso? Not wise.

Naso attacks me about something related to Santorum in cinque, quatro, tre, due...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »

Instead of all jumping on the partisan and somewhat inane nature of Naso's post, perhaps we should shift this and ask whether we are living in a world that is culturally 'post-9/11'?

'Postcolonialism' has produced some of the finest literature in history - in my opinion at least - both from the metropole and the periphery; while 9/11 may pale in significance as an 'event' in comparison, do we think that this has had and will continue to have a major cultural impact? I can think of a few works that have been described as being culturally 'post-9/11' - Joseph O'Neill's Netherland, which I admit to not having read so I can't really comment - but is this the dawning of a new cultural and literary movement or is it just - as Gully put it - a 'blip'?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

Instead of all jumping on the partisan and somewhat inane nature of Naso's post, perhaps we should shift this and ask whether we are living in a world that is culturally 'post-9/11'?

'Postcolonialism' has produced some of the finest literature in history - in my opinion at least - both from the metropole and the periphery; while 9/11 may pale in significance as an 'event' in comparison, do we think that this has had and will continue to have a major cultural impact? I can think of a few works that have been described as being culturally 'post-9/11' - Joseph O'Neill's Netherland, which I admit to not having read so I can't really comment - but is this the dawning of a new cultural and literary movement or is it just - as Gully put it - a 'blip'?

In (semi) popular culture (ie. The Cinema; the only one I'm fit to speak about) a dreary drabness has been replaced by... an even drearier drabness and misanthropy which mistakes itself for art. I despair.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

Okay...so if postcolonialism is perhaps associated with the idea of 'displacement' - somewhat crude I will admit - then post-9/11'ism' would be characterized by despair perhaps?

Personally, I think that the idea of 'post 9/11' is sort of an occidental notion of postcolonialism and that it is more likely to spawn a new wave of western postcolonial writers than it is to spawn its own new cultural discourse.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »

How'd I know this was a Naso thread? Oh, and calling your future boss a coward, Naso? Not wise.

Naso attacks me about something related to Santorum in cinque, quatro, tre, due...

I respect the President, he is my boss and my President. That aside, I do have my personal opinion.

Phil, don't always assume I will attack you about Santorum.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

I respect the President, he is my boss and my President. That aside, I do have my personal opinion.

You respect him so much that you call him "a coward" and "whipped." Ok...
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »

I don't believe that President Obama is personally a coward.  I do believe he espouses a "cowardly" foreign policy.  The best foreign policy is, as Teddy Roosevelt said, to "speak softly and carry a big stick".  I'm afraid we have moved from an era of "Yelling at the top of our lungs and carrying a big stick" to "Speaking softly and carrying a foam nerf bat"  Its sad that we always have to lurch between two ridiculous extreme positions.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »

This idea that there was a massive cultural shift, or repositioning, to me, is sort of silly. A "post 9/11" world is overstated. Big changes have occurred, no doubt, but to use 9/11 as the delineation point between an "old outlook" to a radically new one is false.

The OP is hilarious. Obama is whipped, but Bush was not? Give me a break.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »

I don't know anybody that was culturally effected by September 11th, and if you were, you're an effete pantywaist. Or pantywaste. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 12:59:16 AM »

Bin Laden wished he had done as much damage to America as Bush.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies