Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:36:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Repeal of the Illegal Immigrant Act (Awaiting Presidential Signature/Veto)  (Read 8860 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »

Aye.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »

I respect Senator Lief's concerns about there being no new path to citizenship for illegals that come to Atlasia from now on, and I would definitely vote against this legislation if there was any indication that former illegals would lose their citizenship for any reason that was acquired under the old law (obviously, there are legal restraints on that sort of thing, as PiT and Smid pointed out numerous times.).

Ultimately...I don't know if getting rid of a path to citizenship will really serve as a deterrent again illegal immigration, as Purple State suggests. I'm not sure it's possible to say at this point, although I do believe that something needs to be done to show potential illegals that their actions won't be rewarded should they come to this country after this bill becomes law. Obviously...what illegals received under the previous law has no effect on what future policy necessarily needs to be....and I ultimately think it's worth giving a try.

My vote is AYE.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

Aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »

Can I get the text of the final bill?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2009, 12:24:14 AM »

The Illegal Immigrant Act of 2009
Section 1: Replacement
1. F.L. 18-8 is hereby repealed

Section 2: State Services
1. No hospital or place of medical care may deny treatment to a person based on their status as an alien or non-citizen.
2. Within two weeks after the passage of this act, employers paying below the minimum wage to illegal aliens shall be prosecuted as if they were paying below the minimum wage to legal workers.
3. The government shall fully fund all services for illegal immigrants required by this law incurred by citizens of Atlasia.

Section 3: Deportation
1. Any illegal immigrant found to have committed or planned to commit a crime or act of terror shall immediately be detained and deported to their country of origin.
2. Upon detention and deportation of an illegal immigrant, any member of said immigrant's family that holds alien status may opt to return along with their family member or remain in Atlasia. This does not preclude the deportation of those aliens that wish to remain at a later date due to separate violations.
3. Detention and deportation may be delayed to allow for recovery from illness or life-threatening circumstances on a case by case basis.

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »

I'm changing my vote to an AYE.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »

The Illegal Immigrant Act of 2009
Section 1: Replacement
1. F.L. 18-8 is hereby repealed
2. No clause of this Act changes the citizenship status of any Atlasian citizen, whether they are a citizen by birth or by naturalization.

Section 2: State Services
1. No hospital or place of medical care may deny treatment to a person based on their status as an alien or non-citizen.
2. Within two weeks after the passage of this act, employers paying below the minimum wage to illegal aliens shall be prosecuted as if they were paying below the minimum wage to legal workers.
3. The government shall fully fund all services for illegal immigrants required by this law incurred by citizens of Atlasia.

Section 3: Deportation
1. Any illegal immigrant found to have committed or planned to commit a crime or act of terror shall immediately be detained and deported to their country of origin.
2. Upon detention and deportation of an illegal immigrant, any member of said immigrant's family that holds alien status may opt to return along with their family member or remain in Atlasia. This does not preclude the deportation of those aliens that wish to remain at a later date due to separate violations.
3. Detention and deportation may be delayed to allow for recovery from illness or life-threatening circumstances on a case by case basis.

That's the bill. Franzl left out s1(2), Smid's amendment.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

Aye.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »

6-1 currently. This bill has enough votes to pass.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »

I thought I'd voted, but in case I haven't, Aye.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »

Abstain
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

This Act passes.  Awaiting a Presidential Veto/signature.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »

Don't Senators still have 24 hours to change their votes?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »

Don't Senators still have 24 hours to change their votes?

Of course.  Sorry Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »

I prefer the original act.

veto

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

veto

Amazing....you bothered to come veto a bill that didn't pass anyway because the next Senate has already begun. Congratulations.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »

veto

Amazing....you bothered to come veto a bill that didn't pass anyway because the next Senate has already begun. Congratulations.

Well I'm terribly sorry, oh great Franzl. Perhaps I misunderstood (or was reading something out of date on the Wiki: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules%2C_Regulations%2C_and_Procedures#Article_9:_Transitionary_Arrangements)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »

veto

Well I'm terribly sorry, oh great Franzl. Perhaps I misunderstood (or was reading something out of date on the Wiki: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules%2C_Regulations%2C_and_Procedures#Article_9:_Transitionary_Arrangements)

I apologize, I assumed it worked like the U.S. Senate and that the end of the Senate effectively meant a "pocket veto".

Look, I've just been aggrevated because you haven't been doing anything really as President, you don't bother to sign things, veto things unless I or someone else pm's you.....you failed to respond or act on both of my messages requesting an explanation concerning your veto on the middle east act.

What the heck is going on?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »

Look, I've just been aggrevated because you haven't been doing anything really as President, you don't bother to sign things, veto things unless I or someone else pm's you.....you failed to respond or act on both of my messages requesting an explanation concerning your veto on the middle east act.

Hey, nobody reminded me this time! Tongue

But often the thread title will say something like "In debate" or "voting on cloture" and I assume my presence is not yet required. Not to say that I haven't been a few days late several times. Plus, when Lewis was PPT during my first term he kept sending me PMs immediately after a bill was passed, so perhaps I was spoiled in that regard... Smiley

And I am not required to offer an explanation when I veto something. If I do not, it's probably safe to say I agreed with the dissenting Senators' opinion. But I will try to at least offer a short explanation from now on if it means that much to you... Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »

Hey, nobody reminded me this time! Tongue

But often the thread title will say something like "In debate" or "voting on cloture" and I assume my presence is not yet required. Not to say that I haven't been a few days late several times. Plus, when Lewis was PPT during my first term he kept sending me PMs immediately after a bill was passed, so perhaps I was spoiled in that regard... Smiley

And I am not required to offer an explanation when I veto something. If I do not, it's probably safe to say I agreed with the dissenting Senators' opinion. But I will try to at least offer a short explanation from now on if it means that much to you... Tongue

Yeah, I know you're not "required" to offer any explanation.....but it would be kind of nice if it's requested....especially when more than once Wink I was worried about getting it passed because senators were waiting to vote until they saw your explanation, at least that's what I thought.

Anyway....sorry for my less than cordial tone.....in the last couple of posts....don't really mean to offend you....it's just that I would appreciate a slightly higher level of involvement and activity, especially concerning things like that. It's not that you aren't online enough.....I see that Wink No excuses!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies