Anyone else attending a tea party tomorrow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:27:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anyone else attending a tea party tomorrow?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Anyone else attending a tea party tomorrow?  (Read 7331 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:39 AM »

My favorite part is the lefts outrage.  As if every "peace" march ever (hyperbole) wasn't infested with antisemitics, communists and other undesirables.

It's called being hypocrites. But of course they never see it that way.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »

My favorite part is the lefts outrage.  As if every "peace" march ever (hyperbole) wasn't infested with antisemitics, communists and other undesirables.

It's called being hypocrites. But of course they never see it that way.

And of course, outrage by the right against protests by the left isn't hypocrisy at all, it's patriotism.  Correct?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

Can we agree that anybody that judges a cause by the idiots it attracts is himself being an idiot?
(meaning, just because the KKK or the Communists or the "Obama is a Muslim" crowd show up to your event doesn't mean your event is necessarily a bad/wrong thing and using it to bash the event is at best ignorant and at worst evil hypocrisy)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »

Can we agree that anybody that judges a cause by the idiots it attracts is himself being an idiot?
(meaning, just because the KKK or the Communists or the "Obama is a Muslim" crowd show up to your event doesn't mean your event is necessarily a bad/wrong thing and using it to bash the event is at best ignorant and at worst evil hypocrisy)

The problem is, these public orgies, if you will, of teabagging are organized from the ground up by a number of self-serving conservative politicians, lobbyists, corporate groups and media organizations. This is not some grassroots, anti-taxation protest. And even if it were, what it's protesting is ridiculous. Are you seriously equating a bunch of crazy people protesting tax rates on people much richer than they are being returned to 10% lower than they were during Reagan's term with people that protest, for example, things like the Iraq War or the PATRIOT Act or civil rights or whatever. Even ignoring the vile, racist scum that'll no doubt be attracted by these events, they're nonetheless stupid, hypocritical shams.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »

The problem is, these public orgies, if you will, of teabagging are organized from the ground up by a number of self-serving conservative politicians, lobbyists, corporate groups and media organizations. This is not some grassroots, anti-taxation protest. And even if it were, what it's protesting is ridiculous. Are you seriously equating a bunch of crazy people protesting tax rates on people much richer than they are being returned to 10% lower than they were during Reagan's term with people that protest, for example, things like the Iraq War or the PATRIOT Act or civil rights or whatever. Even ignoring the vile, racist scum that'll no doubt be attracted by these events, they're nonetheless stupid, hypocritical shams.

There's more taxes than just the federal income tax. I live in NJ, I have the highest tax burden in the country, so don't tell me I don't have a right to complain about paying high taxes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »

Aside from the sales tax, surely you're not old enough to be paying taxes yet?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2009, 10:59:31 AM by paul718 »

The problem is, these public orgies, if you will, of teabagging are organized from the ground up by a number of self-serving conservative politicians, lobbyists, corporate groups and media organizations. This is not some grassroots, anti-taxation protest.

The tea party by me was organized by a guy named Frank Santarpia.  He's a retiree with zero connection to politics or any of those groups.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you trivializing the fact that the government is having fun with America's credit card?  I'm not going to debate the merits of the tea-partygoers' motivation, but you can't dismiss a public sentiment just because you don't agree with it.  There were plenty of people who made the same comments as you regarding anti-war protests..."Why are they protesting the war?  Don't they realize getting rid of Saddam would be a good thing?"..."Why are they protesting the Patriot Act?  Don't they realize it's our best weapon against terrorism?"  I don't personally agree with those statements (I am anti-war, and conflicted as to the Patriot Act), but those arguments  are very similar to yours. 

While we're comparing the two types of protesters...has there been any violence or public disorder at any of these "tea parties"?  I distinctly recall violence, blocking of ambulence routes, and preventing people from getting to work, at the 2004 RNC protests in New York.  I have no stomach for that sh**t.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »

Aside from the sales tax, surely you're not old enough to be paying taxes yet?

Surely I am.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »

No way!  Judging by your contributions to the forum, I had you pegged that you were in your early teens.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »

No way!  Judging by your contributions to the forum, I had you pegged that you were in your early teens.

Too early to deem this the Zing of the day?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »

Too early to deem this the Zing of the day?

Maybe. Don't see it getting beaten though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

If Rowan is any older than 14 he should be rather embarassed.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »

If Rowan is any older than 14 he should be rather embarassed.

For what?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »

Sheer stupidity and hackery.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »

of course not why would i do something as pathetic as these protests. now if you told me there was a ship in boston harbor full of tea, and we all dressed up as indians i could probably be convinced to join in on dumping it overboard.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »

Democrats: Doesn't feel weird to finally be part of what Nixon called the "silent majority"? I must say that it is strange and also pretty awesome.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

Simply approving of the President and essentially supporting the establishment is strange.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »

This entire thing is ridiculous, and anyone who attends such an event ought to pull their heads out of their asses: where were they during the Era of Compassionate Conservatism?

Funny, no one has really answered this one yet.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »

What are we protesting? The taxes haven't gone up yet. If they do, then get mad! Anyway, I am against protesting things. I find it annoying and pointless.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

Democrats: Doesn't feel weird to finally be part of what Nixon called the "silent majority"? I must say that it is strange and also pretty awesome.

Isn't it crazy? The people who have been laughing at protests for 40 years up through the anti-Iraq, anti-Bush, and anti-anti-immigrant rallies and slamming every Democratic candidate for office as a peace-loving hippie are out there teabagging for the cameras, waving signs and wearing costumes, expecting to have some results.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 04:24:56 PM »

Anyway, I am against protesting things. I find it annoying and pointless.

Perhaps you and I should begin protesting against these outrageous public displays of unrest. Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2009, 06:14:06 PM by Snowguy716 »

Argh.. I deleted my previous post... yeah

There was a protest here with 100 people that backed up traffic and really awful country music blaring.

I should also add that a lot of people were yelling nasty stuff at the protesters...

There were also a few skirmishes and shouting matches... but we live in an economically liberal area close to the Canadian border with a large Native American presence... over-the-top conservative patriotism doesn't fly.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

First of all, I really can't, since my community isn't that conservative; and secondly, I have better things to do even if there was a tea party mob in my community.

Don't you live in Orange County? I'm sure there are some teabaggings going on around here.LOL.

I would have had to go to Laguna Beach, which was not in my direction.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »

First of all, I really can't, since my community isn't that conservative; and secondly, I have better things to do even if there was a tea party mob in my community.

Don't you live in Orange County? I'm sure there are some teabaggings going on around here.LOL.

I would have had to go to Laguna Beach, which was not in my direction.

So they are having it in the 2nd most democratic and the most liberal OC city? Is the other one in Santa Ana?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »

Argh.. I deleted my previous post... yeah

There was a protest here with 100 people that backed up traffic and really awful country music blaring.

I should also add that a lot of people were yelling nasty stuff at the protesters...

There were also a few skirmishes and shouting matches... but we live in an economically liberal area close to the Canadian border with a large Native American presence... over-the-top conservative patriotism doesn't fly.
they were blaring country music... they should be tar and feathered i have no tolerance for scum like that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies