Is America the greatest country in the world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:40:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is America the greatest country in the world?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: ??
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Is America the greatest country in the world?  (Read 28929 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »

What I'm saying is that the government here can't ban books or films, as governments can and do even in many countries which both you and I would consider free. You are onto something however: even countries like China are more free than most Americans realize. 

Here's a staggering fact: The Canadian government doesn't ban books! Neither does France! Or the UK! Or the EU! Or Brazil! Surprising, I know.

lolz
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2009, 09:55:51 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

What I'm saying is that the government here can't ban books or films, as governments can and do even in many countries which both you and I would consider free. You are onto something however: even countries like China are more free than most Americans realize. 

Here's a staggering fact: The Canadian government doesn't ban books! Neither does France! Or the UK! Or the EU! Or Brazil! Surprising, I know.

lolz

until 1985, it was illegal to import any "obscene" material into Canada, and "obscenity" was defined according to "community standards."

In the UK,blasphemy was llegal until 2008, though the laws against it were for many years almost never enforced.

And while France and the EU may not ban books, something as silly as the headscarf law would never be seriously discussed in the U.S.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many countries practice racial/ethnic/religious profiling for the sake of security. Sure, there may be some in the US who do it, and there are supporters of it, but there's at least public anger about said practices.

Anyway, I believe in many aspects we are the greatest country, though certainly not a perfect one. As a capitalist, I support our economic system. Like I said above, we are a country of individuals, and  there is usually public outrage (in the past 20-30 years or so) when racial/ethnic/religious groups are profiled by police, security, etc. Do we have our faults? Yes. Are we number one in every aspect? No. But on the whole I believe it is one of the best if not the best. (No offense to anybody who lives in another country, I realize that I, and probably most people in this country, have at least a slight bias towards the US.)
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »

until 1985, it was illegal to import any "obscene" material into Canada, and "obscenity" was defined according to "community standards."

We have the same garbage here. At least Canada appears to have gotten over that sort of backward puritan mentality. Now of course, in practice with the internet and all sort of other advancements that sort of thing is almost impossible to enforce but still...
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

lolz

Yet Germany can (France might ban far right material), and the UK has stringent libel laws that amount to prohibiting some releases.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2009, 12:46:35 AM »

Not sure, but even if it is, it is because of positive characteristics of other countries that America brought in and combined.

True, but isn't the point that the US draws a certain type of person to its shores?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:10 AM »

No, America has a fairly large number of incredibly stupid people which continually hold it back.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2009, 04:37:30 AM »

I voted yes, because on balance I do believe that the United States is the greatest country in the world. However, I do not in any way wish to denigrate or disrespect other nations, and I actually think one of the greatest things about America is that you can eat food from any culture in the world, or go to a bookstore or on the Internet and read books from any country expressing any opinion.

LOL What??

LOL at the Sessions quote in your sig.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »

lolz

Yet Germany can (France might ban far right material), and the UK has stringent libel laws that amount to prohibiting some releases.

Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »

lolz

HAHA, Yes.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »

Third option: America is the worst country in the world... except all others

Seriously though,* America is a great country, but all these politicians and other people who seem we have the right to the title no matter what we do, ("torture is wrong" "shut up, America's the greatest country in the world!"  "Maybe we shouldn't..." "Shut up, don't question your President, America's the greatest country in the world!") make me wish I lived in an underrated country Tongue

*Don't worry, I say "seriously," but I don't really mean it.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »

Yes America is the greatest country in the world!

I can't even believe this question had to be asked.

Furthermore, I can't believe that the vote is this close.

Ridiculous.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:27 AM »

Seriously, I highly doubt that anyone here knows enough about the governments of every country and what it's like to live in every country to answer this question. Anyone who voted yes would need this knowledge. Anyone who voted no would still need to do quite a bit of reading to fairly determine a fair, albeit subjective, opinion. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I doubt any of us have sufficient knowledge to cast such a judgment.

But if I'm wrong about any particular individual here, I apologize for making a foolish assumption about you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2009, 04:43:15 AM »

Ridiculous.

While I have no problem with people believing that America is the best country (I think it is in many respects).....although I personally find it foolish, as there are so many countries that offer equal liberties (and some even more).....but I find your stance to be extremely arrogant, and an indication of insufficient knowledge about the rest of the world outside of the United States. An intelligent response would be a little different, frankly, and you appear brainwashed when you say something like that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »

Ridiculous.

While I have no problem with people believing that America is the best country (I think it is in many respects).....although I personally find it foolish, as there are so many countries that offer equal liberties (and some even more).....but I find your stance to be extremely arrogant, and an indication of insufficient knowledge about the rest of the world outside of the United States. An intelligent response would be a little different, frankly, and you appear brainwashed when you say something like that.

Everybody has some degree of ethno-centrism, just some are more extreme than others. On your comment that other countries have more civil liberties, I have to partially agree with you. While yes, legally they may be freer, in practice they're not. For instance (not 100% sure about this), it is socially acceptable to racially/ethnically/religiously profile in many European  countries. Also, is government control of over half the economy free? (Not criticizing European people, who I happen to be fond of, but European government.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2009, 03:18:17 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 03:36:13 AM by Senator Franzl »

Ridiculous.

Everybody has some degree of ethno-centrism, just some are more extreme than others. On your comment that other countries have more civil liberties, I have to partially agree with you. While yes, legally they may be freer, in practice they're not. For instance (not 100% sure about this), it is socially acceptable to racially/ethnically/religiously profile in many European  countries. Also, is government control of over half the economy free? (Not criticizing European people, who I happen to be fond of, but European government.

Perfectly acceptable viewpoint...and there are many things I prefer in the U.S. to other places, as I said.

My point was that his absolute declaration that it was ridiculous to even imply that America might not be "the best" (whatever that means) is indicative of a lack of knowledge and arrogance, in my opinion.

edit: Regarding the civil liberties thing...I'm unaware of racial profiling being government policy in any European country, personally. Or were you talking more about the average citizen's attitude? That would certainly be correct. When I said some countries have more liberties, I was talking about things like....gay marriage, marijuana, not an absurd alcohol purchase age, legalized prostitution, etc. They're not incredibly important things....but if you add them up, I think they do make a difference.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »

Ridiculous.

It's maybe because other people on here aren't as clueless as you are about the world outside the US and/or aren't arrogant snobs.

I'm proud to be French-Breton and Canadian, and I'm proud of my culture (as everybody should) but I'm not a blind ethno-centrist regarding either of those countries. I recognize their numerous problems and I obviously recognize that other countries are as great, if not greater than either of the above. I appreciate other countries and other cultures, as everybody should.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »

To answer the question at hand, my answer is no.  As far as I'm concerned no country takes this title on the grounds that feel that countries and nations are nothing more but artificial concepts used to describe patches of land where people live, occasionally even being used as the basis for excuses to shut certain people out from a particular area, and so on...  Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »

The voting here is interesting, to say the least.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »

I love America. It's the greatest land in the world. Even my love for Israel is not comparable  to my love for America.

American pride!!!!

Here's my fave countries in order :

1) America (OMG IT'S A SHOCKERSSSS)
2) Israel (Shockers OMG!!)
3) England
4) Ireland
5) Aussie Land
6) Russia
7) Canada
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »

For American minorities of any definition, absolutely, monumentally, yes.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »

Ridiculous.

look which ideology runs the forum. I'm not shocked. When 30% of the forum isn't even American
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »

I'm shocked America is doing as well as it is considering the make up of the message board.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2009, 06:09:16 AM »

There are europeans who love America too. I know alot of Germans, Brits and frenchies  who wish they could live here. England is the best country in Europe though.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2009, 06:53:38 AM »

When we get rid of drug prohibition, all of our gun laws, and legal differences between straight couples, gay couples, straight polygamy, gay polygamy, interbestial couples, interbestial gay couples, etc etc etc., then America might be the greatest country in the world.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies