Obama to CEO's, “I'm the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:23:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Obama to CEO's, “I'm the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to CEO's, “I'm the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”  (Read 3204 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
« edited: April 03, 2009, 09:17:05 PM by Lunar »

Rather troubling that he's refusing to take TARP money back, when offered.  Isn't getting the money back like the entire point of the emergency loan?  Would signal confidence and everything...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090403/pl_politico/20871

The bankers struggled to make themselves clear to the president of the United States.

Arrayed around a long mahogany table in the White House state dining room last week, the CEOs of the most powerful financial institutions in the world offered several explanations for paying high salaries to their employees — and, by extension, to themselves.

“These are complicated companies,” one CEO said. Offered another: “We’re competing for talent on an international market.”

But President Barack Obama wasn’t in a mood to hear them out. He stopped the conversation and offered a blunt reminder of the public’s reaction to such explanations. “Be careful how you make those statements, gentlemen. The public isn’t buying that.”

“My administration,” the president added, “is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”

The fresh details of the meeting — some never before revealed — come from an account provided to POLITICO by one of the participants. A second source inside the meeting confirmed the details, and two other sources familiar with the meeting offered additional information.

The accounts demonstrate that despite the public comments on both sides that the meeting was cordial, the tone in the room was in fact one of mutual wariness. The titans of finance -- men used to being the most powerful man in almost any room -- sized up a new president who made clear in ways big and small that he expected them to change their ways.

There were signs from the outset that this was a business event, not a social gathering. At each place around the table sat a single glass of water. No ice. For those who finished their glass, no refills were offered. There was no group photograph taken of the CEOs with the president, which typically happens at ceremonial White House gatherings but not at serious strategy sessions.

“The only way they could have sent a more Spartan message is if they had served bread along with the water,” says a person who attended the meeting. “The signal from Obama’s body language and demeanor was, ‘I’m the president, and you’re not.’”

According to the accounts of sources inside the room, President Obama told the CEOs exactly what he expects from them, and pushed back forcefully when they attempted to defend Wall Street’s legendarily high-paying ways.

From the White House, there were five principal attendees: chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, who arrived a few minutes late, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, Council of Economic Advisers chairwoman Christina Romer, senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and director of the National Economic Council Larry Summers. Uncharacteristically, Summers said almost nothing, and it appeared to one participant as if he had been told to remain silent.

To break the ice, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon offered Geithner a fake check for $25 billion, the amount of Troubled Asset Relief Program money that the company has accepted. Although many of those in the room laughed, Geithner didn’t keep the check.

The president entered the room a few minutes later and made a lap of the table, shaking hands and saying hello to the CEOs, several of whom he called by name.

Taking his seat at the table, the president said, "So let's get to it." He spoke for several minutes without notes, giving an overview of the economic situation as he saw it. But the first comment that made an impression on several attendees was on Wall Street salaries and bonuses.

The president spoke of public outrage over the high-flying executive lifestyle. "The anger gentlemen, is real," Obama said. He urged pay reform and said rewards must be proportional, balanced, and tied to the health and success of the company.

The president described the financial system as still “fragile” and asked for cooperation from the CEOs. But he also told them he wouldn’t shy away from regulatory reform. Obama wrapped up his remarks and threw the conversation open to the table, saying, “So, who’d like to talk?”

JPMorgan’s Dimon spoke first. He began by complimenting the president on the economic team he’d assembled. And he said his industry needs to explain more directly to the American people that the economic recovery plans are already working. Dimon also insisted that he’d like to give the government’s TARP money back as soon as practical, and asked the president to “streamline” that process.

But Obama didn’t like that idea — arguing that the system still needs government capital.

The president offered an analogy: “This is like a patient who’s on antibiotics,” he said. “Maybe the patient starts feeling better after a couple of days, but you don’t stop taking the medicine until you’ve finished the bottle.” Returning the money too early, the president argued could send a bad signal.

Several CEOs disagreed, arguing instead that returning TARP money was their patriotic duty, that they didn’t need it anymore, and that publicity surrounding the return would send a positive signal of confidence to the markets.

Bank of America CEO Ken Lewis cracked a joke at the expense of his peers who’d lavished praise on the administration: “Mr. President,” he said, “I’m not going to suck up to Geithner and Summers like the other CEOs here have.” Lewis also urged the president not to paint all the banks with the same broad brush.

The president argued that’s not what the White House was doing. Indeed, earlier the same week, Obama said at a nationally televised news conference, “The rest of us can’t afford to demonize every investor or entrepreneur who seeks to make a profit.”

As the meeting wound down after nearly an hour and a half, the CEOs hustled out to live television positions on the White House grounds, where many gave interviews to CNBC.

It had been a landmark day in the history of American capitalism. Unbeknownst to the financial executives, General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner was also on Pennsylvania Avenue that day, meeting with Obama’s auto bailout task force. Although the finance CEOs got a meeting with the president, Wagoner saw only Obama’s senior advisor Steven Rattner at the Treasury Department. During the meeting, Rattner demanded Wagoner’s resignation.

It had been a tough day for CEOs in the nation’s capital.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »

The big banks don't have the money to pay him back, and most likely never will.  And of course, Obama doesn't want them to pay him back - rather he wants a different system, a system I (and many others) are well aware of.

Anyway, Obama should well know that hubris is spelled with a capital "H" (Bush might have thought it was spelled with a "u", but whatever).  The key point is that when and if the people of this country (to quote certain other people) view government as an accomplice and not as a law enforcer, it's all over and rhetoric can't save your ass.  Maybe for good. 

We're too close to that for my comfort (hanging by the string of a thread really).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »

Sadly he's really trying to help the against the masses. We've wasted how many trillions on those deadwood, while the watered down stimulus obviously isn't doing enough, if you look at the job numbers.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »

... Obama.... wants a different system, a system I (and many others) are well aware of.[/url]

But, as usual, you are too coy to tell us what you are supposedly 'aware of'.  You're like a coquettish teenage girl you are, SS.

The key point is that when and if the people of this country (to quote certain other people) view government as an accomplice and not as a law enforcer, it's all over and rhetoric can't save your ass.  Maybe for good. 

We're too close to that for my comfort (hanging by the string of a thread really).

You crazy bastard, the government is already and incredibly obviously 'the accomplice of the people' - if by 'the people' we mean the actual citizens of the country:  The owning class.

I have nothing against your clinging to privilege, Spade, just try not to be so intellectually dishonest or stupid, whichever it is.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »

Rather troubling that he's refusing to take TARP money back, when offered.  Isn't getting the money back like the entire point of the emergency loan?  Would signal confidence and everything...

My guess is he'd prefer to control the banks.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »

Step 1: Create crisis, blow it way out of proportion
Step 2: Demagogue crisis with populist rhetoric, fomenting people to raise pitchforks
Step 3: Claim you're the only thing stopping pitchforks, even though you are at least partially responsible for creating the "crisis" and fomented the rent-a-mob into action in the first place

Obama learned well from Alinsky - never let a good "crisis" go to waste.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »

I really like the image of our President standing up to these titans of finance. It kinda reminds me of TR and the barons of industry. And that is likely how they will be viewed in the history books, with the new regulation seen as the equivalent of TR's trust-busting regulation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »

I really like the image of our President standing up to these titans of finance. It kinda reminds me of TR and the barons of industry. And that is likely how they will be viewed in the history books, with the new regulation seen as the equivalent of TR's trust-busting regulation.

Obama isn't this...

Rather, he's this...

Think about it for a second and it'll become clear...

Actually, I'll post a couple of articles in a few minutes to help.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:39:39 PM »

The real solution would have been to let the giant banks fail and let smaller ones appear in their place -- smaller banks incapable of making large-volume, high-risk loans. Banking might as well be a cottage industry again; it worked better when it was exactly that. 
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »

The real solution would have been to let the giant banks fail and let smaller ones appear in their place -- smaller banks incapable of making large-volume, high-risk loans. Banking might as well be a cottage industry again; it worked better when it was exactly that. 

I have a feeling new regulations will be made that reflect a sort of modern Banking Act of 1933 (aka Second Glass-Steagall Act), where these sort of large, one-stop shop banks will no longer exist. This should allow for smaller scale, less risky banking to resurface and thrive, while still allowing for the benefits of having larger institutions capable of taking on greater risks. It's a balancing act that I hope Congress and Obama will properly handle. I like the start so far.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »

Obama isn't this...

Rather, he's this...

Oh, yes, at first I was unclear on this.  But now, that you've shown me the pictures of a good old fascist and a fake wop its all transparent.  What an troll.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

Obama isn't this...

Rather, he's this...

Oh, yes, at first I was unclear on this.  But now, that you've shown me the pictures of a good old fascist and a fake wop its all transparent.  What an troll.

Please explain how TR was a fascist.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »

^^^

I believe opebo sees it something like this: TR = cool; Fascism = cool; TR = Fascism.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »

If Obama accepts the money back now, he runs the risk that the banks will get into trouble again in the future, and the need to give the money that the banks gave back to him back to them would be particularly damaging for confidence.

Furthermore, there's a reason the Feds forced even banks who didn't want the money to take it-- if they only gave it to the banks that really needed it, then any bank on the government's 'give' list would disproportionately lose the confidence of the market, thus cancelling out the effect of government aid to begin with. This happened with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in the second half of 1932. The government must treat all of these banks equally and all of them as if they needed money. Obviously, the CEOs of the banks of different incentives as they want to differentiate their own concerns.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:22:39 AM »

If Obama accepts the money back now, he runs the risk that the banks will get into trouble again in the future, and the need to give the money that the banks gave back to him back to them would be particularly damaging for confidence.

Furthermore, there's a reason the Feds forced even banks who didn't want the money to take it-- if they only gave it to the banks that really needed it, then any bank on the government's 'give' list would disproportionately lose the confidence of the market, thus cancelling out the effect of government aid to begin with. This happened with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in the second half of 1932. The government must treat all of these banks equally and all of them as if they needed money. Obviously, the CEOs of the banks of different incentives as they want to differentiate their own concerns.

So, Obama's choosing to not accept repayment from "any" bank now?  At least that's what Stuart Varney says in the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123879833094588163.html

I'm mainly referring to the regional banks that wanted to pay off in full, not the big one, of whose rumor I doubt.

Btw, there's still a large rumor going around the Net that Goldman is going to have share offering next week (during options expiration) to pay off the TARP money they took.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

Thuggish
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »

Obama isn't this...

Rather, he's this...

Please explain how TR was a fascist.

Still waiting for an explanation, opebo.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 01:22:13 AM »

really?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies