McGovern Chooses Muskie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  McGovern Chooses Muskie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McGovern Chooses Muskie  (Read 1115 times)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »

How would the 1972 election have turned out if Muskie accepted McGovern's offer to be his running mate?  (I phrase it this way because McGovern offered the spot to Ted Kennedy, Muskie, Humphrey, Askew, Ribicoff, Mondale, and many other Democrats before turning to Eagleton in desperation.) 

So- what would the results look like without the Eagleton crisis and the damning '1000%' comment? 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »

Probably somewhere between

and

LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »

That bad, eh?

Well, I think its clear that McGovern would have lost, and lost badly, no matter who was his vice-presidential pick.  But I think its important to recall that McGovern was considered an interesting figure- perhaps too far to the left- but an intriguing alternative to Nixon.  It wasn't until the Eagleton decision that McGovern got tagged with the reputation of being a bungling radical speaking out of both sides of his mouth (e.g. "I support Eagleton 1000%").  Without that narrative, McGovern still loses badly, but not ignobly.

Let me suggest this as McGovern's ceiling, with Muskie on board:

He carries his home state of South Dakota and Muskie's home state of Maine.  Muskie's moderation, the respect and name-recognition he earned as the running-mate in 1968, and his Catholicism helps win keep Connecticut, New York, and Michigan customarily Democratic.  South Dakota's DFL-dominated neighbor to the east, Minnesota, goes to McGovern, as does Wisconsin, the site of his breakout primary win- between McGovern's grip on Madison liberals, and Muskie's attraction to working-class ethnics, its enough to win over the Badger State.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

[/quote]

McGovern did better in SD than most places, and Muskie was well-respected in New England. WV was very strongly Democratic at the time.

Still a disaster.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

McGovern did better in SD than most places, and Muskie was well-respected in New England. WV was very strongly Democratic at the time.

Still a disaster.
[/quote]

No, WV and Hawaii were more republican than the country in this election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies