The Regional Activity Amendment (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:02:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Regional Activity Amendment (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Regional Activity Amendment (Final Vote)  (Read 3518 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
« edited: April 10, 2009, 07:39:16 AM by Senator HappyWarrior »

The Regional Activity Amendment

1. Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read: "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at the same level of government. This is not to exclude one from holding offices at different levels of government."

Sponser: Franzl
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »

As much as I'd love to be governor/senator and want Inks to do the same, I cannot support this amendment
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

As much as I'd love to be governor/senator and want Inks to do the same, I cannot support this amendment

why not?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »

Doing this would make sure that less people can take part in Atlasia because certain very popular people could hold more than one office. Thus I won't be supporting this.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »

Doing this would make sure that less people can take part in Atlasia because certain very popular people could hold more than one office. Thus I won't be supporting this.

but that's the problem, we have problems filling the positions as is.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »

I completely agree. I can't see a good reason to have people holding more than one office. Additionally, this is a rather unimportant bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »

On an aside it removes a powerful 'check' against power holding in Atlasia, as difficult it is to get the numbers. Why would I want a governor who is also a senator? Divided time and divided loyalties.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »

On an aside it removes a powerful 'check' against power holding in Atlasia, as difficult it is to get the numbers. Why would I want a governor who is also a senator? Divided time and divided loyalties.

Fair point.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »

I agree, I am not much for this bill.  I put it in the PPT's discretion slot at the urging of a constituent.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »

I strongly oppose this. We need more officeholders, not fewer.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »

I could maybe see this for regional legislators or judiciaries, but definitely not regional executives.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »

Perhaps this could use some limits, but the fact that elections for Assembly are not competitive in the least bit is, well, frustrating. Maybe have it state that only executive positions can't hold double office. So Governors and the President can't serve in anything but that office. But a Senator or Cabinet member can be on an Assembly.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »

I support this, FTR.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »

Perhaps this could use some limits, but the fact that elections for Assembly are not competitive in the least bit is, well, frustrating. Maybe have it state that only executive positions can't hold double office. So Governors and the President can't serve in anything but that office. But a Senator or Cabinet member can be on an Assembly.

I would support that as a replacement.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

Submit the following as friendly to replace the current wording:

1. Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read: "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at the same level of government. No member holding an executive office on either the national or regional level shall simultaneously hold two or more offices. This is not to exclude other office holders, not mentioned here, from holding offices at different levels of government."
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2009, 08:50:46 PM by $Dan$ »

I know I am not a senator, but I believe that would be the best thing to do. It would make local races better.

I would want to ask all the senate to vote for this, if this Amendment doesn't pass it will end up killing the local government.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »

1. Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read: "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at the same level of government. No member holding an executive office on either the national or regional level shall simultaneously hold two or more offices. This is not to exclude other office holders, not mentioned here, from holding offices at different levels of government."
Senator and governor is still possible under this scenario (legislative /=/ executive)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »

Senator and governor is still possible under this scenario (legislative /=/ executive)

No executive may hold a second position according to this. So a Senator cannot be a Governor.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 10:01:42 PM »

No executive may hold a second position according to this. So a Senator cannot be a Governor.
So what is this really doing?  The Mideast senator or nationally elected senators from the Mideast can be assemblyman?  What are we doing here how much would that really boost activity at the cost of losing a seperation of powers?

I still remain firmly against this amendment
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

So what is this really doing?  The Mideast senator or nationally elected senators from the Mideast can be assemblyman?  What are we doing here how much would that really boost activity at the cost of losing a seperation of powers?

I still remain firmly against this amendment

I don't see the problem why the senate shouldn't pass this as an Act, and later on when we get more active member you can overturn it. But right now we need this, if we want the regions to stay strong.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »

Personally, I don't see much of a problem regarding seperation of powers. Allowing federal politicians to also hold regional offices might enable regions to become more active, like maybe creating regional assemblies like in the Mideast.

I suppose we don't need regional executives holding federal office, but I would suggest that such a dual office allowance would increase activity.

Sure, primarily, it benefits the Mideast currently, as we're the only region with an active elected regional legislative body, but as said, I think it could provide regions with a motivation to become more active...if people weren't forced to choose between regional and federal office.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »

If this passes you might want to increase the size of the Mideast Assembly. You could easily have a five-member assembly in that case.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:44:06 PM »

If this passes you might want to increase the size of the Mideast Assembly. You could easily have a five-member assembly in that case.

The point is to get more competitive elections, not broader bureaucracy. I don't want to see another three-candidate election for the three Assembly seats. Considering the size of the RPP in the Mideast, why can't they field a candidate for the Assembly? I want 5 or 6 candidates in these races. I want people working for the federal and regional governments.

Does it create a slight imbalance in separations? Perhaps. But just as there is not total separation in any of the branches, there should not be total separation between the federal and regional governments, especially at the expense of active participation.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »

I am personally againest this.  We do not need people holding multiple offices.  Its a big enough job doing one, if people were trying to do two then they would just do both poorly in my opinion unless they live solely in the Atlas.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »

I am personally againest this.  We do not need people holding multiple offices.  Its a big enough job doing one, if people were trying to do two then they would just do both poorly in my opinion unless they live solely in the Atlas.

Exactly, most people have trouble doing one job fully as it is.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies