Confederacy wins war (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:02:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Confederacy wins war (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you following this TL ?
Yes (like it)

Yes (don't like it)

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Confederacy wins war  (Read 21142 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« on: April 15, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »

Just a couple of things
1-I doubt Goldwater would ever come close to JFK in the polls. Part of the reason that he won the nomination was the fact that no one believed that the GOP could win, and they were more willing to nominate a right-winger.

2-It seems unlikely Kennedy would have kept LBJ on the ticket. He likely would have replaced him with either George Smathers or (more likely) Terry Sanford.

3-Kennedy would not have escalated the war in Vietnam. He likely would have kept a US prescience, but he was one of the few members of the military (he being the Commander in Chief) that believed that Vietnam was unwinnable (I for one dispute that it wasn't, but that's another story).

4-Nixon would not be the nominee in 1968. He did not want to get back into politics, and seemed to be on the course of becoming a respected elder statesman. But because of the anger in the nation at the policies of LBJ and the rise of the counter-culture, Nixon was a logical choice. Instead, either Rockefeller or Romney would be the nominee.

5-To replace LBJ for the Democratic nominee in 1968, I would put either Sanford or Smathers (whoever the VP). It would be difficult for them to win, but possible. In this case I can't see Wallace running, but if someone like HHH, Scoop, or RFK won the nomination then he would run as a segregationist.

6-I assume Bobby would run for the Senate in 1968 (he would likely stay on as AG under his brother).

7-But my biggest concern is the state of the Democratic Party. I know your French, so it might be difficult to understand, but Kennedy was by no means a modern liberal. He supported a strong military and low taxes, while supporting a large federal involvement in the economy.  Had he survived, the party would follow his lead, and remain the party of the working class, not the college class. So McGovern would not win the nomination in 1976. It would probably be Jackson, HHH, or Muskie. I also find it odd how dominant you made Reagan, for no particular reason.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »

Interesting timeline, but perhaps you should read more about American history.

1-Kennedy hated Johnson personally. He only put him on the ticket in 1960 because he needed a moderate southerner.

2-Reagan' rise to glory was caused by the cultural divisions in America that arose in the late 1960s. He was able to take Nixon's "Silent Majority" (which would not have existed in this time line) and turn it into a super-majority. You ever heard of Reagan Democrats? Well they were big Kennedy fans. In Macomb County (a Detroit Suburb) Kennedy won 60% of the vote in 1960. In 1980, Reagan won 60% of the vote there. This is because the white working-class turned on the Democrats.

Nonetheless, I still like your concepts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies