Is Occam's Razor a logical fallacy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:22:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is Occam's Razor a logical fallacy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Occam's Razor a logical fallacy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Is Occam's Razor a logical fallacy?  (Read 6982 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »

?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »

No, and I'm going to guess you misunderstand it.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem - Pluralities ought not be posited without necessity.  Or, in simple English, "of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred."

The common bastardization is, "the simplest explanation should be assumed to be right," or -- even worse -- "the simplest explanation is true."  This is not at all what William of Ockham's writings explained.  Galilei's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems made fun of this but people haven't stopped.  Mostly because no one reads his sh**t anymore, me included.

So, anyway:  Explain to me how Ockham's original version is fallacious.  Not the common bastardized version, which we all know is.  Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »

No. It merely says that when trying to draw conclusions, it is best to make as few assumptions as possible. In other words use data to draw conclusions, not speculation. I see nothing illogical about that line of thought.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »

It depends on the semantics of words like "simple".

In short I agree with Alcon said, though I think he should keep in mind what I said the last time we discussed this.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »

No, and I'm going to guess you misunderstand it.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem - Pluralities ought not be posited without necessity.  Or, in simple English, "of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simplest one is to be preferred."

The common bastardization is, "the simplest explanation should be assumed to be right," or -- even worse -- "the simplest explanation is true."  This is not at all what William of Ockham's writings explained.  Galilei's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems made fun of this but people haven't stopped.  Mostly because no one reads his sh**t anymore, me included.

So, anyway:  Explain to me how Ockham's original version is fallacious.  Not the common bastardized version, which we all know is.  Tongue

I voted no.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »

It certainly isn't "a logical fallacy," and it's not logically fallacious either. How could it be? It's not an argument of any sort—it's just a postulate.

Occam's Razor is entirely arbitrary, however. (I don't mean that as a condemnation.)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »

The simplest explanation consistent with the established facts is most likely to be true and must be accepted as the best explanation.

The Copernican theory of of a heliocentric system is far simpler than the Earth-centered universe of Ptolemy. Indeed, the Copernican system was accepted even when it was less precise.  Don't laugh! A Ptolemaic system can be as precise as the current one with about 75 circles of movement, some of the subtlest accounting for relativistic effects. It's just too complicated to explain. 

Don't add pointless fluff to a perfectly good theory.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »

The simplest explanation consistent with the established facts is most likely to be true and must be accepted as the best explanation.

Of course, that is a statement rather than an argument. On what ground are we to say that the "simplest" explanation is most realistic?

It's an entirely arbitrary assumption.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »

Of course, that is a statement rather than an argument. On what ground are we to say that the "simplest" explanation is most realistic?

Newton's laws of motion are straightforwad enough.  They are easily expressed, and adding anything to them  muddies them. Kepler's laws of planetary motion? Likewise.

For real complexity -- and doubletalk -- try astrology. It makes astrophysics and relativity look simple by contrast.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »

Newton's laws of motion are straightforwad enough.  They are easily expressed, and adding anything to them  muddies them. Kepler's laws of planetary motion? Likewise.

For real complexity -- and doubletalk -- try astrology. It makes astrophysics and relativity look simple by contrast.

... or Quantum Mechanics.

The idea that the universe "out there" must be in some way "simple" (and to a human - often culture-specific - notion of simplicity at that) is a completely a priori assumption which should not have a great deal of influence over either science or the social 'sciences' (though I admit it does not have some value in the shaping hypothesis).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »

The one that entails the fewest complicated constructs, but that does not make "all else" equal really.  There's probably more writing on Ockham's razor than I've read, but that's always seemed kind of limiting to me Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »

I'm not really familiar with the argument as to why it would be?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 06:09:13 PM »

The one that entails the fewest complicated constructs, but that does not make "all else" equal really.  There's probably more writing on Ockham's razor than I've read, but that's always seemed kind of limiting to me Tongue

Did you misread my post, perhaps? So far as I can tell, your post has nothing to do with mine.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

I agree with these two posts; better than I could've said it.

On what ground are we to say that the "simplest" explanation is most realistic?

The idea that the universe "out there" must be in some way "simple" (and to a human - often culture-specific - notion of simplicity at that) is a completely a priori assumption which should not have a great deal of influence over either science or the social 'sciences' (though I admit it does not have some value in the shaping hypothesis).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2009, 10:38:40 PM by Alcon »

Did you misread my post, perhaps? So far as I can tell, your post has nothing to do with mine.

It did, but forget it.  It was unnecessary Tongue
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »

I did some thinking on this today while on a run.

The value of Occam's Razor depends on one's own epistemological theory.  If scientific models or ideas are merely evaluated for their utility to society and, furthermore, their ability to be translated into various realms of thought and evolve the full body of scientific "knowledge," then Occam's Razor is very relevant.  If a complex idea can be thought of as a system of ideas, then the less complex the system is the easier it can be adjusted to different fields of application or to account for new empirical information.

It is worth noting that, for example, regardless of the relative truth in Newton's theories vs. those of Leibniz, the former, being much simpler and less convoluted than the latter, formed the basis of modern physics, and even the framework for Einstein's disproval of Newtonian physics in itself.  Even though, possibly, from a metaphysical standpoint, Leibniz was closer to Einstein than Newton, it was Newton's theories that had the mutability to progress into something more advanced.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies