What if... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:40:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If the Texas Legislature were to pass articles of secession and begin governing themselves, would you support military action as a last resort to bring them back into the United States?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: What if...  (Read 1844 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 15, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »

Ok, some unique perspective here...

I am from Connecticut. I work in the Texas legislature for one of the most conservative members.

This is the thing. Texas in one of those states with unique patriotism, not saying if it's good or bad, but both conservatives and liberals alike seem to reserve a special place for the Texan part of their heritage (something I have little of being a Connectican Connecticutite being from Connecticut. The main feeling many people have who utter the word secession are either:

1. Insane Libertarians who care nothing for this place called reality.

2. People who realize Texas is uniquely positioned to be much better off separate from the US.

Before you go off the wall with ideas of blockade, blah blah blah, just remember any new Republic of Texas would have a corporate tax much less than the US. In a poor economic climate, the Texas economy (already still in great condition with a government easily in the black financially) would instantly be very robust.

I OF COURSE don't condone any idea of the sort, but there is the feeling down here of confusion. As the news comes in from all over the country of the horrible shape the economy is in, how miserable people are, people in Texas, from Mexican immigrants to the rich say "misery? where?" And people ask themselves why they should be included in government expansion and tax rises that we (Texans) don't need.

Any of that make sense? I'd really like to discuss this without crazy talk from either perspective.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

Ok, some unique perspective here...

I am from Connecticut. I work in the Texas legislature for one of the most conservative members.

This is the thing. Texas in one of those states with unique patriotism, not saying if it's good or bad, but both conservatives and liberals alike seem to reserve a special place for the Texan part of their heritage (something I have little of being a Connectican Connecticutite being from Connecticut. The main feeling many people have who utter the word secession are either:

1. Insane Libertarians who care nothing for this place called reality.

2. People who realize Texas is uniquely positioned to be much better off separate from the US.

Before you go off the wall with ideas of blockade, blah blah blah, just remember any new Republic of Texas would have a corporate tax much less than the US. In a poor economic climate, the Texas economy (already still in great condition with a government easily in the black financially) would instantly be very robust.

I OF COURSE don't condone any idea of the sort, but there is the feeling down here of confusionAs the news comes in from all over the country of the horrible shape the economy is in, how miserable people are, people in Texas, from Mexican immigrants to the rich say "misery? where?".  And people ask themselves why they should be included in government expansion and tax rises that we (Texans) don't need.

Any of that make sense? I'd really like to discuss this without crazy talk from either perspective.

dude, there is no confusion in Texas.  We've been through our own minidepression back in 1986, and no one I have spoken to this afternoon is in favor of secession.  They are just as shocked at Perry's comments as I am.  We are Americans before we are Texans.  And I should know, I am a native Texan.

Perry just lost my vote.

You didn't talk to a lot of people today.

If Perry lost your vote, I'm sorry to inform you right now your other two Republican choices are a pro-choicer and an open secessionist. Perry is whipping up far right support to try and cut KBH off at the knees, but the FEELING of "why does Texas have to put up with this?" is very real (again, valid or nuts does not matter) and if you haven't discovered that yet then you're far astray from the pulse of many people.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »

Let them go. As soon as the last of the few remaining oil wells dries up, Texas automatically crashes economically without support from the other 49. I don't want them, and we don't need them.

Severe ignorance about how the Texas economy works.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies