should it be legal to escape prison?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  should it be legal to escape prison?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should it be legal to escape prison?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: should it be legal to escape prison?  (Read 4438 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:22 AM »

a 'yes' vote does not mean that the state should make no attempt to recapture escaped prisoners, but rather, that no further punishments should be levied
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:22:40 AM »

It is essentially impossible to escape prison without any sort of damage to property (and most likely without any injury to other people in the process as well.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »

No, of course not.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »

What's the rational for this?

I mean, it's illegal to flee a police officer when you're not a prisoner and haven't done anything wrong...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

I mean, it's illegal to flee a police officer when you're not a prisoner and haven't done anything wrong...

philosophy of the law - that prisoners should be expected to want to try to escape from prison
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »

philosophy of the law - that prisoners should be expected to want to try to escape from prison

That's hardly a philosophy of the law. Most people would be expected to prefer to take something for free than buy it or ignore traffic laws when it inconveniences them as well.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »

murderers should also be expected to want to murder and thieves should be expected to steal

I'm still confused.  Isn't law specifically designed to discourage certain acts?  Isn't that the essential premise?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »

all of the examples you (plural you) have given are examples of peoples 'on the outside'.  laws are intended to discourage certain activities, yes, but once someone has committed such an egregious offense against said law, the rules are altered; criminals do not have the same rights/protections from the law that free peoples do.  in fact, they hardly have any.  why should they be expected to respect an institution that incarcerated them in the first place?

(not sure if I agree with any of this, but certain countries do.  look south)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »

It is essentially impossible to escape prison without any sort of damage to property (and most likely without any injury to other people in the process as well.)

How about community custody?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »

all of the examples you (plural you) have given are examples of peoples 'on the outside'.  laws are intended to discourage certain activities, yes, but once someone has committed such an egregious offense against said law, the rules are altered; criminals do not have the same rights/protections from the law that free peoples do.  in fact, they hardly have any.  why should they be expected to respect an institution that incarcerated them in the first place?

(not sure if I agree with any of this, but certain countries do.  look south)

The purpose of imprisonment is (or should be) to rehabilitate them to respect that institution in the future, and therefore to obey the laws. Thus, any deviation from respect of the institution of the law must be discouraged in some fashion, not merely tolerated. I'm not sure it should lengthen their sentences, precisely, but it should make parole more difficult and then, after a second violation, impossible to obtain.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to those whom the law has deemed to be permanently incarcerated without parole in any case. Whether this is even the proper usage of incarceration is a different discussion, but at the least there isn't any sort of punishment which could be added to their sentence in any case, and since they will never be expected to be released, there's no reason to encourage them to respect the law.

But I don't think such people (those imprisoned for life without parole) are punished further at the moment for escape attempts anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

But I don't think such people (those imprisoned for life without parole) are punished further at the moment for escape attempts anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

they could be put in solitary confinement or have their toilet paper privileges taken away or whatever prisons do
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »

The punishment for escaping or trying to escape prison should be a cop grabbing you by the arm and saying "nice try, friend".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »

That should be a crime and lenthen the jail time. An escape is a proof than you are able to accept the society rules and than you should stay in jail.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:20:05 AM »

This post makes me think of Les Miserables - where his original sentence was five years, but he served an additional 14 for attempts at escaping.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nonetheless, I think there needs to be some form of punishment to discourage criminals from trying it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »

This post makes me think of Les Miserables - where his original sentence was five years, but he served an additional 14 for attempts at escaping.

You stole my answer!  Angry  Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

No... if we allowed it, then they'd be little risk in escaping which means they'd do it more, which puts innocents at risk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies