Dressing up for church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dressing up for church
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should one dress up for church?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Dressing up for church  (Read 2672 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:52 AM »

No, fuck no. I remember watching those John Arthur Eaves ads with him and his sons dressed in suits and ties going to church and I was like "What the fuck?"

From the site of the church I'll probably go to on Easter:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »

For most churches, yes. That's what the unwritten social rule is. I think suit and tie is a bit extreme - a nice button up shirt tucked into some khaki pants with a decent pair of shoes are acceptable in most churches.

For churches like the one you are going to go to that explicitly allow casual dress, no. Though I advise wearing pants.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »

For most churches, yes. That's what the unwritten social rule is. I think suit and tie is a bit extreme - a nice button up shirt tucked into some khaki pants with a decent pair of shoes are acceptable in most churches.

I wear that on Sunday mornings, but on Sunday nights and Wenesdays I wear blue jeans and a polo shirt or T-Shirt if it is really nice.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »

Dress presentably. I get sort of dressed up (dress pants and dress shirt, maybe a tie and a sweater) for major celebrations. Otherwise, I go in shorts, jeans, t-shirt, polo, track jacket...whatever.

I think anyone would agree that wearing certain types of clothing (a beater for guys or really short shorts for girls) is just disrespectful in church.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »

Dress presentably. I get sort of dressed up (dress pants and dress shirt, maybe a tie and a sweater) for major celebrations. Otherwise, I go in shorts, jeans, t-shirt, polo, track jacket...whatever.

I think anyone would agree that wearing certain types of clothing (a beater for guys or really short shorts for girls) is just disrespectful in church.

It isn't up to us to judge what others wear to church, for all we know that person could not be saved and not know any better. We should worry about what someone wear to church, we should worry if that person is saved by the grace of God.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

I never wore a suit to church.  I'd wear a tie if I was an usher or somehow involved in the service.  Other than that I dressed as Dibble explained for Sunday mornings.  Sunday evenings jeans and a tshirt/open flannel.  Wednesday nights was shorts and tshirt (or whatever I wore to school that day).  We're talking rock concert tshirts and such.

This is a So.Baptist church in suburban St.Louis.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »

It isn't up to us to judge what others wear to church, for all we know that person could not be saved and not know any better. We should worry about what someone wear to church, we should worry if that person is saved by the grace of God.

I'm really not quick to judge...

Insert chuckles by those that think they have me figured out.

I know that some people might not have much and they go to church with whatever little they have. However, there are those that show up in the attire that I mentioned that wear what they wear to be inappropriate. I don't dwell on it. I'm at mass for other reasons. However, I still think that trying to be inappropriate is wrong.

This reminds me of the kids that were at mass not too long ago. They were about ten years old and just kept goofing off. Their mother had no control of the situation whatsoever and that annoys me to no end but I keep my mouth shut. The kids crossed the line when they started laughing out loud at the priest's Indian accent. People were visibly upset and rightfully so. When one gentleman was leaving church, he mumbled "What a disgrace" or something like that as he walked by the kids and the mother. Now I agree with the guy but at the same time, church, of all places, should not be the place to throw stones. The woman rightfully told the man to mind his own business when it comes to how she should deal with her kids. Even though I typically dislike that type of attitude (it frequently serves as a justification for having no control), she was right. She could have done more to shut her kids up and stress that they need to learn about respect but maybe she wanted to do that afterwards. Who knows?

That's exactly why I don't get visibly upset or say anything in those types of situations. If I am going to say anything, it has to be done in a mild mannered tone, not in a lecture. Saying "What a disgrace" only makes the situation worse.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

Is there anything you'd dress up (Suit, or at least polo khakis) for BRTD?

As for my answer, if I actually went to a church service, it would depend on the type of service, more formal events (Sunday service, Weddings, Funerals) I'd be in a suit...less formal "alternative stuff" (which I dislike)...definitely t-shirt, jeans etc.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2009, 11:01:45 AM by $Dan$ »

I'm really not quick to judge...

Insert chuckles by those that think they have me figured out.

I know that some people might not have much and they go to church with whatever little they have. However, there are those that show up in the attire that I mentioned that wear what they wear to be inappropriate. I don't dwell on it. I'm at mass for other reasons. However, I still think that trying to be inappropriate is wrong.

This reminds me of the kids that were at mass not too long ago. They were about ten years old and just kept goofing off. Their mother had no control of the situation whatsoever and that annoys me to no end but I keep my mouth shut. The kids crossed the line when they started laughing out loud at the priest's Indian accent. People were visibly upset and rightfully so. When one gentleman was leaving church, he mumbled "What a disgrace" or something like that as he walked by the kids and the mother. Now I agree with the guy but at the same time, church, of all places, should not be the place to throw stones. The woman rightfully told the man to mind his own business when it comes to how she should deal with her kids. Even though I typically dislike that type of attitude (it frequently serves as a justification for having no control), she was right. She could have done more to shut her kids up and stress that they need to learn about respect but maybe she wanted to do that afterwards. Who knows?

That's exactly why I don't get visibly upset or say anything in those types of situations. If I am going to say anything, it has to be done in a mild mannered tone, not in a lecture. Saying "What a disgrace" only makes the situation worse.

I was just trying to point out, that we shouldn't tell people what to wear to church. We should make people feel welcome in the church and make sure they are saved by grace and then let God deal with the other stuff.

For example:
About nine months ago a family started going to our church. The Father wore clothes like you would wear to a bar and the Mother wore clothes that a teenagers would wear. Their kids two teen girls well wore clothes that I wouldn't let my child wear. Our church welcomed them and made them feel at home. The next sunday they came back  to church and the Father got saved then slowly after that the rest of the family got saved by the grace of God. Now today that family comes to church every time the doors are open. The Father wear a suit and tie to church the mother wears very nice dresses and the kids wear dresses and nice clothes to church.

If someone would have said to them you can't wear that in church get out or if the preacher said you have to wear this and that to church that whole family most likely wouldn't have came back and would not be saved. See once someone truly gets saved God deals with the other stuff, like what to wear to church etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »

My preacher growing up would heckle kids and people doing things like that during the service.  Few things are as alarming as having the preacher yell at you in the middle of a sermon on Sunday morning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »

I was just trying to point out, that we shouldn't tell people what to wear to church. We should make people feel welcome in the church and make sure they are saved by grace and then let God deal with the other stuff.

Well, I'm not lecturing anyone what to wear. That was kind of my point. I can suggest something and find that more appropriate than some of the stuff others wear but you don't see me giving anyone nasty looks or sending rude remarks their way.

I'm all about making people feel welcome. It still irritates me a bit that my church is packed on Christmas and Easter with people that just show up to say that they were there. Amazing how so many of them get seats and some of us that are there every weekend are left standing. But you know what? I grew up and that doesn't bother me as much now. So I have to stand. Big deal. I'm not entitled to a seat. Now I'm not set on kissing ass with these people to make them come back but it's my duty to make them feel welcome.

My preacher growing up would heckle kids and people doing things like that during the service.  Few things are as alarming as having the preacher yell at you in the middle of a sermon on Sunday morning.

Haha, well, I have a pretty big church and I was standing in the back near these kids. They were loud but not loud enough for people in the front/by the altar to hear.

The best was when this one priest who was with us for awhile heard a cell phone go off right before Communion. This guy is a real character and was very popular with our parishoners so this was sort of normal behavior. So he hears the phone and says, "Tell my wife I'll be home in a little bit." It was great. He also told the ushers once, "All right, boys. Shake 'em down" right before they went around for the collection. He's great. I have to start going to his new parish for some his masses or to my Grandmom's parish (where he isn't even a priest but stops by anyway to get fed by my Grandmom).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »

I ALWAYS wear jeans. For everything. I might make a point here by deliberately wearing jeans with holes actually...

Is there anything you'd dress up (Suit

No.

Last time I had a job interview, I wore khakis and a shirt with a button. That's about it.

When I went to my cousin's wedding Saturday, my "dressing up" was not wearing my hoodie indoors and wearing a T-shirt with no writing on it. No one cared though, they were just happy I was there, unlike her father...but that's not the issue here.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »

I ALWAYS wear jeans. For everything. I might make a point here by deliberately wearing jeans with holes actually...

As long as it covers up your junk - that's what most people care about, hence the advisory for pants.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »

Yes, definitely.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »

They should, but its definitely not "mandatory".  Phil said dress presentably and that sums it up.  I'll go in a wide range from jeans and a collared pull-over to dress shirt/slacks to a full two-piece suit, it all depends on my mood and the occasion.  Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings its nearly always jeans and a collared shirt.  I have to dress up 4 days a week with dress shoes 5 days a week, so Sundays are one of my two days to dress down just a little bit.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2009, 09:29:52 PM by Lunar »

Like everything in life, dress at the same level as everyone else in social situations unless you're an angsty teenager who doesn't understand how the real world works

The internship I have at an office that has a beanbag chair...well I dress a lot differently there than other internships I've had
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »

Like everything in life, dress at the same level as everyone else in social situations unless you're an angsty teenager who doesn't understand how the real world works
^^^

Lunar said it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »

I used to wear a suit to church. It was just me and 80 year old men doing that, though.

These days, I typically wear jeans, a button up casual shirt (if you want an image, most of my wardrobe is from Tarocash - look up their website: http://www.tarocash.com.au/online/PS2/default.asp - the pinkish shirt looks like one I'd wear, or in the catalogue, the bottom one which is that pale blue) and a suit jacket over the top. The suit jacket was from a suit once upon a time, but the pants sprung a major hole and now just the jacket exists. This mode of dress is pretty similar to what I'd wear if I were going out to a club on Saturday night, so in that sense it fits BRTD's church's rule of "wear what you wore clubbing last night."

In a way, I understand dressing up for church - if you're doing it out of respect for God. Then again, I also understand that God accepts us as we are, and I likewise understand dressing casually for church so as to not make newcomers feel uncomfortable. I guess whether you dress up for church or not really depends on your motivation and both are correct depending on the circumstances, and Lunar's rule of dressing according to what others wear is probably best.

The church I attend has a massive international students outreach (I'm one of the few white faces in there). I think something like 50 different nationalities are represented among the congregation. There was an interpretive dance type thing in the service today by a woman who was very clearly professionally ballet trained - she was astonishing!
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »

Usually jeans and a polo. But on holidays(Easter and Christmas), dress shirt and khakis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

Yep, I went and didn't dress up. Smiley Neither did anyone else.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »

Yes, if one wants to.

No, if one doesn't want to.

How's that for easy?

Oh -- some sort of clothing (pants, shorts, a loincloth) should be mandatory, BRTD.  No one receiving Communion wants to see your junk.  Or mine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies