Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:53:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)  (Read 8941 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2009, 09:26:34 PM by Senator HappyWarrior »

Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act
FL 18-8 is repealed.

Sponser:  SPC
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:03:42 AM »

Obviously in favor, but do we want to add another section grandfathering in those who have become citizens under the act?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »

Obviously in favor, but do we want to add another section grandfathering in those who have become citizens under the act?

For once I am in total agreement with DWTL.  Its scary.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »

I'm introducing the following amendment:

Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act
1.) F.L. 18-8 is hereby repealed
2.) Any illegal immigrant granted citizenship under the Illegal Immigrant Act prior to passage of this bill shall not have their citizenship removed
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

I don't think they would have it revoked anyway as they became citizens of the Republic of Atlasia pursuant to Atlasian law. That those laws later changed would be immaterial.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »

What is inherently wrong with the illegal immigrant act? Or, to break it down into smaller questions:

1. Do you believe illegal immigrants should be denied healthcare? Even if they have the means to pay?
2. Should minimum wage laws not apply to illegal immigrants?
3. In your opinion, should the useless and counterproductive five-year waiting period be reinstated? Note that this would increase illegal immigration dramatically.

No comment here on a repeal of section two because presumably it's already served its purpose.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:57 AM »

1. Do you believe illegal immigrants should be denied healthcare? Even if they have the means to pay?
Illegal immigrants should not be entitled to any services they have not paid a dime for
I don't believe a minimum wage should be applied to anyway
Five-year may be drastic, but we certainly need a period and quotas.  We can't just be letting everyone in

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »

Illegal immigrants should not be entitled to any services they have not paid a dime for

Hence, even if they have means to pay?

I don't believe a minimum wage should be applied to anyway[/quote]

Even if you disagree with it, while it exists should it not be applied fairly?

Five-year may be drastic, but we certainly need a period and quotas.  We can't just be letting everyone in

[/quote]

I can understand time periods, but what good does an arbitrary quota do?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »

I'll support DWTL's amendment but might I suggest to him that he also adds a section to keep section 1 of the act, we shouldn't deny them medical care at all, even if they are illegal immigrants.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »

I'll support DWTL's amendment but might I suggest to him that he also adds a section to keep section 1 of the act, we shouldn't deny them medical care at all, even if they are illegal immigrants.

Indeed, a doctor has an ethical obligation to provide medical care to them, even if by so doing they break the law. We shouldn't put doctors in the compromising position of having to choose between their Hippocratic oath and the immigration laws of Atlasia.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

So nobody cares about my objection that DWTL's amendment is useless? *sigh*
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »

One of SPC's most atrocious proposals yet.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »

I don't think they would have it revoked anyway as they became citizens of the Republic of Atlasia pursuant to Atlasian law. That those laws later changed would be immaterial.

Sorry, I believe you're quite correct. Citizenship granted cannot later be revoked. Residency can, but citzenship cannot. At least, that's how it is here.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »

One of SPC's most atrocious proposals yet.

Actually it's one of your most disgusting bills.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »

I would say keep Section 1, Clause 1, but add another clause that will deport any illegal alien found utilizing taxpayer-funded services.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:18 AM »

Um, if I'm reading this bill right, it's likely that millions of illegal immigrants have already become citizens. I don't know that repealing it would do all that much.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »

Um, if I'm reading this bill right, it's likely that millions of illegal immigrants have already become citizens. I don't know that repealing it would do all that much.

Parts of it are still in effect (minimum wage, can't be deported because of alien status, etc.).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2009, 02:48:41 PM by Senator Lief »

I strongly support those parts. Human beings and families should be treated humanely and with respect, whether they're "illegal" or not.

edit: typo
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

I strongly suppose those parts. Human beings and families should be treated humanely and with respect, whether they're "illegal" or not.

Voice of reason.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »

Sorry, I believe you're quite correct. Citizenship granted cannot later be revoked. Residency can, but citzenship cannot. At least, that's how it is here.

Both my mother & Torie are fairly sure that this would not revoke the citizenship of any illegal immigrants who became citizens because of the Illegal Immigration Act. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

I would support a continuation of the minimum wage segement strongly, largly for the reason that it not only helps the immigrants but average Atlasian workers because companies could not just hire these immigrants because they cost less.  It enables an equal footing and good pay for both groups.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

Rather than use this as a wholesale repeal of the legislation, how about use it to amend the old one. Increase border security funding, create a feasible and humane system for detention and deportation, etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »

Rather than use this as a wholesale repeal of the legislation, how about use it to amend the old one. Increase border security funding, create a feasible and humane system for detention and deportation, etc.

My concerns over this bill is that there is a wish to repeal some existing legislation and not 'replace' it with anthing. Which is dangerous - we always have and always will have immigrants in Atlasia whether legal or not and we have to have a policy on their status and how we deal with them either way.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »

How about this offered as friendly:

The Illegal Immigrant Act of 2009
Section 1: Replacement
1. F.L. 18-8 is hereby repealed
2. Any illegal immigrant granted citizenship under the Illegal Immigrant Act prior to passage of this bill shall continue to maintain citizen status.

Section 2: State Services
1. No hospital or place of medical care may deny treatment to a person based on their status as an alien or non-citizen.
2. Within two weeks after the passage of this act, employers paying below the minimum wage to illegal aliens shall be prosecuted as if they were paying below the minimum wage to legal workers.

Section 3: Deportation
1. Any illegal immigrant found to have committed or planned to commit a crime or act of terror shall immediately be detained and deported to their country of origin.
2. Any illegal immigrant found to have received direct benefit from taxpayer-funded services shall immediately be detained and deported to their country of origin.
3. Upon detention and deportation of an illegal immigrant, any member of said immigrant's family that holds alien status may opt to return along with their family member or remain in Atlasia. This does not preclude the deportation of those aliens that wish to remain at a later date due to separate violations.
4. Detention and deportation may be delayed to allow for recovery from illness or life-threatening circumstances on a case by case basis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies