Huck Keynoting in Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:58:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huck Keynoting in Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huck Keynoting in Iowa  (Read 2015 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

http://www.iowapolitics.com/index.iml?Article=155323

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has been confirmed as the keynote speaker of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry's annual convention in June.

The convention is being held June 9 to 11. ... The theme of this year's convention is "Taking Care of Business" and Huckabee, who's also an author and talk show host, was seen as having experience and insight on that theme and on health care and wellness, said ABI lobbyist John Gilliland.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »

He's gonna make a run at it.  He was really only a victory or two away from the conservatives rallying behind him, and Romney split his vote badly in the South as soon as he decided to go with the right-wing, God/Reagan-loving edge. 

You know, he would've won SC in the primary if Romney wasn't around. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »

He's gonna make a run at it.  He was really only a victory or two away from the conservatives rallying behind him, and Romney split his vote badly in the South as soon as he decided to go with the right-wing, God/Reagan-loving edge. 

It works both ways.
Romney would have won a lot of states if it wasn't for Huckabee, including Iowa, which would have really given Romney momentum going into New Hampshire.
Keep in mind, Romney had a lot more delegates than Huckabee did before Romney dropped out. If anything, Huckabee took votes away from Romney. I don't think you can say Romney took votes away from Huckabee when Romney was beating Huckabee.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »

He would've won if Thompson weren't around.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »

Just a question out of curiosity, why do you have an "Obama '08" pic on the side, but a "McCain Democrat" sig?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »

Just a question out of curiosity, why do you have an "Obama '08" pic on the side, but a "McCain Democrat" sig?

I was a McCain supporter most of the election but switched to Obama sometime around September/October.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2009, 02:31:49 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

It works both ways.
Romney would have won a lot of states if it wasn't for Huckabee, including Iowa, which would have really given Romney momentum going into New Hampshire.
Keep in mind, Romney had a lot more delegates than Huckabee did before Romney dropped out. If anything, Huckabee took votes away from Romney. I don't think you can say Romney took votes away from Huckabee when Romney was beating Huckabee.

Because I don't think Romney was AT ALL sincere in his beliefs, unlike Huckabee.  Sure the conservative split was going to go both ways, but I think Huck would've been able to pull it off in the end, which I do not think about Romney.  Besides, he might have had a delegate lead, but the primary season has a lot to do with momentum, where Romney and Huck were in a similar position of playing catch-up. 

Honestly, my opinion probably has to do with the fact that I actually like Huckabee.  Don't agree with him, but at least he believes what he says.  Romney was about as big a toolbag to come onto the political scene in a long time. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »

There is no doubt that Huckabee is running in 2012. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

http://www.iowapolitics.com/index.iml?Article=155323

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has been confirmed as the keynote speaker of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry's annual convention in June.

The convention is being held June 9 to 11. ... The theme of this year's convention is "Taking Care of Business" and Huckabee, who's also an author and talk show host, was seen as having experience and insight on that theme and on health care and wellness, said ABI lobbyist John Gilliland.

OMG!  WHY CAN"T THOSE GOP ASSHOLES LEAVE 9/11 ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIULIANI IS BEHIND THIS!!!  STOP EXPLOITING IT!!!!!111!!!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »

There is no doubt that Huckabee is running in 2012. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

I don't get it either.  It's pretty clear that Huckabee, Romney, and Palin are going to make a run for it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »

I still maintain that it's not a slam dunk.

Although when you consider that Huckabee is one of the few top-tier challengers who opposed the financial bailout as well as the stimulus, he does have a wedge issue if it's still salient.

But if no one cares about TARP in 2012, he may decide to stick to cable.  However, his media career may be boosted by repeated runs for president (see: Buchanan, Pat). 

I can't help but think that Palin and Huckabee are targeting a similar constituency, evangelicals, I wonder if that will factor into both of their decisions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies